The Aryk Williams Chronicle: Crusade - Prologue

The Aryk Williams Chronicle: Crusade - Prologue

A Chapter by Kye Westfall
"

This chapter is a base for the book. It revolves around the main character's grandfather, and gives a background to the book. This chapter is all about an epic dragon fight.

"

Aaron William's warm breath shattered the mid-winter day. He reached for his belt, and firmly grabbed the hilt of his long sword. Standing next to him was his brother, Jonathan Williams, who stood at the ready. Today was the big day.

            “He isn't coming. I knew it.” Aaron said.

            “I never have trusted him.” Jonathan said.

            “I shouldn't have either. I'm not sure if we can kill it on our own brother.” Aaron said.

            “Killing him is the best thing we can do for this village. If we don't, and he awakens, we could all be dead.” Jonathan said.

            “I can't believe he has been here so long with none of us knowing. I hope Thomas doesn't run his mouth about it in town and alert everyone.” Aaron said.

            “Me too. I think it's about time to do this.” Jonathan said.

            “Agreed. Now remember, I must deal the final blow, so the dragon’s magic can be absorbed into this armor.” Aaron reminded Jonathan.

            “Okay.” Jonathan said.

            “*sigh* are you ready?” Aaron asked.

            “Yes brother.” Jonathan replied.

            “On the count of three, we sprint to the cave, and deal with this beast. Best not let him get out, or he could fly away. But if he awakes, do not get yourself trapped in there.” Aaron explained.

            “Alright then.” Jonathan said.

            “One... two... THREE!”

The two men sprinted towards the cavern's opening. It was dark and omniscient, and the growls of the wild beast's snoring echoed into the wide open mountain side. The fog, encasing the peaks of the mountains, blotted out the sun. The sky was dreary gray and the snow was falling slowly. Their feet crunched on the crisp snow with each step. Jonathan was in chainmail armor from his neck down. The sleeves cut off mid-bicep, displaying his dark, gigantic arms. He was wearing spiked gauntlets, with the fingers cut out. His chest bore the sign of a lion, and the cloth it was printed on was ragged and brown. Beneath the shirt was a plate of solid steel, a sheet that was added only to the chest,  ultimately to protect his chest.  His thighs were plated as well, and he wore a set of steel boots. His head was exposed and his dark hair flowed and whipped with the wind. He had a large nose, and pale blue eyes. His face was torn up, blood crusted in various places. His mouth was small, and his lips were cracked. Mid sprint Jonathan pulled the two handed ax from its resting place on his back. The ax was large; its two identical blades shone with the glisten of metal and was red with blood stains in some places.

            Aaron was wearing a red plate and chain armor combination. He wore a large hood that was black. His dark gray eyes were cold and hollow, yet full of mystery and knowledge. The chain mail covered his entire body, all the way from his boots to his neck. Plating was to be found on his thighs, forearms, and chest. His boots went clear to his knees, covering some of the chainmail. The plate armor went from his elbow to his knuckles, and he was wearing black leather gloves to hide his skin. His hood covered his short brown hair, and hid his identity from anyone looking from the sides or back. He wore a brown goatee and he nose was broken in two different places. The insignia on his chest bore a dragon, grasping what looked to be a stone. A cape fluttered behind him, flapping with the rushing air.

            The cave entrance drew nearer, and air drew colder with every step. Then, a loud crashing noise echoed out of the cave. The roar penetrated into their ears. At that point they both came to a sudden sliding stop. Aaron ripped his sword from its sheath. The curvy red blade ran up four feet in length. Its hilt bore a red ruby wrapped in leather, attached to the metal.

            “Get ready! Here it comes!” Aaron shouted.

At that time the beast emerged out of the cavern entrance. The monster was huge, two stories high, and had two large, tattered bat wings that protruded from its back. Two horns, much like that of a ram, emerged and twisted from the sides of its head. Its eyes were jet black, and its mouth was a gaping hole of death. The teeth that lined its mouth were a charred black, and when it roared, it expired fire. It spread its wings, jumped off of its rabbit like legs and made for the skies. As the dragon did this, the wind from its wings nearly knocked the two men off their feet. The dragon circled above their heads, and swooped down with a loud swoosh and rained fire upon them. The two men covered their heads. The fire heated their armor to an excruciating temperature.

            “Jesus! What are we going to do?” Jonathan yelled.

