for safekeeping

for safekeeping

A Stage Play by M. Keala Milles, Jr.

FOR SAFEKEEPING
A play in two acts
By:  M. Keala Milles, Jr.
1/2000-7/2000

 

PERSONS REPRESENTED
(in order of appearance)
LUCAS….........……...……...........…………(M) early twenties
ROSS…...................….(M) his roommate, also early twenties
JANINE…........……....…(F) Ross’ current girlfriend, same age
APARTMENT MANAGER…….(F) late twenties/early thirties
NEIGHBOUR KID…...........……….....(F) about ten years old
RADIO VOICES…............……….…..…………......irrelevant
(can be doubled with MGR or KID, if desired)
DELIVERY PERSON……….………….…………..irrelevant
(can also be doubled)

  

SETTING
        The majority of the play takes place in Lucas’ and Ross’ apartment, alternating between different rooms, but primarily in the living room.  All other scenes can be determined through blocking and downstage lighting.  The present story takes place during  early Spring which is determined in the descriptions on the radio.  Certain flashbacks are also determined using seasonal references from the radio.
        Also, furniture and things start to disappear as the play goes.  As it is, Ross and Lucas are deconstructing the apartment due to motivations coming from outside their personal restriction:  Ross is deciding to leave Lucas and move in with his new girlfriend, while Lucas is ending his metamorphosis from childhood into adulthood.  Lucas is therefore frazzled and scatter-brained about moving the items, but still participates, somehow knowing where they will end up and how they will get there.  It is also a means for him to find his safe, and therefore the majority of this action takes place within the second act.

 

  

F        o        r                 A        l        e        x

  

 

For Safekeeping
A comedy by:  M. Keala Milles, Jr.

 

ACT I
Scene 1:  An apartment living room. Monday morning in Spring 1999

 

Lights at half on LUCAS as he enters the LIVING ROOM wearing a royal blue robe and white tube socks.   There is a couch and coffee table about C.  SR of them is the KITCHEN and LIVING ROOM, raised a step or two above the main set and  consisting mainly of a counter and a table and chairs.  Far US is the front door and a coatrack.  Next to the coatrack, on the wall, is a clock that doesn’t work.  DS of the kitchen is a bedroom, serving to set LUCAS’ BEDROOM,  as well as JANIE’S, (only needed in the Flashback scene to come).  Some of the other Flashback scenes happen along the DS edge/apron.  

 

He goes into the kitchen, makes a cup of coffee and looks for some grapes to eat in the bowl of fruit on the kitchen table, but their aren’t any.  Sipping his coffee, he moves to the front door of the apartment, opens the door and grabs a newspaper from the floor.  Shaking it open, he returns to the dining room, turns on a radio, and  sits at the kitchen table, reading.  (The radio should be tuned to a classical station and playing Vivaldi’s FOUR SEASONS, SPRING-MUSIC CUE #1).   As he sits, JANIE (YOUNG JANINE) enters SL with her school bag, in jeans and a pink t-shirt.  She sits on a bench, waiting.  LUCAS gets up and disrobes to reveal a white t-shirt and acid-washed denim shorts.  He places the robe on the coatrack and puts on a pair of tennis shoes, suddenly becoming LUKE (YOUNG LUCAS) picking up a bookbag and exiting through the front door.  There should be some kind of LIGHTING CUE that signifies to us that this scene is taking place in another time and follows them from the bench outside the JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (DL) to JANIE’S BEDROOM (DR).  

  

YOUNG JANINE (JANIE) sitting on a bench.  YOUNG LUCAS (LUKE) joins her, entering SR.  They are students in  junior high school, sitting in the courtyard behind the building.  She giggles.

 

         LUKE:  What? 
        JANIE: So now we’re going out.  This so cool.  I can’t wait to tell… 
        LUKE: No.  We can’t tell anyone.  This works best if it’s a secret.  (Convincing)  It’s more fun it it’s only for us.  (Beat.  Then, as they exit).  No one else can know…. 

 

They cross to LUCAS’ BEDROOM, serving as JANIE’S BEDROOM in this scene. They sit on the bed.

 

        JANIE:  Wow, thanks for walking me home Luke.  You’re the perfect boyfriend. 
        LUKE:  Shh….quiet. 
        JANIE:  Now, you show me yours and I’ll show you mine. 
        LUKE:  What? 
        JANIE:  I’ll show you mine if you show me yours… 
        LUKE:  Why? 
        JANIE:  Because that’s what you do when you go out, silly! 
        LUKE:  But you don’t have anything I want…(she opens her shirt)...to see. 
        JANIE:  Now you. 
        LUKE:  What? 
        JANIE:  You.  Now…go ahead. 
        LUKE:  (taking off his shirt)  There. 
        JANIE:  No!  That’s not it! 
        LUKE:  Well that’s what you showed me. 
        JANIE:  Fine.  (She unbuttons her jeans). 
        LUKE:  See, like I said, you don’t have anything…!

 

END FLASHBACK.  LUKE gets up, frustrated, and leaves JANIE’s house.  He re-enters through the front door, removes his shoes, replaces the robe,  moves  back into the kitchen and sits again at the table, reading his paper.  JANIE disappears OS.  LUCAS takes a sip of coffee and chokes on it.  It is cold now.  There is an AM RADIO on in the background.

 

        RADIO:  Showers again.  High temperature today of about fifty-four degrees.  Winds from the north-northwest at a quiet three miles an hour. Pretty typical for an April morning…

 

Enter ROSS.  He is mild-mannered, but snide and sarcastic, quick-witted, but illogical.    He enters in a pair of fancy striped silk boxers, a white tank top, and house slippers.  His hair should be of the “fresh out of bed” sort.  His entrance should be more grandeur than a casual morning awakening.

 

        ROSS:  Hey, good mornin’ roomy.   
        LUCAS:  
Hey. 
        ROSS:  
What ya readin’? 
        LUCAS:  
Technology page. 
        ROSS:  
Anything good? 
        LUCAS:  
They’re saying that anytime now, people aren’t going to need to leave their homes for anything anymore.  Because with the intenet, everything you will ever need you can order online. 
        ROSS:  Well, then I guess we should invest in that then, huh?  (Beat).  Can you pass me the finance page?  Just give me that and I’ll get out of your way. 
        LUCAS:  (looking at him with returned sarcasm)  Don’t you get it?  Pretty soon human interaction is going to be a minimum component of our lives.  Our interpersonal communication will basically consist of “Thank you.  Goodbye.” 
        ROSS:  Hey, man, don’t feel so bad about it.  Most people say more to you than that.  So you’ve got nothing to worry about.  (He laughs and grabs an apple from the fruit bowl on the table).  Except for maybe that neighbour kid who always comes over asking for… 
        LUCAS:  
The brat in 401?  Yeah, all she does is hold out her hand, smile and says…(He hands ROSS the finance page).
        ROSS:  
Thank you
        LUCAS:  (shooing him away)  
Goodbye.  (ROSS exits to the bedroom humming a song.  He picks up one of the dining table chairs and takes it with him.  LUCAS turns the page, still intensely reading.  Beat.   ROSS returns wearing a pair of khakis and brown oxfords, putting on a polo shirt).  I thought I heard her outside five minutes ago, but it wasn’t her.  It was Ole Mrs. Baxter’s cat.  Again.
        ROSS:  
You know, you sound really upset by that. 
        LUCAS:  
Yeah, I never was very fond of that feline. 
        ROSS:  (Giving him a sarcastic look)
No, I mean the
        LUCAS:  I
know.  I’m just afraid that there might come a day when we will no longer be able to have the stimulating conversations every morning, epitomized in the frank exchange we just shared.  I rue the day.  (Beat.)
        ROSS:  (Hesitant)  
OK.  Well, I’m going to go to class in about fifteen minutes or so (he looks up at the clock on the wall), so I’ll see you later today. 
        LUCAS:  Oh, I count the minutes.
        ROSS:  
Hey, you know that you’re clock stopped, right? 
        LUCAS:  (Incredibly apathetic) The one on the wall, yeah, I just haven’t gotten around to putting new batteries in it yet. 
        ROSS:  You feelin’ alright today, Luke ol’ buddy? 
        LUCAS:  
Yes, I’m fine.  And why do you insist on calling me Luke? 
        ROSS:  
Because that’s your name. 
        LUCAS:  
No.  My name is Lucas.  As in George Lucas, not Luke… Skywalker. 
        ROSS:  OK, (uncertain) gotcha.  I’m um, gonna hit the grocery store on the way back.  Can you think of anything you need? 
        LUCAS:  No, not off the top of my head.
        ROSS:  
OK, then, later. 
        LUCAS:  OK, then…

