The Way We Were.

The Way We Were.

A Story by waywithwords
"

A children's story.

"

The Way We Were.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Brown loved being grandparents. They could not do enough to help them all live a good life. Times were hard for the Browns but they always shared anything that the children would enjoy. The children thought the Browns biscuits were so very special, because they were sandwiched with chocolate between two biscuits. They were called Burbon biscuits.

The Browns took all the eight children to the park each week where the children could run around and play on the swings, their favourite. The Browns always took a packed lunch and homemade lemonade and the children were in there element.

Mr. Brown had reached seventy five and felt all his aches and pains, but always put the children first.  He read stories with Mrs. Brown on alternate nights when the children stayed at there home, each weekend.  Their pension was a megre amount but managed well in buying cheap cuts of meat and ensuring that one meal cooked, would last for two days.

The children loved their grandparents and loved staying at the weekend because they owned a beautiful brown dog with floppy ears called sniffer. He even made the sound of sniffing, which made all the children laugh heartedly.  The Browns also had a brown tabby cat that was so loving and she adored the children petting her. She was called Marmy because the Browns loved their marmite on toast.

The Browns also had a chicken that played well with both of the other animals and  Chic as he was called, was the first animal that they had bought so it was well used to the others.  Sometimes the children even walked him around the yard with string around his neck, as though he was a puppy dog.

One weekend when the children were staying the weather was terrible. It was lashing down with rain and a hole appeared in the bedroom ceiling. Drip, drip is all they heard and nobody could get a wink of sleep.  Mr. Brown put a bucket on the bedroom floor and the drips carried on and on and on.

The children were all trying to sleep and it was hard enough all sharing the same bed without the dripping noise.  Mr. Brown dragged himself out of his bed and returned with his new black brolly. The children laughed and then he put the umbrella up and the dripping stopped and alll went sound a sleep with a smile on all their faces.

 

© 2008 waywithwords


Author's Note

waywithwords
all comments gladly received.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very heartwarming... *the ol' girl puts in a plug for marmite... lol... I love it!! Could use a bit of editing here and there, but overall it is a lovely story... tugs on the ol' heartstrings. I really enjoyed this. Will send a few suggestions in a separate message that you may or may not fancy, but either way, I love this story. I needed a good bedtime story.. thanks!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There isn't much a grandparent won't do for their grandchildren---this I know. A heart-warming story, waywithwords.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

awwww. They sound like sweet people! I like this story its very nice and peaceful. Your description of the dog seriously made me want to cuddle with him!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very heartwarming... *the ol' girl puts in a plug for marmite... lol... I love it!! Could use a bit of editing here and there, but overall it is a lovely story... tugs on the ol' heartstrings. I really enjoyed this. Will send a few suggestions in a separate message that you may or may not fancy, but either way, I love this story. I needed a good bedtime story.. thanks!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 19, 2008

Author

waywithwords
waywithwords

United Kingdom



About
I am a mother, grandmother and a great grandmother and I am nearly sixty four years old. I should say young because at this time I still feel that way and feel lucky that my health and energy is still.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..