            “Calm down. We are going to have to get it to the ground and tag team it. Just avoid its head and tail.” Aaron told him.

The dragon made its way back above, made one last circle turned towards the direction of the town.

“We can't let it destroy the town Jonathan!”

The village of Kelanda was soon to be under attack from a dragon.

 

***

 

A child stood with his mother. In the market place they stood, looking through the selections of crisp red apples, bright yellow corn, and various selections of unskinned, freshly cut lamb and beef legs, lining the market place stands. Soft white snow drifted down upon the village. It was peaceful afternoon. Wooden and stone houses lined the streets. The wood on each house was old and frail, easily flammable. Only the stone bases could with stain any kind of attack. The streets were cramped and full of cheery villagers; old time friends, battle-worn warriors, and various children running amuck with no care in the world.

            “Mother?”

            “Yes my son?”

            “May I play with the other children? Please?”

            “No Jacob you have to help me with dinner. Now help me choose what veggies should be in tonight’s stew.”

            “But this is so boring! I want to play with the other children!”

            “No.”

            “But why?”

            “Because I said so, Jacob.”

            “Okay...”

Jacob and his mother continued to shop. A few moments later a screech filled the air.

            “Mother, did you hear that?”

            “Hear what Jacob? Your friends calling you over?”

            “No... it was like a bird.”

            “Then it was a bird.”

            “It was different.”

It happened again, much louder this time.

            “Did you hear it this time?”

            “Yes... I don't think it's anything I've ever heard before. Oh well, let's keep shopping.”

A roar filled the air with a deafening boom, coming from right above.

            “Everybody! Run!” a man cried out.

            “Dragon!” another man yelled.

The dragon dropped out of the sky, throwing fire across the frail wooden buildings. Jacob ran for his life, leaving his mother behind. The fire rose high into the sky. Jacob turned from the main alleyway and ducked into another one, which was much smaller. The dragon swooped down again, raining fire on the crowds that lay behind the boy. Agonizing cries filled the air in a most haunting way. Jacob kept running. The sound of his own feet clattered off the buildings around him. The dragon screeched above him, and dropped for another fly by. In his frantic state of shock Jacob lost track of where he was, turning down alleys without thinking it through. Jacob turned again, into a dark alley. His legs gave out underneath him. He hit the ground face first and knocked his front teeth out. Blood sputtered from his lips with each pant. Blood was running down his chin and shirt, and Jacob summoned the last of his energy. He slowly stood up, his knees shaking. The crackling of fire soon drowned out the cries of his fellow villagers. Jacob started to run again-- only to find himself at a dead end. He turned back around as one of the buildings exploded, sending hot embers everywhere. Jacob was trapped. He fell to his knees in prayer. The screech of the dragon, the cries of the weak, and the crackling fire engulfed his ears. Jacob fainted. The fires soon consumed him.

 

***

 

As the monstrous fires consumed his home village, Thomas Haft stood in his house, on the outskirts of town. He was gearing up. Thomas slammed his leather helmet down on his skull. Thomas had a white knuckle grip on his long bow that was made of oak, and was polished down until it shined. Sinew was wrapped neatly on each end, and was coiled together to make a strong string. Thomas was all suited up in the leather that he had personally obtained and crafted. He wore soft leather clothing, which went from the chest down to his knees like a kilt. He wore another layer of hard leather, covering his chest, shoulders, sides, and back above the soft fur and leather. He wore more hard leather strapped to his thighs, shins, and forearms. He wore leather boots, tanned on the outside, fur encasing the inside for warmth, and hard leather on the bottom to protect his feet. His leather helmet was hard leather that covered the sides, top, and back of his head. It also hung down in front of his forehead was a tight squeeze to get on. His long blonde hair crept from the back, hanging out as a pony tail. Blue war paint covered his face. His eyes were a dark green, and his nose was rather large. On top of all the leather he already wore, he had a special fur pelt he wore on his torso, hanging from only one shoulder, wrapping around his waist. Thomas grabbed a small iron dagger that sat in its case, and strapped to his right calf. On his left arm he wore a small shield like arm piece that replaced his gauntlet. On his right hand he wore a glove, to protect his fingers from the hard string. On his back was a large quiver, full of long iron and hawk feather arrows. Thomas was finally ready to help. He hopped out of his small cabin, and onto the crunchy snow. Freshly cut wood lay on the ground beside him, as was a woodcutting axe. He picked it up, and strapped it to his back- it was always good to have backup weapons as an archer. The foul smell of the fires filled his nostrils, and the smoke hung in the air heavy. Thomas looked to his right, where the village was. The town was a fireball, lighting the sky. He searched for the dragon. Even from a distance, Thomas could make out the small stone castle, a last resort for the villagers. It had a large courtyard as well. The flags that used to fly high about the castle were burnt into a crisp, and the castle walls - scorched back. Thomas started to walk towards the town. A small stream ran by his cabin, with small ice clumps around the banks. Small trees, cold and lifeless, hung above the water. Thomas walked over the small bridge slowly, still investigating the scene of the village. Thomas saw a large stream of fire rise up from the castle court yard-- that must be the dragon, he thought. Thomas was probably about a five minute run from the castle, probably even shorter because of his speed. He was quick and nimble-- perfect for being an archer. Though he was tall, it was actually an advantage to him. He could draw a longer bowstring than most archers, thus making his bow more powerful than the rest.

