Cupcake Frenzy

Cupcake Frenzy

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

A humorous look at baking cupcakes for your granddaughter's birthday.

"

Cindy grabbed the box of cake mix off the shelf.  Devils food will be perfect for my little devil, she thought.  Tomorrow, her youngest granddaughter would be celebrating her second birthday.  She was determined to take the ordinary cake mix and transform it into something special for Hope's birthday party.  Cindy decided that cupcakes, arranged in the springy cupcake stand, would be perfect.


Almond Joy Cupcakes

1 box Devil's Food Cake

Ingredients needed to make the cake (substitute milk for the water)

1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 - 7 oz bag Sweetened Coconut

1 - 12 oz bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter

1 - 2 oz bag Almonds

1/3 cup Milk 

1.  Mix cake according to directions, substituting milk for the water called for.  Fill cupcake wrappers to half full.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. 

2.  While still warm, poke holes in cupcakes with a fork. 

3.  Combine sweetened condensed milk with coconut.

4.  Pour the mixture over the warm cupcakes.

5.  Top each cupcake with an almond.

6.  Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, with butter, and milk.

7.  Spoon mixture over cupcakes.


As the cupcakes baked in the oven, her mind wandered - as it often did - to the party plans. The theme for the party was Mitzy Mouse, whom Hope watched daily on TV.  The pink polka dot tablecloth, paper plates, cups, and napkins were all bought.  While making the hair bow party favors, Cindy only burnt her fingers on the hot glue gun once. The pinata was already filled with candy.  Her husband, Sam, had taken on that task the previous night - after she had problems finding the hole to put the candy in.  The menu was all set, Hope's favorite food macaroni and cheese and hot dogs.  Add the cupcakes and ...THE CUPCAKES!


One batch of charcoal flavored cupcakes in the garbage and one batch in the oven, she ran around the house opening windows, hoping the smell would be gone before the party.


Nursing the wounded finger she received, while throwing out the charcoal cupcakes, she started the frosting.  She pulled a stick of butter out of the refrigerator, then reached into the cupboard for the confectionery sugar...it wasn't there.  Climbing up on a chair, she pulled everything out of the cupboard, to no avail.  After waiting for the timer to beep, she extracted the cupcakes from the oven - burning herself again - and placed them on a cooling rack.


Grabbing her coat, purse and keys, she headed out to the garage, jumped in the car - bumping her head - and turned the key... nothing happened.  She tried again, still nothing. Fifteen minutes later she gave up. Climbing out of the car, she charged back inside and phoned her husband at work.  Sam promised to look at the car as soon as he arrived home from work. 


She spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning.  Using a long-handled brush she swept away cobwebs from the ceiling - or were those spider webs?  She dusted the furniture, wiped the dog's nose prints off the front windows, swept the floors - chasing dust bunnies that looked more like dust dragons, saving the bathroom and it's dreaded toilet for last.


Tired, she threw a couple of frozen meals in the microwave, prepared a salad and defrosted a couple of dinner rolls.  Sam came home - complaining about something or other that had happened at work.  She gave him a peck on the cheek and they sat down to eat. When Sam went on and on about the incident at work, she only pretended to listen.  Finally, Sam finished eating.  Worried she might be up until midnight, Cindy gave him a little smile and asked, “Sam, could you please take a look at the car now?”


The car started right up for Sam. 


"I tried for fifteen minutes to get the car started," she exclaimed, "Something has to be wrong with it!" 


With a smile, he laughed, "There is a screw loose behind the wheel."  


Giving her a quick kiss, Sam went back into the house.  She grabbed her coat and purse, and was on her way, driving just a little over the speed limit - until the policeman stopped her.


The grocery store was packed, she had to practice some defensive driving techniques with the shopping cart.  She narrowly escaped injury, when a little old woman - who looked to be 100 - came out of nowhere and rammed her handicap cart into Cindy's.


In the baking aisle, she found the confectionery sugar up on the top shelf, just out of reach.   With no grocery workers - or tall people insight - she needed something to whack the box off the shelf.  Grabbing a cake mix box, she had just enough reach to knock her confectionery sugar off the shelf and into her waiting arms.


Her prize in hand, she advanced to the checkout where several long lines snaked back into the grocery aisles. The fast lane " ten items or less " was blocked by a woman with about 50 items or more!  Glancing up at the clock, she cringed, it was already 8:00.


Finally, through the check out line and walking to her car, she clicked the button to unlock the car door.  It wouldn't unlock.  She stood there clicking away for about a minute, she was ready to pull out her cell phone and call her husbandThat's when she saw her car - a couple of rows over.  Red-faced, she looked to see if anyone was watching and scurried to her car.


Home again, she collected the ingredients for her frosting and quickly mixed it together. Carefully, she frosted all twelve cupcakes - a dozen would be enough... wouldn't it - and decorated them.  Looking up at the clock, she thought she might make it to bed before midnight after all - it was just 11:48 pm.


The next day went by in a whirl of activity.  Hope was adorable dressed in pink polka dots.  She tossed balloons into the air and exclaimed over the table decorations. The pinata was a success.   When it came time to open presents, Hope opened just one, refusing to open anything else.  Eventually, all her gifts were opened.


Time for cake and ice cream!   She proudly brought out the stand of cupcakes, with two candles in the uppermost cupcake. Sam lit the candles and everyone sang.  With a little help from her brother, Hope blew out the candles.


She placed a cupcake on the tray of Hope's highchair.  Hope picked it up, brought it to her mouth, and made a face.


“Don't like it!” Hope cried.


“You love cupcakes!” she exclaimed.


In response, Hope threw the cupcake on the floor - where it was quickly gobbled up by the dog. 


The next year, when Hope's birthday came around, Cindy bought cupcakes at the bakery.





© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha, poor Cindy, when anything could go wrong it did.
A great write, and I loved the ending.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like it please kill mmmmmeeeeeeee LLOOLL

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AW! Poor cindy, she worked so hard. Hahaha I liked the ending. Nice job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
3 Reviews
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on November 14, 2017
Tags: copyright WSG, cupcakes, sweet, birthday, grandma, granddaughter


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing