Romantic Tragedy: A Love Gone Wrong?

Romantic Tragedy: A Love Gone Wrong?

A Story by wala_lang
"

What can you say about love, especially when it comes in relation to Romeo and Juliet? This is my literary paper in English.

"

As the saying of William Shakespeare says, “We that are true lovers run into strange capers.” It simply means that love, although strange, always brings people together, whether expected or unexpected. This quote matches his piece de résistance, his famous play entitled “Romeo and Juliet.” This stage play, although originated from a poem by Arthur Brooke, has captivated the hearts of millions due to its tragic scenes and thrilling combats. With its setting in Verona, Italy, real neo-classism and renaissance literature combine in this tale. It shows the cataclysmic story of 2 lovers who are fruit of loins of 2 warring families called Montague and Capulet. Amidst their disputes and quarrels, these 2 unfortunate individuals find their way to the fiery passion of romance and also finding a way to end the augural feud of their families.

 

In their world where lies, tragedy, carnage and bloodshed are widespread, their love for each other is ageless, not even death can destroy it. In the play, the Shakespeare elaborated the famous saying of “Love Conquers All.” It’s quite evident that within the story itself, adulation springs and blooms like a flower sprouting in the season of spring and fall. One key point in the tragedy is that it only took 5 days for Romeo and Juliet to see, love and experience happiness together, not to mention that their own families have plans way ahead of them. Romeo on one hand seeks the love of a certain woman named Rosaline, and Juliet on the other hand is betrothed to Count Paris, a relative of High Prince Escalus, who rules the said Kingdom. Meeting in the party organized by the Capulet household in celebration of Paris’ and Juliet’s engagement, these 2 ill-fated lovers crosses paths and after the gathering, the lad sneaks in the balcony where Juliet is located, and there these sweethearts start exchanging vows of love to each other and decides to wed. Followed by their marriage presided over by Friar Lawrence, who is Romeo’s old friend, the two leave each other for a while, meanwhile Benvolio and Mercutio, Romeo’s cousin and Best Buddy, talk as they stride along the city sees the Prince of Cats, Tybalt, who is Juliet’s cousin, asks for Romeo’s presence for a duel with him for attending their party uninvited. Due to Romeo’s insolence, he did not wish to fight, yet Mercutio insisted and as result, was slain at Tybalt’s hands. And as revenge, Romeo pressed on with their duel. In the end, Tybalt dies. Grieving for her nephew’s death, Lady Capulet pleads Prince Escalus to take and so did he, by banishing Romeo out of Verona. Friar Lawrence helps Romeo out, giving him plans to leave for Mantua, however by the morning. The couple (Romeo and Juliet) take their wedding night and immediately, the husband leaves. With the betrothal of Juliet to Paris and making their wedding speedy, by Wednesday, Juliet asks help from Friar and gives her a sleeping potion. Not knowing the plan of the Franciscan Monk and Juliet, Romeo assumes his wife dead and commits suicide beside her by drinking poison. Paris killed by Romeo at a duel in Juliet’s tomb, Juliet wakes up from her slumber and seeing her paramour at her side, deceased, stabs herself with her husband’s dagger. In the end, the two families end their conflict and go on with their lives helping each other. 5 days, how fast time takes to make 2 lovers cross ways and yet in the end, they die, in God’s arms embracing them. Such is the tale of lovers destined to meet, yet doomed to die.

 

In the modern world, teens, such as me, are having relationships at this early age. Forgetting our parents’ advice, we walk our world, our own way, our own style. We always think we have this world for the taking. However, we forget that even education plays an important role in our everyday life. As British Politician Winston Churchill said, "Personally I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.” we have the urge to learn, however the fact that learning can be sometimes boring, has its advantages. Love and education can be balanced, in a way.

 

Robert Burns, Scottish Poet and Lyricist said "O Life! Thou art a galling load, along a rough, a weary road, to wretches such as I." He means that love is a road, it has rough and soft pavements, and in life, that is what we are to face. We can never say love is a big priority. However, life as we know it is run by nature, going along its course to unfold what is in store for us. 

 

Another saying comes from Mahatma Gandhi, Pre-imminent leader of Indian Nationalism says, “Where there is love there is life.” Love is always around; people need only their eyes to look properly to find it. We ourselves are blinded by false love, and sometimes, we commit mistakes. It’s inevitable that we escape wrongdoings, we are not perfect, and therefore, there is always a tendency to make actions hated by people. Related is this saying from Plato, Greek Philosopher which states, “Love is serious mental disease.” Love can be blind, such is a way that when we love a person, we love that individual in a way that we forget ourselves and that we have a life to push on. It is really a mental disease that can infiltrate our minds, dictating to yearn for a life eternal with whoever that we seek in life. Man can never say “I live alone”, but we are not alone, we are with people who try to help us out in whatever problem we have. And that is how love works its charm.

 

In conclusion, love as we can define is unexpected. We can never say when can we see and know who is that special someone in life. Love also is fate and destiny combined, it challenges us seek happiness in life through the daily struggles we face. Call it a noun, call it a concrete human quality, and call it a word, but love is one thing that can never replace any human trait. Romeo and Juliet shared that love, even until death, they still think about each other. Just think of it, love...is it ought for or controllable.     

© 2009 wala_lang


Author's Note

wala_lang
don't use as original work that's plagiarism!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
M
Nice paper. But there are things I'd like to point out though.

First, the story of Romeo and Juliet did not come from Arthur Brooke's "The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet". It is based from a tradition of tragic love stories way far back in history.

Secondly, there is no sleeping potion ever in existence in this tragedy. Friar Lawrence gave a drug that induced a death-like coma for 42 hours. There was no pulse; no warmth; no signs of life whatsoever. A sleeping potion is a too generalized way to put it since sleeping potions can either cause the person to only fall asleep or produce a death-like trance.

Thirdly, I think what you meant to say was "preeminent" since there is no "pre-imminent".

And lastly, you should edit this again before you turn it in as your English literary paper for their are some grammar and style considerations you would want to change.




Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 3, 2009

Author

wala_lang
wala_lang

Marikina, Philippines



About
I am just a mere mortal living with you people,and I am just a person living in such a small world,I am a person of Just and Justice,I am Fair,and kind to people like me,and if you will anger me,you w.. more..

Writing