Baby Bunny

Baby Bunny

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

Little Hope finds a baby bunny in a grassy nest. Hope and MeMa spend the summer watching the bunny play and grow.

"


“MeMa...look!” little Hope yelled out, her big brown eyes wide with excitement, as she played in the back yard one day. MeMa rushed to where Hope was pointing. She saw a little baby bunny, curled up in a nest of grass and soft fur. “Aw w, it's a baby bunny, Hope.”


Hope reached out to touch the baby. “No, Hope, we can't touch. He is so tiny, we might hurt him. Leave him alone, his mommy will come back and take care of him.”


As the days got hotter, Hope and MeMa often saw the baby bunny hopping around the yard. Each day he would hop to the bird feeder and eat the seeds the birds had scattered on the ground. Sometimes they would see him nibbling a tasty bit of grass.


Baby bunny and his mother now made their home underneath the big spruce tree out back.  The prickly needles somehow making a soft, dry bed for baby bunny.


One morning, they spied him out the front window on the sidewalk below, oh so close, they could almost touch him. A row of daisies and yellow day lilies grew behind him. He looked up at them with his big, beautiful, brown eyes.


Often, they would see him hopping joyously around the backyard, amidst the butterflies and bees. He looked so happy and carefree!


One morning, MeMa was a little unhappy with baby bunny. She found that he had eaten all the newly sprouted beets, she had planted in her garden!


MeMa put up a fence of chicken wire, before replanting the beets. She hoped it would keep baby bunny out.


As the the leaves turned to reds, yellows and browns, then fell to the ground, Hope and MeMa noticed that baby bunny wasn't a baby anymore. He had grown into a handsome big bunny.


Winter came with it's cold, blustery days.  Icicles hung from the eaves and snow was piled everywhere. Hope and MeMa didn't see the bunny anymore, he was hibernating under that big old spruce tree.


Little purple and yellow crocuses were the first sign of spring, soon followed by the forsythia and daffodils.  The grass started turning green and tulips began to blossom.


Early Easter morning MeMa looked out the dining room window.  There she saw their bunny, all grown up.  She couldn't wait to tell Hope she had seen him!


Later that spring, MeMa and Hope found a new little bundle in another nest of grass and fur.



© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


Author's Note

Wendy Seames Garner
Written for a children's book contest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this story I think it will make an excellent childrens story, I hope you win the contest:)). Moonbeam.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Moonbeam! This story did win, but it wasn't a first place winner. This was inspired by .. read more
moonbeam40

11 Years Ago

should have been first:))Moonbeam
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
cute and sweet. a good tale for childrens.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent childrens story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


All your stories about kids are amazing. They are so kind and sweet - and always make me smile. I also enjoyed this one. It reminds me a similar story (but only with a baby hedgehog) from my very early childhood when I was a boy of four.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very sweet story; children will love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Very sweet story:) It was really cute(at the baby bunny part especially)
I like the name MeMa; sounds really nice. xx
Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

555 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 21, 2012
Last Updated on October 28, 2017
Tags: copyright WSG, bunny, granddaughter, grandmother


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart Heart

A Poem by MOON


~ Neon Love ~ Neon Love

A Poem by