Thomas’s cabin was considered the “outskirts of town” though it was actually not even part of the town. His cabin, along with two others, held up as a nice neighborhood. Thomas lived next to Aaron and Jonathan, and planned to kill the dragon with them as it slept. But he failed to wake up in time to go with them- he had drank too much mead in the local inn the night before. Although Thomas was a little hung-over, he held his liquor well. Thomas was thinking of how bad of a friend he was to the Williams Brothers. They had gone to fight the dragon on their own, and they must have awoken the dragon. Thomas was not a man with fear, yet he felt it this day. The dragon wasn't just any dragon and he knew it. He had forgotten what Aaron called it but he knew that it was something sinister.

            Thomas ran over all the small streams and frozen marches as he headed towards the south gate of Kelanda. Usually there were guards out front, but because of the circumstances he knew they were gone. He hopped over the last stream of the marshes and landed on a dirt road; the road that lead directly to the great city of Alexzandria, which further lead to Serome. 

            Thomas tugged on the gate with all his might. It was barred from the inside. He thought to himself; trying to find a way to get inside. There were only two entrances to town, from the mountain side to the north, or the south gate leading to the marshes. Thomas thought the only way to get it would be to run to the north gate, so he set out.

 

***

 

            Soon after awaking the dragon and trying to catch it before it burnt the village down, Aaron and Jonathan ran as fast as they could downhill. The mountain side was steep, and they were stumbling with every step. The soon to be burnt village lay in the valley beneath them, the castle closest to them. They had run off course of the narrow, winding horse trail and instead took the dangerous way down, through the trees. Uncontrollably they made their way past each pine, ducking beneath each branch, and dodging as best as they could. Not far was left to go until they hit the open, but first they need to cross the wide, raging stream. Down the horse trail had been a bridge, but the two brothers had forgotten. They approached the stream. It was about 15 feet across, and probably knee deep at the shore. The edges of the water had ice formations, and throughout the middle of the stream large ice clumps floated down aggressively. A roar filled the air. As Aaron looked to Jonathan, they both knew the dragon had just started its assault, and now was the time to either save the village or die trying.

            “Well, how are we going to pass it?? We don't have time to fool around!” Jonathan said.

            “Let me think...” Aaron said.

            “We don't have time to think brother!!”

            “I know! Just give me a moment!”

            “We don't have a...” He was cut off

            “Wait! I remember a spell... it could help us cross.”

            “What is it?”

            “It is a powerful ice forming attack, but if I angle it right, the spell will skip across the water and create an icy bridge.”

            “It sounds sketchy”

            “Do you have a better idea?”

            “No...”

            “Naturally. Now just let me do my thing.”

            “Alright then.”

            Aaron raised his hands above his head, and started swirling his arms around, drawing in fragments of wind, snow, ice, and water together in between them. A white ball of light soon formed, sputtering off snowflakes as he absorbed the weather around him to create the spell. Aaron started mumbling incantations, and with a violent thrust, bent over, shouted an inaudible word and sprayed the spell across the water. A crackling sound emitted into the immediate air around them and an ice bridge was formed.

            “Quickly, before it washes away Jonathan.”

            “Aye”

            The two ran across, heading towards the castle gate. The screams of the villagers cluttered the air; slowly being drowned out but the crackling of fire. Then, above the castle, shot a stream of orange.

