Humans Being

Humans Being

A Story by Tamara
"

A short one off that niggled around in my brain until I put pencil to paper.

"

Humans Being


I am afraid of them. The mere thought of them lurking in hidden places, hiding in the great wide open, chills me like blue flame. They act like they can’t see me but they do, they always do. They flaunt their superiority, laugh at our frailties and murder our children. They seek to dominate, eradicate us from the earth, to claim their spot at the top of the food chain. We must fight back. We must protect what is ours. I have been elected to lead the fight. I can feel the weight of our race, heavy on my shoulders and in my heart. Not all of us wishes to fight them, some even wish to join them. I try not to think about such things. I am to be a champion, a slayer if you will. Or perhaps a murder? A small voice in my head whispers.


I push the voice aside and enter the small room where my hunting team awaits me.


I can see Cera and James standing together next to a large stone fireplace. Shadows and light thrown by the flickering fire play across their faces and I am struck by how young they look. They should be thinking about living and falling in love, not hunting and trying to save us all from extinction. I can hear snippets of their conversation.


“…garlic and crosses?” Cera asks.


Not effective at all.” James replies, rolling his eyes.


Ah, the modern media. What a poor excuse for an education.


James sees me first and falls silent. Cera turns her head and locks eyes with me. I can read fear and sadness there. They both walk towards me. Soon, the rest follow suit. Marcus and Paul. Rachael, Mary and Nick. Soon they and all the rest are gathered around me. They don’t speak a word.


It’s almost time.” I begin. “The sky is about to change colour again and so we must go. This is the time of day they are the weakest.”


There is a soft murmuring as fear and tension begin to grow. I hold up my hand.


My friends, this is not a decision we have made lightly. It is something that must be done”.


I look at Cera as one tear rolls down her cheek.


But they just don’t understand….” She begins.


I silence her with a look.


And they never will.” I reply sadly and smile softly at her, baring my pointed fangs.


Another night of hunting begins.

© 2013 Tamara


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
gcp
A nicely little twist in the tale - like it :)

A couple of little things that niggle - ' chills me like blue flame' seems a little strange - flames hot - blue flames particularly so. I'm not sure how the flame chills.

also:

"and smile softly at her baring my pointed fangs" - needs a comma (otherwise she is baring your fangs - which I'm pretty sure you don't mean).

Good writing and a nice idea - the blood sucking theme comes out nicely - and ending is cool :)



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tamara

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Nice catch on the comma, I haden't noticed it. I do need to rethink the flame bit.. read more



Reviews

Very interesting :D I liked it very much, thanks for that :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tamara

11 Years Ago

Thank you! :)
Daniela Jamiso

11 Years Ago

No p :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
gcp
A nicely little twist in the tale - like it :)

A couple of little things that niggle - ' chills me like blue flame' seems a little strange - flames hot - blue flames particularly so. I'm not sure how the flame chills.

also:

"and smile softly at her baring my pointed fangs" - needs a comma (otherwise she is baring your fangs - which I'm pretty sure you don't mean).

Good writing and a nice idea - the blood sucking theme comes out nicely - and ending is cool :)



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tamara

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Nice catch on the comma, I haden't noticed it. I do need to rethink the flame bit.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 12, 2013
Last Updated on March 13, 2013
Tags: vampire, supernatura, horror

Author

Tamara
Tamara

Keswick, On, Canada



About
I'm a writer/actor/singer living north of Toronto On. more..

Writing
Words Words

A Poem by Tamara



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I'm Ok I'm Ok

A Poem by umbraeyes