  

Exit ROSS through the front door of the apartment.  Note that from here on after, ROSS will check the clock upon every entrance and exit, especially through the front door.

 

        LUCAS:  Yeah.
        RADIO:  
This one is a special request from Allison to Michael.  She says loving you is Bittersweet…

 

Song plays on the radio, relevant to JANINE.  MUSIC CUE #2.  LUCAS reads his paper and pours another cup of coffee.  His cell phone rings.

 

        LUCAS:  Hello?  Hi, I’ll call you back, I’m at home.  (He hangs up his phone, gets up and moves to the apartment phone opposite stage).  Hey, so what’s up.  Uhumm.  Mhmm.  Yeah.  I got that, yeah!  Well, then how ‘bout tonight.  No.  Alright.  Well, just let me…(the other line hangs up)...know.  Hmph.  ( He hangs up the phone and goes back to his paper and coffee.  The apartment phone rings again).  Yeah?  No, he’s not, he went to class…Oh, he’s not there?  Well, I don’t know where he is!  He told me had to go to class, and I saw him leave and he’s  not here, so my guess is he should be in class…Yes, I know he’s not there, but that’s where he said he was going.  Maybe he just decided he would skip class today….right, he never misses this class because it’s his favourite.  Well I should hope so, it is in his major…Yes, well I’ll let him know the next time I see him…When will that be?  Well…how about whenever he gets home…I don’t know when that will be, hopefully within a couple of hours.  OK.  OK.  Alright!  Bye now.  (He hangs up the phone).  What the boy wouldn’t do without me….

 

FLASHBACK SEQUENCE:  During the change, classical music plays loudly until the dialogue begins, again from FOUR SEASONS-WINTER (MUSIC CUE #3).  We are flashing back to a couple of weeks before.  ROSS has returned and is sitting at the kitchen table, distressed, with a plate of white toast and a stick of butter before him and a butter knife in hand.  LUCAS is behind him consoling him.  He has a coffee mug and a pot of coffee on the counter top next to the dinner table.

 

        ROSS:  (Buttering the toast) What am I going to do?  I can’t tell her…You!  You better not…! 
        LUCAS: 
 I won’t do anything.
        ROSS:  
Please  Don’t tell Janine.  
        LUCAS:  
I’m not going to say anything.  (Mumbling) Why would I, she doesn’t want to talk to me anymore anyway. 
        ROSS:  What…did you say something? 
        LUCAS:  Huh?  No….Look!  (Picks up the coffe mug) You’re a man!  You act on instinct.  You make mistakes.  That doesn’t necessarily give you the right to get blasted and f**k the first freshman you find at a house party- 
        ROSS:  She wasn’t a true freshman!  (Takes a bite of the toast).
        LUCAS:  
...but it should still give you some crediblity, some excuse- 
        ROSS:  (Still with food in his mouth) And I talked to at least four others- 
        LUCAS: 
 Freshmen? 
        ROSS:  Girls! 
        LUCAS:  Freshman girls?  Well, that’s it then!  You were being protective.  You didn’t want to be an a*s and just cheat on Janine with the first gi…. freshman girl you could find�"that would cheapen it-you had to make sure she was acceptable.  I mean Janine isn’t the kind of girl you just cheat on, you have to work for it.  (Hidden) And believe me,   I know… (Finishes the cup)
        ROSS:  
Yeah….hey!  (He almost catches the slip).
        LUCAS:  
Now, now, it’s only fair.  (Goes to the countertop) They all deserve a shot and you gave it to them, but only one strike your target!  (Pours another cup, gestruing the innuendo) That’s just the way it is.  They should be happy you even considered them and took the time to speak to them, I mean…look at you!  You’re Ross!  What girl wouldn’t want to have a chance with you, huh?  Well, I mean, you do have your standards, and you only spoke to…how many was it? 
        ROSS:  Girls? 
        LUCAS:  Freshman girls. 
        ROSS:  I dunno…five, total, maybe? 
        LUCAS:  And there were how many girls there? 
        ROSS:  ...a hundred, or so…I really can’t remember�" 
        LUCAS:  One-hundred frosh girls, oh, we should all be so lucky (takes a sip).  So you chose five out of one-hundred worthy enough to even talk to, and then only one applicant was able to rightly fill the position… 
        ROSS:  Yeah…yeah, I guess so (Takes a large bite out of the toast).
        LUCAS:  
Or should I say had the right position for you to fill….so that would mean that five out of one-hundred, which is… 
        ROSS:  Five percent…? 
        LUCAS:  There you go with that quick wit and Calculus…but five percent!  They should all be flattered. 
        ROSS:  Yeah, yeah I guess you’re right. 
        LUCAS:  
Five percent of all the girls at that party worthy enough to even compete with Janine, and only one..ONLY ONE who could possibly compare to her.  (He takes a big swig, as if he earned it).
        ROSS:  (convinced, completely)
Yeah.  Yeah that sounds about right. 
        LUCAS:  
Now if we can only can get Janine to understand that, I mean you’ve only been dating her for… 
        ROSS:  Three years. 
        LUCAS:  Three years, and not once before this, ever cheated, or should we say, explored any other options before, ever even compared anyone else to her, or gave her competition�" 
        ROSS: ...Right.  You’re right (Finishes one slice, then butters another and takes a bite).
        LUCAS:  
And you picked her out of the entire freshman class of this University, out of the entire student body.  What is that?  More like less than one percent!  You were much more careful choosing her than with that party girl. 
        ROSS:  Nicole. 
        LUCAS:  Nicole? 
        ROSS:  That’s her name.
        LUCAS:  
OK, good you remember her name.  What’s your girlfriends name? 
        ROSS:  
Janine. 
        LUCAS:  
No hesitation.  See, your set! 
        ROSS:  Right.
        LUCAS:  So don’t worry about it.  There are plenty of women out there. 
        ROSS:  But none like her. 
        LUCAS:  As long as she thinks that, you’ll be fine.  It took you one drunken night night with a freshman girl to figure that out.  Some guys never figure that out!  (He puts the cup on the counter
        ROSS:  Yeah, I guess that makes sense…(Takes a bite from the cold, stale toast). 
        RADIO:  Tomorrow’s weather looks the same:  light to moderate showers with a chance of sunbreaks in early afternoon… 
        ROSS:  I feel better now.  Thanks. (He exits). 
        RADIO: Sporatic clouds and winds just off the coast should keep it cool all day… 
        LUCAS:  (On his way to turn off the radio) Yeah, don’t mention it… (He takes a sip from his coffee.  ROSS is  staring forward, as if intrigued; LUCAS, determined).
        RADIO:  In the low fifties which will continue through the night, dropping to about mid-forties around sunset….It is definitely February weather…

  

END FLASHBACK SEQUENCE.  The song from MUSIC CUE #2 fades in again�"  MUSIC CUE #4.  LUCAS reaches the stereo and turns it off.  ROSS has already snuck off stage.

 

        LUCAS:  I hate that song.  (There’s a KNOCK at the door.)  Oh great, it’s probably that neighbour kid again.  (He opens the door to discover it is the apartment manager.)
        MGR:  
Hi.  Luke right? 
        LUCAS:  
Actually, it’s Lucas… 
        MGR:  
Oh, I’m sorry, Lucas.
        LUCAS: 
 It’s quite all right.  What can I do for you. 
        MGR:  Just letting you know that there have been some thefts in the building recently.  I am checking to make sure that everyone is safe and that no one is missing anything. 
        LUCAS:  What if I am missing my safe? 
        MGR:  What?  Oh, that’s a joke.  That’s very funny.
        LUCAS:  
No, I’m serious, my safe is missing.  I’m glad you came by.  I haven’t been able to find it, and I can’t figure out what happened to it, but that makes sense now, I guess.  (He takes a moment to try and figure out what is going on.)  How could…but who…? 
        MGR:  It’s news to me too.  You’re whole safe and everything in it? 
        LUCAS: 
 No, just part of it. 
        MGR:  (With realized sarcasm and returned apathy) Well, we are working on a number of problems right now and we’ll get on your safe immediately…as soon as we can.  If you have any more information or questions regarding the safe, or witness anything or have information pertaining to any other suspicious incidences, please do not hesitate to come by the office or leave a voice mail.  In the meantime, be sure to lock up, especially at night.  I will let you know if anything comes up.   
        LUCAS:  OK, thank you, (under his breath)...I think. 
        MGR:  (smiling)
Goodbye.
        LUCAS:  
Goodbye.  (He starts to close the door when ROSS enters US carrying three bags of groceries.  It doesn’t really matter what is in the bags, but should achieve humour.  Frivolous items like marbles and juice boxes, or especially more bread and butter-and lot’s of it, may acquire the desired effect).
        ROSS:  
Whoa!  Hold the door!  Give me a hand here, will ya? 
        LUCAS:  (starts clapping) Congratulations, you went grocery shopping all by yourself.  And you even remembered paper in the plastic?  Mama, mama, he’s-a growin’ up! 
        ROSS:  Very funny, now help me out!  (LUCAS grabs a bag,  puts it on the kitchen table, and starts to unpack it, and as he does so reacts to each of the strange purchases).
        LUCAS:  
So how was class today? 
        ROSS:  Fine. 
        LUCAS:  
Really?  That’s funny because Janine called and said you weren’t there; that it was your favorite class, but you weren’t there. 
        ROSS:  She’s not even in that class.
        LUCAS:  
Oh, yeah, she said something about skipping her lunch break to spend time with you….Hot damn!  She’s such a sweetheart.  You better hope you don’t lose her by… 
        ROSS:  
....sleeping with Nicole again? 
        LUCAS:  (Aware and incredibly sarastic)  
You didn’t?  You did!  You sly, sly dog!  And you still found time to get groceries. You screw her on campus? 
        ROSS:  What? 
        LUCAS:  (Getting increasingly excited)
Where, in the foyer behind the botany lab? 
        ROSS:  
The greenhouse. 
        LUCAS:  
You fucked her in the greenhouse? 
        ROSS:  No, that’s what it’s called. 
        LUCAS:  
There’s a position called the greenhouse?  What, do you photosynthesize eachothers’ gametes? 
        ROSS:  Stop f****n’ around!  We did it at her place. 
        LUCAS:  Which is? 
        ROSS: 
 Just off campus… 
        LUCAS:  Next to…Behind… 
        ROSS:  
huhmmm… 
        LUCAS:  
Come on, help me out here. 
        ROSS:  (Finally giving in)
She lives in the dorms.
        LUCAS:  
Ooh!  Screwing a boarder huh?  Her bed or her roommates? 
        ROSS:  Huh? 
        LUCAS:  The floor? 
        ROSS:  (Almost offended, still enjoying the prodding)
What? 
        LUCAS:  (epiphany)
Study room!  You photosynthesized her in a study room!  I knew it.  I knew you wouldn’t let me down.  I knew you wouldn’t just settle for something simple like “her place…”�"studying a little of the good ol’ A&P, were you…? 
        ROSS:  Hey, just shut up, alright!  You’re taking all the fun out of it. 
        LUCAS:  (He pulls out a laser printer ink cartridge from the grocery bag).  
What the hell is this? 
        ROSS:  (Sarcastic, as if smarter than LUCAS)  
Printer ink… 
        LUCAS:  I know that, but…you don’t have a computer! 
        ROSS:  But you do.  I need to print out those response papers I never did before the quarter ends or… 
        LUCAS:  But I don’t have a printer. 
        ROSS:  (cont.)…I’ll fail.  
        LUCAS:  
Hey, you didn’t buy any grapes! 
        ROSS:  So, I got apples and oranges.  And bananas. 
        LUCAS:  
But, I really wanted some grapes. 
        ROSS:  
You didn’t say that earlier when I asked… 
        LUCAS:  
You asked if I needed anything.  I said “not off the top of my head.”  My exact words.  I don’t need any.  I want some though.  I already had an apple this morning. 
        ROSS: 
 Well, tough luck, have a banana monkey boy.   
        LUCAS:  (Picks up a banana and apes his phone conversation with JANINE, mocking her)  
”Hi, is Ross there?”  No, he’s not.  He went to class. “But he’s not here.”  Oh, he’s not there?  ”Where is he?”  I don’t know…He said he was going to class and he’s not here, so… (knock at the door)...Yes, well I’ll be sure to let him know when he gets home.  ”When will that be?”  (Knock at the door, again, now impatient.  LUCAS opens the door and “hangs up the phone” on the open hands of the KID in the hall).  I don’t know. 
        KID:  Thank you.  (She stares fixedly, but happily, then smiles) Goodbye. 
        LUCAS:  I knew it.  (He closes the door)
        ROSS:  
Give me the phone. 
        LUCAS:  I can’t.  The kid just took it. 
        ROSS:  I’ll get it myself.  (He gets up and dials JANINE’s number)
        LUCAS:  
She’s not home. 
        ROSS:  How do you know? 
        LUCAS:  I’m gonna bet you, she’s coming over here right now. 
        ROSS:  How do you know that? 
        LUCAS:  Just a guess.  (He extends his hand and ROSS almost takes it).

 

There’s a knock at the door, and then a voice.  It is the voice of JANINE.

 

        JANINE (OS):  Ross!  Hey, Ross!  Are you home?  Hello, is anyone there?

 

 

 

ROSS looks at LUCAS.  LUCAS looks at ROSS.  They both look at the door.

 

        ROSS:  Good thing I didn’t take that bet. 
        LUCAS:  I only bet when I know that I’m going to win.

 

FADE TO BLACK.

 

Scene 2:   Same.  (Flashback, then) That evening-The next morning.
Stage is black.  Lights come up slowly on ROSS sitting at the kitchen table studying.  He is wearing cuffed blue jeans, a black polo shirt, and a baseball cap.  LUCAS staggers in tired from a long day of work, tie opened, and shirt untucked.  There is an uncomfortable tension upon his entrance.  He moves into his bedroom and proceeds to ready himself for bed.  Finally, he gets into bed and goes to sleep.  ROSS gets up and leaves to his bedroom, then re-enters DL, with a dress-casual jacket on, his hair frazzled, and his shirt untucked.  He cROSSes to offstage DR and re-enters the apartment.   We are now in a bedroom as an alarm clock goes off.  LUCAS wakes up and turns over, ignoring the alarm at first.    

 

        RADIO:  It’s just about 7:00!  Rise and shine for those of you who need to get up.  It’s going to be another beautiful Friday.  Don’t you just love September… 
        RADIO:  Yes.  Yes, a wonderful time of year.  The colors, the weather.  Everything is just right.  I was just…

 

LUCAS shuts off the alarm.  Due to the setting determined on the RADIO we are in another FLASHBACK.  The door to his bedroom bursts open, and in the doorway, barely able to stand is ROSS, just getting home from a party, still incredibly drunk.

 

        ROSS:  Luke  Dude, you aren’t going to believe what happened tonight. 
        LUCAS:  (still half asleep) I’ve died and this is Hell.  (Beat). Are you just getting home? 
        ROSS:  I met this chick. 
        LUCAS:  
Janine. 
        ROSS:  How did you know? 
        LUCAS:  I introduced you. 
        ROSS:  Oh, yeah.  You seemed interested in her.  You don’t have any feelings for her do you?  I wouldn’t want to take…. 
        LUCAS:  No, no.  I have no interest in her whatsoever…(mumbling)...not anymore at least.  And I’m pretty damn sure she isn’t interested in me…I introduced you to her because she seemed like your type.  (Hidden) Unstable. Insecure.  (Open again) So what, you got wasted and fucked her brains out, right?  (under his breath)...Same ol’ Janine. 
        ROSS:  Yeah, why you gotta ruin all the fun? 
        LUCAS:  Because it’s seven in the morning and I have to go to work in an hour… 
        ROSS:  Oh, yeah, sorry, man, I’ll just…fall asleep now.  (He collapses on the floor).
        LUCAS:  
Good.  Just go to your own room, ok? I need to take a shower.

 

He gets up and moves from the bedroom to the living room and eventually into the bathroom.  ROSS moves to the kitchen table, and the FLASHBACK ENDS.  LUCAS returns from the bathroom putting on a clean t-shirt.  He goes to the kitchen counter and grabs a bunch of grapes.  It is the morning following the day set in scene 1.

 

        LUCAS:   Morning. 
        ROSS:  Hey.  (Noticing the grapes) Where’d you get those? 
        LUCAS:  F*****g internet.  You know there’s a site where you can order almost anything and they’ll bring it to you in under an hour? 
        ROSS:  And you ordered grapes? 
        LUCAS:  That’s all I wanted.  (Beat.)  Hi Janine… (JANINE steps out of ROSS’ bedroom, in a long flannel shirt and nothing else, perplexed).  You still here?  So predictable, same old Janine… 
        JANINE:  Nice to see you too Luke!  Ross, have you seen my jeans? 
        ROSS:  In the closet. 
        JANINE:  And my… 
        ROSS:  Under the bed. 
        JANINE:  Oh, thanks. (She exits into ROSS’ room).
        LUCAS:  
She called me Luke.  She’s such a fun girl. 
        ROSS:  You didn’t mind did ya? 
        LUCAS:  Why would I mind?  She’s a fun girl.  She called me Luke.

 

Beat.

 

        JANINE:  (Re-entering in the flannel shirt, now with jeans and a pair of Birkenstock sandals, putting on makeup).  I have to run off to class so I’ll see you later.  Call me or something. 
        ROSS:  Yeah (He escorts her out).  (To LUCAS after a silence) You alright? 
        LUCAS:  Yeah, fine. 
        ROSS:  You said it was fine if she stayed. 
        LUCAS:  I said it was fine if she stayed.  I didn’t say how long.  It’s ok, I suppose it’s my fault, really.  I should be more specific, especially with you. 
        ROSS:  Well, you know… 
        LUCAS:  No, no, don’t be so modest.  Calculus and Analytic Geometry are schools that require incredibly precise terms and logistics.  My feeble-minded Creative Writing self isn’t used to that kind of rhetoric. 
        ROSS:  Don’t patronize me! 
        LUCAS:  I’m not trying to sell you anything! 
        ROSS:  Except a load of bull. 
        LUCAS:  Well, if you’re going to mispronounce words, well then I’m going to have to grab the bull by the horns and strike!  You make it so easy.  (His cell phone rings).  Gloria!  (He answers).  Hello  How are you doing?  That’s good.  So…what? The porcelain monkey you gave me for safekeeping?  You want it back now?  OK, yeah, sure, you wanna have lunch later or something?  Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow. (He hangs up the phone and starts to exit to his room, carrying a chair).
        ROSS:  
Where are you going? 
        LUCAS:  (With monumental sarcasm, but serious,) I’m going on-line to find adult chats. 
        ROSS:  Pretty soon he won’t need to leave the apartment at all.

 

CURTAIN
END ACT I

 

ACT II
Scene 1:  A couple days later.

 

LUCAS is cleaning up the apartment, for no reason, other than that he just feels compelled to do so.  He is wearing a white collared-shirt (unbuttoned), black dress pants and white socks.  His cell phone rings, so he stops and pulls it out to answer it.

 

        LUCAS:  Hello?  Gloria!  I’m so glad you called.  Look, I’m sorry I missed our lunch date.  I meant to call you, but I fell asleep studying.  I couldn’t find the monkey.  You asked me to hold it for safekeeping right?  So I was keeping it in my safe, but I don’t know what happened to my safe….yeah…I’m sorry.  Look, things happen…and…it was stolen…what’s that supposed to mean?....Well, don’t you want your monkey back?...O…(GLORIA hangs up the phone)...K.  (He puts his head down and walks over to the coffee table, thinking).

 

        RADIO:  Finally we find some sunshine…isn’t this supposed to be summer? 
        RADIO (2):  I believe that May is still Spring…

 

The lights fall to half and LUCAS springs up from the couch and into his room.  When he comes out, he is putting on a tie, in formal garb.

 

        RADIO:  Oh!  Well, then.  Let’s hear a song.  I want to hear something that reminds me of how much I wish it was summer.  (LUCAS puts on a suit jacket.) 
        RADIO(2):  Well, how about this.  It’s a love song, and still number one on the charts.  I think you could relate it to how you feel right now….

 

FADE IN Romantic Love Song (MUSIC CUE #2)  as heard earlier.  MUSIC CUE #5.  The audience should be conditioned to expect the RADIO, but in actuality it is a SENIOR PROM with LUKE AND JANIE.  JANIE wears a long black gown with white lace trim.  Again, we are in a FLASHBACK.  The bench used earlier for the JUNIOR HIGH could be used to represent the outside of the SENIOR PROM for this scene.

 

        JANIE:  I… 
        LUKE:  Yes? 
        JANIE:  
It’s just that… 
        LUKE:   What?

        JANIE:  Well, you’re going to State next year, and I’ll be in community college for a little while…. 
        LUKE:  And…? 
        JANIE:  And…well, is this going to work? 
        LUKE:  This has worked for four years!  I’ll only be in the city.  That’s only thirty minutes away!  I will never be too far away from you! 
        JANIE:  I know. 
        LUKE:  But….? 
        JANIE:  Nothing. 
        LUKE:  Same old Janie. 
        JANIE:  What’s your deal? 
        LUKE:  Huh? 
        JANIE:  What’s that supposed to mean? 
        LUKE:  Janie…sweet Janie.  It’s just that… 
        JANIE:  What…? 
        LUKE:  I want to give you something.  It’s going to sound really corny, but….here.  (He procures a small brass key from around his neck and gives it to her).  This…this is the key to my heart.  And I want you to have it.  (She laughs and smiles and accepts it, sentimentally). 
        JANIE:  I don’t know what I am supposed to make of this. 
        LUKE:  (under his breath; he is unsure whether or not he should say it) Just know that I love you… 
        JANIE:  What did you say? 
        LUKE:  Just that….that I’m going to miss you.  (She smiles and they lean in to kiss).

 

END FLASHBACK.  LUCAS is frozen in place, ready to kiss JANIE when she leaves to end the memory.  LIGHT CUE.  ROSS, coming from his room, putting on a hooded zip up sweatshirt over a t-shirt and sweat pants and sneakers,  enters into the living room and catches him in this awkward position-it would appear, perhaps, that he was rehearsing a speech to his girlfriend…

 

        ROSS:  Heya, roomy, watcha doin’?  (Beat).  Didn’t Gloria…weren’t you supposed to meet her today? 
        LUCAS:  Yeah. 
        ROSS:  (over)
Then what are you….?   
        LUCAS:  (over)
Not anymore.   
        ROSS:  (over)
Oh, I see.   
        LUCAS:  
It’s over.  I knew this was coming, man.  I could see her slipping away, slowly.  I just didn’t do anything about it. 
        ROSS:  (over)
Hey man, it’s not the end of the world…It probably means you weren’t meant to be… 
        LUCAS:  You know, she’s seeing somebody else… 
        ROSS:  No, she wouldn’t do that… 
        
Beat.

 

        LUCAS & ROSS:  Yeah, she would.   
        LUCAS: 
 It’s probably that friend of hers from Freshman year, that zoology major. 
        ROSS: 
 Who…?  Oh, you mean? 
        LUCAS:  
Yeah… 
        ROSS:  ...that guys a f*****g gorilla! 
        LUCAS:  
And he makes me look like a chimp- 
        ROSS:  
Ugly, hairy guy�" 
        LUCAS:  ...chump!  Look like a chump! 
        ROSS:  Big nostrils.  Like an ogre or something.  What the hell does she see in him? 
        LUCAS:  
He’s got something no other guy could ever have. (Beat).  Her virginity.  She was young and stupid�" 
        ROSS:  Weren’t we all�" 
        LUCAS:  
More than once…I can’t believe this is happening…well, I guess I can, I mean, I guess everyone is capable of that�" 
        ROSS:  What are you talking about�" 
        LUCAS:  
Dishonesty…Infidelity…you know�" 
        ROSS:  Hey, now, that isn’t fair. 
        LUCAS:  (apologetic)  Listen, if anyone, especially a chick ever asks you to hold something for safekeeping, don’t do it.  And never ask her to have something for safekeeping.  It’s a loan that you will never see repayed.  (He begins to leave, taking a chair with him).  
        ROSS:  
Al…right…man.  Hey where you taking that chair? 
        LUCAS:  I’m going online…The chair at my desk is broken… 
        ROSS:  (Concerned) What are you getting this time? 
        LUCAS:  I want to order some raisins. 
        ROSS:  Poor guy…

 

There is a long pause.  ROSS has a FLASHBACK.  This time everything is different because it’s in ROSS’ head, however their must be a LIGHT CUE as the scene immediately following is set exactly the same way.  LUCAS enters from the front door, carrying the newspaper which he never puts down during the entire conversation.  ROSS is watching TV, eating burnt toast and butter.

 

        ROSS:  There’s nothing on. 
        LUCAS:  Ross!  Do I have some news for you…. 
        ROSS:  I don’t know, do you? 
        LUCAS:  
No, really… 
        ROSS:  I don’t really want to hear it right now, man!  (He takes a bite).
        LUCAS:
  I met the girl of my dreams today. 
        ROSS:  
Which dream?  The one where you are chased by bald savages into a village overrun by apes who terrorize bald savages and eventually save your life? 
        LUCAS:  No. And that was your dream. 
        ROSS:  
Oh, yeah.  I’ve always liked that one… 
        LUCAS:  Oh!  I don’t deserve this!  She’s perfect, she’s… 
        ROSS:  I thought you didn’t believe in perfect. 
        LUCAS:  Until now!  I’ve never met anyone like her. 
        ROSS:  Except for Amy! 
        LUCAS:  
Who…oh.  She was your last girlfriend. 
        ROSS:  Don’t remind me… 
        LUCAS:  
But Gloria…! 
        ROSS:  Didn’t you ever have any other girlfriends or anything?  Like, a long long time ago… 
        LUCAS: (sharply)
No….But Gloria.  Her name.  Glory-Ah!  It’s like something you would say in church. 
        ROSS:  You don’t go to church.  (He takes another bite).
        LUCAS:  
But doesn’t it sound like something one of those TV Krishna guys would say? 
        ROSS:  Christians.  They’re not Krishnas, that’s Hindu. 
        LUCAS:  Whatever. 
        ROSS:  Really, can we just talk about something else?   
        LUCAS:  
You’re taking this really hard.  I’m sorry man. 
        ROSS: 
 It’s ok…

 

Beat.  There’s a KNOCK at the door.  END FLASHBACK.  LUCAS is frozen, but ROSS answers the door (after disposing of the toast in the kitchen).

 

        LUCAS:  (Unfreezing) It’s probably the apartment manager again.  She was here yesterday talking about thefts in the building.  Hey, you missin’ anything? 
        ROSS:  No, I don’t think so.  Not right now. 
        LUCAS:  
But you were missing things in the past, and you plan on missing things in the future? 
        ROSS: 
 I do tend to lose things, you know that. 
        LUCAS:
...like your fidelity. 
        ROSS:  
What? 
        LUCAS: 
 Nothing.  (Hidden) And apparently your hearing.  (Open again) You’re missing the point.  That reminds me, have you seen my safe? 
        ROSS:  No…you have a safe? 
        LUCAS:  
Yeah. 
        ROSS:  
Why do you have a safe? 
        LUCAS:  
It’s where I keep all the things that I�" 
        ROSS: 
 ...want to keep safe? 
        LUCAS: 
 Yeah, that’s it.  You know, secret…perfect, special, secret things.  Sentimental things.
        ROSS:  I didn’t know you were so sentimental. 
        LUCAS:  I’m not.   
        ROSS:  
And you don’t believe in perfect…I thought-    


Beat.

 

        LUCAS:   I don’t.   
        ROSS:  (Opening the door)
Hello? 
        LUCAS:  Who is it? 
        KID:  (frustrated with the prolongued answering of the door)  
Thank you. 
        LUCAS:  I was wrong.  Again.  It’s the kid.  Just give her something…anything, so she’ll go home. 
        ROSS:  No.  You give her something! 
        LUCAS:  
Come on, man, I’m watching TV! 
        ROSS:  But you just said there was nothing on! 
        LUCAS: 
 No, I said the TV’s not on. 
        ROSS:  
Then what are you doing? 
        LUCAS:  
I told you, I’m watching TV.  It doesn’t do anything.  It’s an inanimate object, but I can still watch it can’t I? 
        ROSS:  (frustrated) OK whatever.  Can we give this kid something or what? 
        LUCAS:  Give her the grapes.  From the counter. 
        ROSS:  (giving the KID some grapes) Here.
        KID:  
Thank you.  Goodbye. (She smiles and exits).
        ROSS:  
Didn’t you just order that whole bunch of grapes? 
        LUCAS:  Yeah, but I got raisins coming now!  Damn remote isn’t working! 
        ROSS:  The batteries are probably dead… 
        LUCAS:  There’s some in my safe!  (LUCAS exits, carrying the TV.  ROSS stares, puzzled, then exits to his room).

