Terrible Twos

Terrible Twos

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

Hope was a sweet, loving granddaughter, and then she turned two...

"

My once sweet little monkey, Hope, is into her “Terrible Twos” now.


Hope loves balloons. Her birthday balloon lasted for a month, but finally would float no more. So, being the good grandma that I am, I told her we would go to the store and buy a new one.


My mistake was buying the balloon first, and then thinking we could do a little grocery shopping, then stop for lunch.


Parking in the Kroger parking lot, I went around to the back door and proceeded to get Hope out of the car seat. She had a death grip on that balloon. I tried to pry it out of her little fingers.


“No, no, my ba-youn," she screamed.


“Balloon will be right here, waiting for you when you come back,” I assured her.


I had a heck of a time getting the seat belt unbuckled with Hope thrashing and the balloon's ribbon intertwined through everything, but somehow I managed.


Hope still screamed, “No, no, my ba-youn,” at the top of her lungs.


“We can't take balloon in the store, Hope, they sell balloons and they will make us pay for it again,” I tried to reason with her.


Dragging her from the car, I ran for the nearest shopping cart. She was wiggling and screaming so much I thought I would drop her. I couldn't believe her super-toddler strength. It took me several minutes before I was able to wrestle her into the cart. All the while she was screaming, “No, no, no!”


I looked around, wondering if anyone thought I was trying to kidnap her. One little old lady was sitting in her car, with her window rolled down.


“That's a feisty one,” she said.


“She didn't want to leave her balloon in the car,” I said, hoping the police weren't already on their way.


As we entered the lobby, I spied a lone balloon up in the corner of the ceiling.


“Look, Hope, a balloon,” I said.


Hope immediately stopped crying.  Almost as if I had turned a switch off,  Hope was her normal sweet self again! I was able to shop to my heart's content, no mention of her “ba-youn”.



© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

LAUGHING .. oh you poor love, you must be exhausted sometimes.You write so well, Wendy, every little episode comes to life. Magic!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on October 28, 2017
Tags: copyright WSG, grandmother, granddaughter, balloon, family, love


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..