The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

“Trick or Treat” echoed from the front door, quickly followed by screams.

"

What harm could there possibly be at putting a scarecrow on my front porch for Halloween? Everything was fine until the first Trick or Treaters came to the door, but then...


I was late decorating for Halloween, so decided just to decorate the front porch this year. First I hung “Broom Zelda” on the front door. She was made from a fabric panel I had quilted several years earlier, a black cat dangled from her broom. I propped some corn stalks beside the front door and set a pumpkin in front of them. I lined the sidewalk with brass my jack-o-lantern on garden stakes, placing battery tealights inside. Placing the witches hat tealight holder at the head of the sidewalk, I stood back to admire my work. 


Not too bad, but it needs a little something more. Isn't there a scarecrow on a stake in the garage?


I tramped off to the garage in search of the scarecrow. Looking on the shelf, and beside the freezer, getting very dusty in the process. I finally found the scarecrow in the back corner of Gary's tool closet. 


I've forgotten how creepy he looks. Well, I guess that is perfect for Halloween. 


I positioned him in front of the cornstalks. Hearing cries of “Trick or Treat” in the distance, I rushed inside to put candy in my plastic cauldron.


“Trick or Treat” echoed from the front door, quickly followed by screams.


Well, that's different, they don't usually scream. 


Grabbing the cauldron, and opening the door, there were no kids in sight. 


That's funny, it sounded like they were right outside. Setting down the cauldron, I went back to my chair.


Glancing out the window, I saw some costumed beggars approaching, so stood up to grab the candy, only to hear them scream, and see them turn and run away. What is going on? My decorations aren't that spooky, are they? Must be that scarecrow.


Setting the candy back down, I went to investigate. I was opening the door when everything went black...but not before I saw a straw-covered, gloved hand, gripping a sickle, rise up.


Yep, it was the scarecrow!




© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on October 31, 2017
Last Updated on November 23, 2017
Tags: Halloween, Scarecrow, Scare


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing