My Angel

My Angel

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

My daughter/ My Angel

"

As I think of her now, my angel, she seems almost dream-like. I can't quite see her face or hear her laughter anymore. That saddens me. It's been fifteen years since I gazed into those blue eyes of Jessie's and felt those loving arms around me.


Her thick dark blond hair refused to curl; attempts with curling irons, rollers and perms resulted in short-lived curls or waves. Jessie's skin was as fair as any Disney princess. Five foot ten inch tall, her body was perfectly proportioned, though she was a bit overweight. Jessie tried to conceal her tiny nose stud from me, but I knew, and secretly, I thought was it cute. Her smile, sometimes a bit like Mona Lisa, but often silly, was her most memorable feature. My angel was beautiful, but she didn't know it.


Wearing a long black, or sometimes purple, skirt, t-shirt, and combat boots, Jessie painted her eyes dramatically dark. Her Goth dress, a way to hide her fears and protect herself from others. Instead of a purse, Jessie carried a teddy bear backpack whom she named Moonbeam.


There was a beautiful, almost childlike sweetness about her. Jessie was gullible; tell her anything and she believed you. Jessie was always ready to listen, her embrace, bringing comfort to so many. If a fight broke out, she would intervene, calming everyone down. One of her friends told me recently that before making decisions, he asks himself, “What would Jessie have done?”


Jessie frightened easily; so many times I opened a door, only to hear her let out a little scream. Jessie came to me at work one day, crying, sure she was dying. One night, hitting a deer with her car and doing only minor damage to the mirror, Jessie was deeply upset. Did she have a premonition of what was to come? I've always wondered.


Jessie's “Angel Day” is Wednesday, March 5, 1997. Her sweet life taken away by a monster bent on his own destruction. He carjacked, raped and murdered an eighteen-year-old girl, who was sick and on her way home from school.


Jessie was my baby, my only daughter, now she is my angel. If only...



© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I reread this. Again, sweet and sad.
You also get every other emotion that was written in to it.
It is awesome that this story / memory can be shared. I think there maybe a few parents out there that can relate.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jessica's hair will not curl too. It was a hard to read but very sweet.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Diane!
Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

She will always be my angel.
Kelly79

6 Years Ago

Yes the monster was caught!
So terribly sad! Did they ever catch the monster that did that to her?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
this is really sad, im so sorry to hear the tragedy about your daughter. the ending sadden me. great job on writing your pain.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really sad. Im so sorry to hear about your daughter. Im really sorry.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on November 3, 2017
Tags: copyright WSG, angel, daughter, missing, murder, sadness, loss


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..