Lavender

Lavender

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

Hang gliding with a leaf wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

"

I crawled out from under the enormous orange leaf, stood up, and looked around.


“What now?” I groaned, close to tears.


Hang gliding with a leaf wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I couldn't use my wings, I had damaged them trying to extricate myself from a blackberry bush. Iris warned me not to use them for a whole week! The tears that had threatened, starting falling in earnest wetting my floral gown.


“Why so sad, Lavender?” buzzed my friend, Hummer.


“I got my wings caught in a blackberry bush yesterday, and Iris says I can't fly for a week,” I said with a trembling voice.


“Is that all, Lavender? Stop your crying and climb on my back. Where do you want to go?” offered my ruby-throated friend.


“Thanks, Hummer, you are a lifesaver! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't fly. Can you take me to the waterfall?”


“At your service, Miss Lavender!”


Off we flew, the wind caressing my auburn locks. When Hummer glided over the Pansy Bed, they turned their sleepy faces to smile at us, and I waved a greeting. Hummer paused to drink from a Honeysuckle Bush, visiting several blossoms. His energy restored, we were off again. It wasn't long before the sound of rushing water could be heard, then the waterfall came into sight. Landing on a rock, I dismounted, then turned to my friend.


“Where are you off to now, Hummer?”


“I thought I might stop by the Trumpet Vine, I always find plenty of nectar there. Then, I'll try the Petunia Patch.”


“Well, thanks for the ride old friend!”


“Anytime, Lavender!” Hummer called as he soared off.


“Hey, Lily...Rose, what are you two up to?” I asked my best friends.


“Just taking a little dip,” Rose replied, shaking her blond tresses, and brushing water from her beautiful pink gown.


“How are those wings, Lavender?” Lily asked wadding into the water unwilling get her orange frock wet.


“Iris says I can't use them for a whole week, can you believe that!” I cried.


“How awful, I would die if I couldn't fly for a week!” Lily commiserated.


Sitting on a rock, I dangled my hand into the water, thinking about the Fairy Ring that would be held on Saturday. All the fairies would be there, dancing, singing, playing. Strong, handsome, Oak would be there, too. Lavender blushed just thinking about him.


“He'll never pick me...” Lavender sighed.


“Who won't pick you?” asked a confused Rose.


“Oak won't pick me to dance with him if I can't use my wings” Lavender answered, blushing deeply now.


“You should see the way he watches you when you aren't looking,” Lily laughed.


“Really?” Lavender brightened.


“He has eyes for no one else,” Rose pouted.


Lavender pranced around the clearing, as she daydreamed of aerial dancing with Oak. Wings fluttering, as he twirled her around, hand touching hand. His dreamy hazel eyes staring into her emerald eyes.


“Come down from the clouds, Lavender,” ordered Iris.


“Oh, Iris, I didn't see you there,” replied a startled Lavender, nodding to the fairy healer.


“Have you collected your quota of nectar, dusted any pollen today, Lavender?” Iris accused.


“How can I, if I can't use my wings?”


“You have two feet, don't you?” Iris insisted.


“You mean, you expect me to walk?” Lavender asked incredulously.


“How else are you going to get your work done?” Iris questioned, “Better get to work!”


“Yes, Iris,” Lavender capitulated.


Bidding her friends goodbye, she trudged off for the nearest flower patch. The Zinnias bobbed their colorful heads at her, as she collected nectar with a straw, placing it in a container in her bag. While spreading pollen, her purple gown became splotched with the yellow stuff. It was a short walk to the Marigolds, with their autumn colored petals. Next stop, the Petunia Patch. It was nearing twilight when Lavender finally headed home.


“Oh, my aching feet!” Lavender sighed, dropping onto her bed of sweet grasses.


The monotonous week crawled by with Lavender leaving her nest at first light every morning, and returning, exhausted, at dusk. Saturday morning the sun dawned bright. There would be no collecting of nectar today nor need to pollinate, either. Today was a holiday, today they would dance in the Fairy Ring!


Entering Floral Garden Hall, Lavender approached Iris.


“Good day, Iris. I was wondering...are my wings well enough to use now?”


“Good morn, Lavender,” the fairy healer greeted, “Let me take a look.”


Iris stretched Lavender's wings out, one at a time, examining them front and back.


“Does this hurt?” Iris inquired.


“Not really,” Lavender fibbed.


“Well, take it easy for a few days. No long-range flying,” Iris warned.


“Yes, Iris...thank you, Iris.  May the nectar nourish and all your days be pollinated.” Lavender called, dancing away with excitement, almost forgetting to curtsy.


Walking to a deserted field, Lavender twirled around in a circle, making sure she was alone. Gingerly, she tested out her wings, lifting off just a few inches from the ground. It only hurt a little. Encouraged, she flew a little higher. It was exhilarating to be flying again! Her heart soared the higher she went. Her mind turned to tonight's Fairy Ring, the excitement was almost too much to contain!


Tiny fairies wearing gorgeous gowns of every color from the rainbow fluttered here and there excitedly. Their voices, like melodious music, echoed through the dale. The sweet fragrance of flowers was almost overwhelming. All the young girl fairies congregated near the nectar bowl, waiting for an invitation from one of the many males to dance.


The Trumpet Vines announced the approach of King Redwood and Queen Rose. 


“Petals rise!” came a command. 


A pair of young Petals preceded the King and Queen, tossing flower petals here and there.  Queen Rose was beautiful in her velvety scarlet gown.  King Redwood was tall and sturdy, as handsome as always. The inhabitants of Floral Gardens all rose and bowed to their Royal Highnesses, who nodded graciously then took their seats on the raised dais.


“Let the merriment begin!” sang out Queen Rose.


“Would you honor me with a dance?”


Peering up into Oak's eyes, Lavender felt her heart skip a beat.


“I would be honored,” came Lavender's demure reply.


Placing her hand on his, they alighted to the warm night sky. Their bodies silhouetted against the full moon. They swirled and twirled the evening away. Two happier fairies had never been seen!








© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on November 10, 2017
Last Updated on November 29, 2017
Tags: Fairies, Flowers, Wings, Fairy Ring, Copyright Wendy Seames Garner 20


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing