Frozen Veins

Frozen Veins

A Story by Voxharmony
"

I don't think this piece is that great, something about the style irks me, but I'm heartbroken by the concept.

"

“Can I trust you? This place is a secret!” Dennis’ blue eyes shone brilliantly in his round face that was now filling with excitement. “Ya, I won’t tell a soul, cross my heart!”

But that was years ago. They had been children then, carefree and adventurous. Nicole stood alone now in warm October’s air. Maybe it hadn’t been a good idea to come back here, but when would she get another chance? It wasn’t often her job in the city allowed her a visit home. Standing there now at the edge of her old forest playground, Nicole couldn’t help trying to believe that not much had changed since her child hood; excuse perhaps the height of the trees and the foreign presence of new neighbourhoods.  But it was the smell in the wind and the rustle of the trees losing their crown that told her she was back. It was that crystal clear identity of the air flowing around her single body that began to get to her. It wasn’t without some hesitation that she began at a slow pace into the forest. Fallen leaves crunched rhythmically under her grown feet, and with each step memories of young voices running through time whizzed past her face alongside the whistles of the air.

They had been so alive here, both so healthy; like the glow of a forest adorned with summer. This fall atmosphere seemed more appropriate now, perhaps it was better Nicole had delayed her trip. Following the intuition of her memory, Nicole wondered on until she approached their favourite, most sacred place. Memories flooded back through her mind while the small creek that once served as a mighty ocean flowed ominously through the years. Nicole paused at the water’s edge and held her hand in the water.

                                                                     Cold as death.

 So much time had been spent in this hidden glade; time shared only with each other and the occasional visiting toad. If only the trees and hills that so densely surrounded the clearing could listen and speak, then perhaps they could offer Nicole some empathy. Her sigh blended into the creaking of the trees as she pushed past branches and disturbed the leafy ground with her steps. Her jacket caught on a branch as the old train tracks came into sight. The ground held their memory of when, as 12 year olds, they had laid beside the track listening for the vibrations of the oncoming train. She remembered the wild re-enactments of television shows, and later the conversations of life, love and the future while sitting on the endless rail.

Now she slowly leaned down to touch the tracks, and kneeling she rested her knees on them. She remembered the day Dennis told her he was sick.  She remembered the shared promises, shared hope, and the alone tears. Dennis had shown her this magical escape, but fate had chosen him to be the first one to leave. Emotion thawed Nicole’s frozen veins as she left. The trains were silenced and the tracks would rest.  

© 2012 Voxharmony


Author's Note

Voxharmony
Tell me what you think of the visual. I was really going for setting here, if i remember correctly.
Time Stamp: early 2011

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
Added on August 21, 2012
Last Updated on August 21, 2012
Tags: love, lost, heartbreak, death, sick, life, loss, pain, memories

Author

Voxharmony
Voxharmony

Canada



About
Why hello there! I'm an experimental writer, struggling to find my ambition and my niche. I'd love some reviews and feedback. Some people write for themselves, some for others, I for both. Let me kn.. more..

Writing
Red Gates Red Gates

A Story by Voxharmony