            “The dragon! He is in the courtyard!”

            “I agree Jonathan let us flank him through the gate!”

The gate sat about one hundred yards ahead, through the remaining pines. But the land was quickly turning from pines to marsh, as the two brothers raced towards the castle. The marsh water splashed up on the two, but the end was in sight. Just a mere fence lay between them and a gate.

            “Need a hand over?” Jonathan asked.

            “Nay. I have it.”

            “I think I see someone approaching us at a fast sprint, what say you?”

            “Aye. That's definitely a person.”

            “Aaron! Jonathan! It's me, Thomas!”

            “By the gods, we thought you would never come!” Aaron shouted.

            Thomas approached them and caught his breath.

            “Look, I'm sorry.”

            “That's all you have to say? After abandoning us??” Jonathan asked.

            “Yes. I partied too much last night, I can still feel the fresh mead on my belly.” Thomas replied.

            “You're pathetic.” Aaron said.

            “Aye, you'd be right by that one. But I am here, to die, for Kelanda!”

            “Aye!” The other two shouted.

            A fiery shower from above ended their celebrations.

            “The dragon, he is still in the courtyard is he not?” Thomas asked.

            “He hasn’t moved.” Aaron said.

            “How shall we attack?” Jonathan said.

            “Jonathan, you're with me. Thomas, climb the guard's tower and provide some ranged attacks.”

            “But the guard's tower... 'tis made of wood Aaron.”

            “Shall you perish, the people will know of your deeds.”

            “I 'spose... Aye. I shall do it!”

            “That's the archer I know!” Aaron patted him on his back as he ran through the gate, towards the tower on the other side of the courtyard. “Brother?”

            “Yes brother?”

            “If we are to die on this glorious day, know that I love you.”

            “Aye brother. The feeling is mutual.”

            “To slay the dragon?”

            “Aye! For Kelanda!”

             The two brothers rushed through the gate. The dragon, sat in a corner, feasting upon a horse. Its wicked black wings made a haunting shadow, as the beast tore the horse to part, limb by limb.

            “Aaron! I shall flank it!”

            “Aye! Thomas! You ready??”

            “Aye!”

            The archer started flinging arrows. The first of the volley, perched itself in the dragons shoulder. Unsuspecting of attack and clearly deaf, the dragon screeched, and unfolded its wings. Jonathan made his approach from the left. The dragon lifted itself into the air.

            “Jonathan! Watch it!!”

            “Nay!”

            Jonathan thrusted his ax through the air, leaving his hands, the ax stuck into the dragons back near its tail. Hovering above, the dragon turned and flung fire towards Jonathan. He lunged left, hit  the ground, rolled, and was back up approaching from a different direction in no time. The dragon turned right, looking for him. Jonathan was within a couple meters. He jumped, and grabbed ahold of his ax. He wrapped his left arm around the dragon's tail as he ripped the ax from the flesh and wielded it one handed. A hiss came from the wound, as the dragon’s poisonous blood hit fresh air. Jonathan struggled for control, as the dragon started whipping. Jonathan cocked his right arm back, and smashed the ax into the dragons spine. But as doing so, lost grip with his left arm. Holding on with one hand, Jonathan tried to hang from his right arm, but the dragon's thrashing was unbearable. The dragon, wounded, hit the ground again. But flipped right, and smacked his wing into Jonathan.

            “Jonathan!!!” Aaraon cried.

            Jonathan hit the ground, his shoulder bone shattered. Before Jonathan could move, the dragon lifted his spikey tail high in the air, and brought it down on him hard.

            “NO!!!” Aaron screamed, seeing his brother bashed out of existence in a gory mess. But the battle continued.

            One by one, arrows continued to hit the dragon in the shoulder and wing. The dragon, annoyed lifted into the air to find the archer. He circled, searching for his prey. He spotted Aaron. He dove, and launched a volley of fire balls down on him. Aaron quickly summoned a magical boundary around him to protect him from fire. The dragon followed up his fireballs with a swoop in, and a harsh landing in front of Aaron. As he did this, an arrow flew in. Landing in the eye socket, the dragon screeched in pain, and turned to the direction it came from. The dragon had spotted the archer, fifty yards away. Instead of flying, the dragon stomped his way over. He was within firing range within ten seconds.

            “Aaron! It's all over for me! Take your chance now!”

