The Truth of Humanity

The Truth of Humanity

A Poem by Matt Shutler

Eyes wide shut, they deem themselves worthy to judge,

 

But how alluring it seems, how

           the power,

                             the act,

                                           the blood draws us in; internally closer to the darkest core of humanity.

 

And with ecstasy in our hearts

          we conquer,

                               we ravage,

                              we slaughter.

But remember one thing:

Death is only the beginning and anything but quick.                   

 

Disregarding life, they cast the pure into night and sentence all to hell.

 

The fiery depths consume without remorse,

            Pulling you

                                deeper….

                                                 deeper….

                              deeper into the void.       

 

Enchantments of old and the spells of new forever are blocking our minds from understanding and our eyes from ever seeing, and dwindling from Saturn's spell we must master the chaos long locked in our hearts.

© 2008 Matt Shutler


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

minds form understanding and our eyes form ever seeing

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The theme of this poem seems as if it's referring to religion (specifically something linked to Christianity or Catholicism). This is a nicely thought out poem. Omitting conjunctions (otherwise known as "asyndeton" lol) gets your point across and adds a fitting tone to it, and it all sounds excellent. Very nice poem!

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's a great poem, and I love you did with the visual part of it. The feel of the poem I'm all too familiar with, but I can't say it hit home as hard as it could've. The words were well chosen, and the flow is well done. The end is my favorite part really, those last two lines are...catchy, to say the least.

I suppose the reason I don't feel this as much as I should, is that it reminds me more of a rant in it's style, which, while I don't mind it, I feel more empty towards, so my personal taste plays more a part there than the actual poem quality would, I suppose.

I like the slow, oozing liquid-like flow of the poem...it fits really well with the words and the feel.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the depth of the review of Celtic Cat's.

Nice poem.

what do you call the form you used?

with
this
way of typing

its nice, and very effective.

Posted 16 Years Ago


minds form understanding and our eyes form ever seeing

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

372 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

Matt Shutler
Matt Shutler

MI



About
High School writer, and Editor of our paper, The Cougar Crier. I seriously love writing, and lately I actually started writing poerty (something I never used to do). I'm planning on writing in college.. more..

Writing
Duality Duality

A Poem by Matt Shutler



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..