 

LIGHTS FADE TO HALF.  BEAT.  

 

Scene 2:  The same.  Three hours later.
The LIGHTS FADE IN.  KNOCK at the front door of the apartment.  No one is on stage.  The front door opens and JANINE, in black stretch pants and an old high school t-shirt, peeks her head in.

 

        JANINE:  Hello?  Anyone here?  Hello? 
        LUCAS:  (entering, putting on a tie)  Consistency is all I ask… 
        JANINE:  Oh, Luke, (uncomfortable) Hi. 
        LUCAS:  
Ross isn’t here.  (He starts to move the couch from CS to a spot on one of the walls on one side of the stage.)  He went to the store again. 
        JANINE:  Really?  He goes to the store a lot. 
        LUCAS:  
That’s what I told him.  (He begins looking for the safe in the spot in which the couch was previously).  I even suggested that he go on-line and order whatever it is that he gets at the store.  That’s what I do.
        JANINE:  
Well, he likes to go out.  A lot.  He feels like a caged animal if he stays in here for too long. 
        LUCAS:  Yeah, he’s got all this energy pent up inside him that he needs to…release sometimes.

 

Beat.
        
        JANINE:  
You know… 
        LUCAS:  No, I don’t… (He stops everything he is doing).
        JANINE:
  I mean… 
        LUCAS:  
We never talked about it. 
        JANINE: 
 I… 
        LUCAS: 
 I mean, I talked about it all the time, and you didn’t seem to want to talk to me…         
        JANINE:  Look, I don’t want to talk about that now, OK? 
        LUCAS:  Whatever.  (Hidden) You’ve always had trouble communicating. 
        JANINE:  What’s your deal? 
        LUCAS:  Nothing. 
        JANINE:  
Luke, are you ok? 
        LUCAS:  (exiting) My name is Lucas! 
        JANINE:  He is so different now.   (APARTMENT MANAGER enters and is surprised by JANINE.).  
        MGR:
Oh, hi.   
        JANINE:
Hi.  (Beat.) I’m Janine. 
        MGR:  Do you live here? 
        JANINE:  
Me? Oh, no.  Just visiting. 
        MGR:  Well ok, is Luke home… 
        JANINE:  
Lucas… 
        MGR:  
Lucas, right.  Is he home? 
        JANINE:  (Jealous, trying to make her leave) Yeah, but, now is a bad time. 
        MGR: OK, then, can you just give him this message, then.  I found his safe.  It appears to be in perfect condition…Anyway, I will be holding it in the office until he can pick it up.  And… 
        JANINE:  Oh, so you are the building manager? 
        MGR:  
Yeah. 
        JANINE:  
In that case, I will come down and get it right now. 
        MGR:  OK.  Thanks.  (She leaves and JANINE moves back into the living room.  She picks up a crystal rose from on top of the table).  
        ROSS:  
Hey, sweets, watcha doin’ here? 
        JANINE:  Looking for you.  You don’t have any bags. 
        ROSS:  Should I? 
        JANINE:  
Well, Luke said you were going shopping. 
        ROSS:  I did. 
        JANINE:  But you didn’t buy anything. 
        ROSS:  I did.  I ate it on the way home.  I just wanted a pastrami sandwich, and there’s this great sandwich shoppe down the street… 
        JANINE:  Tony’s? 
        ROSS:  
Yeah, that’s the one. 
        JANINE:  Since when did they make pastrami sandwiches? 
        ROSS:  They…um…. 
        JANINE:  I was just there the other day. 
        ROSS:  They make them special.  Just for me. 
        JANINE:  Oh, cuz you’re so special, huh? 
        ROSS:  Yeah. 
        JANINE:  
What’s going on with you?  You’ve got this look in your eyes like you’ve finally been set free.  What’s going on? 
        ROSS:  I have been set free, now that you mention it, that’s exactly how I feel.  And it’s all because… 
        JANINE:  (hopeful) Of me? 
        ROSS:  
Yes.  Yes, that’s it.  Because of you.  And that’s why I’m so special.  Because you make me feel that way.  Safe.  Secure.  I’ve never been involved in anything like this before, and it’s so…. 
        JANINE:  Special? 
        ROSS:  Yeah. 
        JANINE:  
You have such a way with words.  (Her eyes begin to water.  She gasps).
        ROSS:  
What’s wrong? 
        JANINE:  
Nothing…

 

FADE TO HALF

 

During the FLASHBACK the cast set up the restaurant by moving the dining room furiniture downstage right to create a restaurant setting.  JANIE puts on a collared, red satin shirt.

 

FLASHBACK to just before LUKE leaves for college.  He and JANIE are at a restaurant.  It is a “dream-like” romantic.  LUKE is finishing a poem (see notes).

 

        LUKE:  For growth and bloom aside from it,
                 there is more to the plan�"
                That care must always supply it
                 with all the love I can;
                And then and only then will be,
                 but only then, I say
                For roses, not fidelity
                 bloom from day to day. 
        
Beat.

 

        JANIE:  (Slightly staggering) You wrote that?  For me? 
        LUKE:  Of course! 
        JANIE:  
Wow, that was beautiful!  Oh thank you so much! 
        LUKE:  No.  Thank you.  You inspire me.  I would have no words to write without those which your smile and your eyes whisper to my heart. 
        JANIE:  You’re so sweet.. 
        LUKE:  Not as sweet as it is to know that I have you near me everyday… 
        JANIE:  (Beat.) 
 Luke, are you ok? 
        LUKE:  Yeah, it’s just that, I’ve never felt like this before.  Never been so deeply involved with anyone. 
        JANIE:  Neither have I… 
        LUKE:  And you make me feel so special.  Like nothing else matters to me, so long as I am that to you.  Special, like the only flower in your bed…you do understand the poem? 
        JANIE:  Of course. 
        LUKE: 
 I don’t deserve you… It’s like a dream….(He takes her hand).  I never want that rose to break…I feel so safe with you…Please don’t break my rose….

 

 

Beat.

 

        LUKE: I’ll be right back.  (He stands up and turns away, then leaves). 
        JANIE:  Never....(LUCAS returns, and the FLASHBACK ENDS.  JANINE picks the rose up again)... 
        JANINE:...never break the rose…never… 
        LUCAS:  Janine?  You, ok? 
        JANINE:  (surprised, almost dropping the novelty item).  Yeah, I’m fine.   
        LUCAS:  You know, you should be really careful with that.  I dont’ have many things that are…. 
        JANINE:  I know.  I know.  (She touches his hand as he sets the crystal rose back on the coffeetable.  They sit.)

 

FADE TO BLACK.  During the blackout, JANINE removes the rose to be used in the next scene.

 

Scene 3:  The same.  That night.  The apartment is empty.


FADE IN SPECIALS and DANCE MUSIC on LUCAS and ROSS.  MUSIC CUE #6.  By this time, there should be nothing on stage but the coffeetable on one side, and the kitchen counter on the other.  They are on opposite sides of the room.  It is a party and LUCAS is sulking in the corner, by the bar (the counter).  ROSS comes over for a drink.  LUCAS is completely smashed.  It is another FLASHBACK.  