            Between the confusion, Aaron realized his destiny. He stopped cowering, protecting himself from dying, and spotted the exposed back of the dragon. Aaron sprinted forward, dodged the dragon’s dangerous tail, and seized his brother’s ax. He ripped it out, and wielded it above his head. Thomas continued to fling arrows. The dragon opened its mouth, and rained fire about the poor archer. At this moment, Aaron thrusted the ax down upon the dragon's tail, slicing it clean off, and ruining the dragon's chance to deal him the same fate as his brother. The ax stuck in the ground while doing so. Aaron quickly drew his sword, and hopped upon the dragons back, climbing his spiky spine. The dragons started to trash wildly, but Aaron kept balance and continued up the dragon’s shoulders. He then muttered a spell, and slammed the sword through the back of the skull of the evil drake. The dragon took his dying breath, and dealt his last blow. He slammed his ram-like head into Aaron's ribcage, under the armpit, wear the plate metal did not cover. Aaron and the dragon fell together. The dragon then started convulsing, and a magical aura emitted from his eyes, nose and mouth as his magic was sucked from him, and captured into the red armor Aaron wore, forever more.

 



© 2013 Kye Westfall


Author's Note

Kye Westfall
This is not part of the overall story, it is just the backbone to it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
"Aaron William's warm breath shattered the mid-winter day. He reached for his belt, and firmly grabbed the hilt of his long sword. Standing next to him was his brother, Jonathan Williams, who stood at the ready. Today was the big day."

1) That's some stinky breath.
2) What's he reaching for -- belt or hilt?
3) His standing brother stood?
4) Today is a big day -- shattering an entire day with the contents of your lungs, standing with your brother, grabbing things... it's all there.

Your four sentences don't pull together when I read them. As you can see, from my thoughts as a reader, they just seem to be disparate units of meaning.

Here is the kind of thing I personally WANT to see:
"Aaron William's and his brother Jonathan stood, breath curling like dragon smoke in the cold winter's air. Their hands each caressed the pommel of the sword that was scabbarded at their waist. And one of them was thinking, "Today is the big day.""

The same actors and items, a bit of (fantasy related) imagery, and a hook to make the reader think.


I hope this example helps you to consider how readers are supposed to assess your work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

TLK

11 Years Ago

“Killing him is the best thing we can do for this village. If we don't, and he awakens, we could a.. read more
TLK

11 Years Ago

Addition: I mean 'something else' as in 'not dialogue'.
Kye Westfall

11 Years Ago

It gets more action, and I admit I'm not the best at dialogue. I appreciate your help, but honestly .. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
"Aaron William's warm breath shattered the mid-winter day. He reached for his belt, and firmly grabbed the hilt of his long sword. Standing next to him was his brother, Jonathan Williams, who stood at the ready. Today was the big day."

1) That's some stinky breath.
2) What's he reaching for -- belt or hilt?
3) His standing brother stood?
4) Today is a big day -- shattering an entire day with the contents of your lungs, standing with your brother, grabbing things... it's all there.

Your four sentences don't pull together when I read them. As you can see, from my thoughts as a reader, they just seem to be disparate units of meaning.

Here is the kind of thing I personally WANT to see:
"Aaron William's and his brother Jonathan stood, breath curling like dragon smoke in the cold winter's air. Their hands each caressed the pommel of the sword that was scabbarded at their waist. And one of them was thinking, "Today is the big day.""

The same actors and items, a bit of (fantasy related) imagery, and a hook to make the reader think.


I hope this example helps you to consider how readers are supposed to assess your work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

TLK

11 Years Ago

“Killing him is the best thing we can do for this village. If we don't, and he awakens, we could a.. read more
TLK

11 Years Ago

Addition: I mean 'something else' as in 'not dialogue'.
Kye Westfall

11 Years Ago

It gets more action, and I admit I'm not the best at dialogue. I appreciate your help, but honestly .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
1 Review
Added on April 11, 2013
Last Updated on April 11, 2013
Tags: magic, fire, dragon, bow, archery, arrows, shield, sword, death, fantasy


Author

Kye Westfall
Kye Westfall

Pocatello, ID



About
I am a writer, I like writing fiction about magic and swords basically. I am just starting out really, I've been writing my "book" for about 5 years. But honestly it hasn't really gotten anywhere besi.. more..

Writing