 

        ROSS:  (Making a drink)  Hey, guy.  What’s up with you? 
        LUCAS:  (caught off guard) What?  Oh, hi. 
        ROSS:  
Some party huh? 
        LUCAS:  Yeah, if you like parties. 
        ROSS: 
 What, you don’t….? 
        LUCAS:  
No…I do….I…I just don’t want to talk about it right now. 
        ROSS:  Sorry, you just look like a guy who needs a friend.  We can always use more friends. 
        LUCAS:  I just broke up with my girlfriend. 
        ROSS:  Oh, man, sorry to hear that.  But, hey look on the bright side!  Look where you are!

 

Beat.  Silence.

 

        LUCAS:  That doesn’t help. 
        ROSS:  Hey, man.  You are here, surrounded by women!  Just go out and take a shot. 
        LUCAS:  Sounds like a good idea.  (He pounds a bourbon shot).
        ROSS:  
Come on, let’s get you out there.  Have some fun. 
        LUCAS: 
 I guess you’re right. 
        ROSS:  (Holding out his hand)
The name’s Ross, friend. 
        LUCAS:  Luke…er…(He decides to make a change)...Lucas.  (They walk across the stage).

 

KNOCK at the door.  The FLASHBACK ENDS.

 

        ROSS:  I got it.  (He opens the door).  It’s the neighbour kid. 
        LUCAS:  Give her….no, don’t give her anything.  That’s too easy.

 

ROSS shrugs and closes the door.  There is another KNOCK.

 

        LUCAS:  Don’t answer it, maybe she’ll go away.

 

Silence.  Then another KNOCK.

 

        LUCAS:  Oh, for Chrissake!  (He opens the door).  Oh, Hi!  (It’s the apartment manager).
        MGR: 
 Hey boys.  Just making sure you got my message.  I found your safe.  I came here the other day and a girl was here.  Name…Janine?  Said she’d sign for it. 
        LUCAS:  What?  You let her have it? 
        MGR:  
She was in your apartment when I came to tell you.  It didn’t seem like a problem
        LUCAS:  
It isn’t.  Really.  Thank you.  Rent still due on the first?  (He shuts the door).  Goodbye.
        ROSS:  
Now that wasn’t very nice. 
        LUCAS:  
Shut up.  I don’t want to hear it.  Where’s Janine?  Is she on her way over?  (He goes into the bedroom).
        ROSS: 
 You seem to know that more often than I do. 
        
KNOCK at the door.

 

        LUCAS:  If that’s the delivery boy, tell him I’ll be right out.  Hold him, will ya? 
        ROSS:  (opening the door)  Hi.  Yeah.  I got it.  (He pays for the package closes the door and sets the package on the coffee table and sits in the arm chair).  
        LUCAS:  (entering with wallet)  
What?  Where did he go?  What did you do that for? 
        ROSS:  I owe you. 
        LUCAS:  
But…yeah, I guess you do. 
        ROSS:  No, I do. 
        LUCAS:  
Well, ok, but don’t come back to me later with your…”But I loaned you money last week” shpiel.  I will have none of that! 
        ROSS:  Oh, come on, man, that hurts. 
        LUCAS:  
I’ll bet you that you’ll say it within a week.  (ROSS doesn’t take it…he knows, he’ll probably lose)  I knew it.  Because you know… 
        ROSS:  ...yeah, yeah…only if you know you’re going to win. 
        LUCAS:  
Where is Janine? 
        ROSS:  Why do you care? 
        LUCAS:  
Because she has my safe. 
        ROSS:  
What’s in your safe? 
        LUCAS: 
 Everything!  (He goes into the bedroom again.  JANINE enters through the front door.  It was not closed).
        JANINE:  
Hi! 
        ROSS:  (off-gaurd)
Whoa!  What are you doing here? 
        JANINE:  Returning Lucas’ safe. 
        ROSS:  
Why didn’t you just leave it here? 
        JANINE:  
I took it home, you know, for safekeeping. 
        ROSS:  
Hmmm….  (He exits to find LUCAS).

 

LIGHTS FADE OUT then FADE IN.  JANIE is in the apartment, looking around. LUKE enters through the front door carrying a box, then he starts  unpacking it.  He has just moved in and JANIE is with him.  It’s another FLASHBACK.

 

        JANIE:  Luke, this is a really nice place. 
        LUKE:  Thank you.  I like it too. 
        JANIE:  
It’s beautiful and it’s right in the middle of the city.  (She moves to the window, which is probably imaginary, and DC). And you can see the bay and everything!  (Beat).
        LUKE:  
What? 
        JANIE:  
It’s just that you’re going to be here, in the midst of all this wonder, and I’ll still be back home at community… 
        LUKE:  For two terms, at most!  We will be together again soon enough, I promise! 
        JANIE: 
 But… 
        LUKE: 
 I will never be too far away from you…. 
        JANIE: 
 I know…. 
        LUKE:  
But…? 
        JANIE:  
Nothing.  I just wanted to give you this.  (She pulls out a small box, about five inches long by three inches wide.  LUKE opens it and unwraps tissue paper from around a crystal rose.  LUKE is speechless.)
        JANIE:  
Are you ok? 
        LUKE:  Huh? 
        JANIE:  What? 
        LUKE:  
Nothing. 
        JANIE:  Were you going to say something? 
        LUKE:  No. 
        JANIE:  (Upset).  Why not? 
        LUKE:  It’s not that I don’t want to, I can’t…I don’t know what to say.  Thank you. 
        JANIE:  That’s all?  You do know why I chose this particular gift? 
        LUKE:  
Of course.  I’m sorry, I’ve just never received anything like this.  I’ve never given anything like this….I’m sorry, I don’t have anything for you.  I wasn’t expecting this.   
        JANIE:  You shouldn’t expect it, it’s a surprise. 
        LUKE: 
 It certainly is… 
        JANIE:  What’s your deal? 
        LUKE:  
Nothing….I’m sorry.  I’ll never break this rose.  I will never let anything happen to it.  I will keep it safe. 
        JANIE:  Don’t get sarcastic with me..! 
        LUKE:  
What?  I’m serious.  Sometimes I just don’t understand you. 
        JANIE:  How can you say that?  After all this time, that’s like
        LUKE:  
Breaking the rose?  Well maybe I shouldn’t have given you that poem, or maybe I shouldn’t have written it at all. 
        JANIE:  You’re different now.  It’s like just because you are going to live in the city… (She gets up and crosses to the door).
        LUKE:  
Whatever….  (She looks at him, scorning.  She exits and LUKE sits in silence on the apartment floor.  ROSS enters from the front door and quickly moves to his bedroom.  The FLASHBACK ends).
        ROSS:  
Hey. 
        LUCAS:  Huh? 
        ROSS:  
How ya’ doin’ today? 
        LUCAS:  
Fine.  Thank you. 
        ROSS:  
I’m leaving. 
        LUCAS:  I know.  I figured that when I noticed all your stuff started to disappear. 
        ROSS:  Some of your stuff is gone too. 
        LUCAS: 
 I was looking for my safe.  It’s all in my room.  I can’t even sleep on my own bed. 
        ROSS:  Sometimes that’s the best thing that can ever happen to you.
        LUCAS:  
Losing your safe? 
        ROSS:  
No, sleeping in someone elses bed… 
        LUCAS:  Shut up.  Just shut up. 
        ROSS:  And I’m leaving Janine. 
        LUCAS:  I know.  And so does she. 
        ROSS:  You told her? 
        LUCAS:  Of course not.  I would never do that to you.  You really should be more careful with keeping your secrets safe, though.  She’s a smart girl, and you aren’t the most humble person.  She figured it out…it wasn’t very hard.   
        ROSS:  You’ll take care of her, won’t you.  It might be hard for her. 
        LUCAS:  
What? 
        ROSS:  The breakup. 
        LUCAS:  It was… 
        ROSS:  
It was…? 
        LUCAS:  It was. 
        ROSS:  
What are you talking about? 
        LUCAS:  Look, I never told you this, because it wasn’t important at the time.  It still isn’t really, but….Janine and I used to date.  It was a long time ago.  It was all through junior high and high school.  I went by Luke, and she went by Janie…sweet, sweet Janie.  We were inseperable for almost five years and were madly in love.  At least we were by those adolescent standards.  Then one day, we both just…I don’t know.  Everybody thought we were going to get married.  We were voted best couple in our high school yearbook.  We had had some problems before because she was afraid about me moving to the city.  She really thought I was going to forget about her.  She came over to say goodbye and help me move, when she gave me that crystal rose.  Remember that night at the party, when you walked up and I didn’t want to talk about it.  It was the same day we broke up.  She really thought I was going to forget about her.  I mean, eventually I tried, which was why I was so anxious to hook the two of you up.  I thought, maybe if I put her out of reach, it would be easier.  I guess it turns out that she was barely out of reach, and I just kept stretching and stretching, and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t touch her anymore….(He grabs the package and opens it.)  Is this my wine.  I ordered some wine from that internet site I was telling you about.  Today would have been our anniversary…Figures.  It’s vinegar.  It figures they would get this one wrong.  Well, at least it’s…good…vinegar.  (KNOCK at the door).  That’s probably Janine.  At least I can always count on her showing up at the most iconvenient time… 
        ROSS:  (Taking it all in, then dropping it as insignificant).  Speaking of inconvenience, I’m not here.  Just tell her that for me.  (He goes into his bedroom).
        LUCAS: 
 Whatever.  (He opens the door).  Hi Janine.  Ross isn’t here. 
        JANINE:  I didn’t come for Ross.  I know he’s moving out.  I came to see you. 
        LUCAS:  What? 
        JANINE: 
 I came to see you. 
        LUCAS:  
Well, here I am.  Take a good look.  There, you saw me.  Thank you for your time.  Goodbye. 
        JANINE:  Can’t we just be ourselves for one minute? 
        LUCAS:  What are you talking about? 
        JANINE:  Luke… 
        LUCAS:  
Janie… 
        JANINE:  You changed your name. 
        LUCAS:  So did you.  I was just starting over.  I thought you might go away if I just started over.  But instead�" 
        JANINE:  We ended up right back where we started.

 

Beat. LUCAS notices the safe that she is carrying.

 

        LUCAS:  Is that my safe? 
        JANINE:  Yeah.  What’s so special about this safe? 
        LUCAS:  You’ll see.  (He takes out his keys, then pauses, and realizes that he doesn’t have a key to the safe).  S**t, I lost my key when I was looking for the safe.  (He gets up and turns toward her scoldingly, as if to blame her, then slowly changes into relief.  He sees the key around her neck and rips it off of her). 


         JANINE:  
Hey!  

 

LUCAS opens the safe and takes out a package of batteries and sets it on the floor.  Then he pulls out a small photo album and his class ring and sets them on the counter next to where JANINE is standing.   


         JANINE:  (to herself….as everything comes together)
The key to your heart.

 

Finally, LUCAS finds the porcelain monkey, moves to the window and tosses it out accidentally.  He turns a little to see JANINE hesitant, sitting in the armchair with the photo album, then stifles and returns to his original postion.  LUCAS moves to speak then mumbles…

 

        LUCAS:  I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours…

 

They laugh and there’s a long uncomfortable silence. LUCAS sits down on the other end of the couch and look at each other passionately afraid.   They are almost close enough to touch each other, but barely out of reach.  JANINE moves to speak then stifles.

 

        LUCAS:  (mumbling)...never break the rose.

 

JANINE gets up to leave, noticing the discomfort. 

 

        LUCAS:  (mumbling) I deserve this!  (LUCAS finally turns around as she is opening the door).  Hey you! 
        JANINE:  What? 
        LUCAS:  
What’s your deal? 
        JANINE:  
Nothing.

 

She smiles, then his somber face slowly transforms into a smile, then a beaming grin.  She turns directly toward him, he hides his face like a child blushing.  She does the same.  

 

        RADIO (1):  Another day, another song.  Our time is up here as the day is ending.  So here’s one for all your secret loves. 
        RADIO (2):  
Enjoy the evening.  It’s going to be warm. 
        RADIO (1):  Welcome to summer…

 

REPRISE MUSIC CUE #2-MUSIC CUE #7.  They turn again toward eachother, and the LIGHTS FADE OUT.

 

 

THE BROKEN ROSE
By: M. Keala Milles, Jr.
Sunday 16 May 1999
        I once gave thee a wond’rous gift,
                methought�"in the flower
        So soft and gentle�"to uplift
                thy day and all it’s power;
        In dedication to thy beuaty
                this rose, I, thee bequeath�"
        To declare husbandly duties
                from birth until death.

 

 

        Of satin texture, delicate
                to touch and to caress
        ’Tis my hope thou shant forget
                and hobby it to press;
        For care it needs, and love divine
                to bloom to its best�"
        In memory that it was mine
                I hope ‘tis in thy breast.

 

 

        Deep red it was, to my first sight
                and constant through and through;
        Radiant in Diana’s light
                like that of my blood’s hue;
        Whost tint is much the same as thine
                and necessary too�"
        Much like this gift and that of Wine
                �"both of me and you.

 

 

        But careful, Lady, with my gift,
                treat it with thy honour�"
        For as it came, away as swift
                can strip the outer layer.
        To yet reveal the emptiness
                and fertility,
        Of a gift without the bliss
                of its entirety.

 

 

         For growth and bloom aside from it,
                there is more to the plan�"
        That care must always supply it
                with all the love thy can;
        And then and only then will be,
                but only then, I say
        For roses, not fidelity
                bloom from day to day.

 

 

MUSIC NOTES

 

CUE #1, 3:  The Four Seasons, Vivaldi-Spring and Fall, respectively
CUE#2, 4, 5, 7:  Bittersweet, M. Keala Milles Jr.
CUE#6: Dance Music, non-specific, preferably house music.

 


 

© 2008 M. Keala Milles, Jr.



Please No Javascript

© 2010 M. Keala Milles, Jr.


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

I used to write a lot of screen plays, this holds descriptiveness and solid imagery. I also like what TL Boehm had to say. Very well written write

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is a solid metaphoric piece - I enjoyed the use of the flashbacks to add to the story - well constructed and thought out - loved the whole 'fruit shtick' going on with the grapes and using the banana as a phone. Thought the flashback with the key to his heart was sweet and sentimental. The ending lyrics are also lovely - and although they add to the piece also are beautiful independent of the play.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1592 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 23, 2008
Last Updated on July 22, 2010

Author

M. Keala Milles, Jr.
M. Keala Milles, Jr.

Waianae, HI



About
Is amidst a comeback.... You Should Be a Film Writer You don't just create compelling stories, you see them as clearly as a movie in your mind. You have a knack for details and dialog.. more..

Writing