“We often destroy what We don’t understand”

“We often destroy what We don’t understand”

A Poem by Pax
"

-----

"

 

 

 

 

We often destroy what We don't understand

 

We often Owned, what We don’t Own.

Being Possessive, We become Invasive.

                

- We often Neutralize, what We can’t Realize.

                     - Full Realization comes after the Actual Destruction.

Creating our own Ending.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s note:

 

Sometimes I would think that we ‘humans’ are too cruel to nature. We divide and conquer almost everything in our path and We devour without even compensating or even understand the effects of what we took. Sometimes I would say  that where does the heart of humanity lies into? Is it in the heart someone else? Or is it in the heart of the things we crave to have?

 

Sometimes we seek too much love of things or with someone that we forgot the side effects of too much consumption. Yeah, when we love someone too much, we give them our everything, we do our best to provide so we take almost everything from nature or other things that nature provide. When we love too much we became blind on the things we do for them, that we tend to forget the side effects of the much bigger picture.

 

Look at this way, if give and give, so in other words - we purchase and purchase, so the demand on the supply becomes high.  And to where we got our supply? It’s from nature or the things that surrounds nature.

 

As humans multiply our demand for food and shelter grows. Then we become invasive and much destructive. There is nothing wrong for our race to multiply that’s okay I guess, but it becomes wrong when we consumed too much.

 

 

“We often destroy what We don’t understand”

 

This certain line just pops out of my mind, and it can be interpret in so many ways possible.  Then as I search for photos in google, I found this quote that somehow fitted to my sentiments as well on this poem. It says:

 

“I don’t understand why when we destroy something created by man we call it vandalism, but when we destroy something by nature we call it progress.”

Ed Begley Jr.

 

 

and also this one:

 

So in the matters on how we take that simple line I came up with - it can be taken in many ways. Either we destroy our own because we don’t understand them or we destroy this certain bacteria because we don’t understand its effect on us or any other else or things that you can come up to.  Yeah we eradicate certain organism because it is harmful to us, but sometimes we neglect to see to where and why it is here in the first place. We all know that everything around us is a constant evolution and everything seems to be connected in some point one way or another. Sometimes it is our own fault why some organism that are harmful are here in this world, more often they are our own creation, somehow in our constant manipulation of things.

 

Perhaps indeed we are manipulative in nature, we become invasive/aggressive on our progress. Somehow we could stop this when we are careful, always take things in considerate amount not wanting to destroy the natural balance of things and be caution to every side effects of what we consume too much.

Now I see that simple lines can came up a deeper understanding of the much bigger picture of things. My first thought about those lines was just about how we over consume many things around us, and now I realized much, it is much bigger than I think it is not.

 

I think I have over written my author’s note, big smiles. To end this long essay short, I thank you for reading my thoughts.

© 2014 Pax


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This brought to mind some speculation that some scientists partake in, and it's the hypothesis that intelligent species (of the universe) are often unable to be found due to the destructive nature of them. Oddly, I'm quite hopeful for humanity's future, as war is becoming less and less of an actual option in regards to solving international issues. Interdependency is what makes us all cautious to pull the trigger, and it's almost poetic that what saves humanity is its own greed, for who would want to wage a war against their biggest customer?
Scientists are at the pinnacle of discovery and still going even higher. And, despite our invasive attitudes (of which is possessed by nearly every species in the whole spectrum of life, seen from the way plants choke each other for nutrients and help only members of the same species and the various conflicts between animals in nature), animals are even adapting to it, as seen in the way pigeons are nesting in cities and racoons scavenge through our trash for snacks.

If anything, I'd say we have one more frightening war as a species until we decide to banish large-scale warfare in general (small rebellions are a different story). All of our other efforts are to bettering the species and ensuring our species' lifespan is long. We're on the brink of colonizing space and developing safe, alternative sources to petroleum, and it's relatively improbable that we are to wipe ourselves out prior to 2100 (no, seriously, research into it).
I get into politics too often.
Nonetheless, well done, Pax, as always. Keep expressing yourself, you're very poignant at it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

I already know Tai, me working here in Saudi to where Oil is the primary source of big income, alrea.. read more
Tai Ryens

10 Years Ago

Oil is already not the only source of energy and we, as a species, have a great variety of choices p.. read more



Reviews

As always you reach in, grab hold of the heart of matters, and hold them high to display to all where and what we should be considering. Your thoughts always amaze me, my friend.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

9 Years Ago

Thank you, my friend...
Amongst all the kindesses and care for both Humanity and Nature, there creeps such cruelty and selfishness on our planet. Great thinkers have over centuries tried to analyse facts, tried to discover reasons for the way our world is crumbling into itself.. and one point rises to the surface almost every time: Man is so busy protecting his /her own interests, other living forms don't matter. Money and Power have become what to have and be. Being gentle and tender and respectful and tolerant no longer means a thing!

What evolves is the index finger to point or play with, the inner eye that makes introversion seem a must be had quality, ears that fold over so nobody's guidance or wisdom can be heard.. and i could go on.

Nature wil one day collapse and drown us all... because it has more power than Man realises. Try killing weeds.. in time.. there's always one that will thrust itself into our polluted air and make faces.

A brilliant post, Pax.. and one that should keep a few minds or more thinking and working.. and God willing, acting wisely!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, ms. Em's.... you have grace me with your insights and wisdom, I am truly gratef.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
RJ
Speaking to the self destructive nature of man with this one i.e. we hurt that which we love. I really like your writing Pax, it's very abstract, it's shape is unique.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

9 Years Ago

thank you very much my friend, it is indeed a reflection on how we are as humans can be so destructi.. read more
Very in-depth. I can see your mind always questioning.which is good.you should always question.it is how we learn.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

it does my good friend, i just have to stop it once in a while, because they are sometime very loud,.. read more
I think we all are so cruel at heart because it truly is "survival of the fittest" in nature, something from which we came..

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Rylei, and I do agree in your thoughts...
Pax this is philosophical and scientific in nature. I'd like to ponder this a little deeper. You've done such a great job expressing your thoughts and points here. It deserves my best words and thoughts. I'll come back for this .

Ok Pax here is my take. I'll try to be direct to the point and concise . Have you ever seen or watched on Discovery Channel the american bison and wildebeest migration ? They do these to find fresh grazing ground to feed and satisfy their insatiable appetite for fresh nutritious grass and legumes. They number by millions and are spectacular to watch and behold from the distance and safety of an airplane or helicopter. Even with their shear numbers, they could never deplete nor ravage all the resources they touched. There's a sort of symbiotic relationship between the animals and the plants. They take from the ground and they gave back something in return in the form of their dung which fertilized the earth. Then they move to another location to feed and graze allowing the ground to recuperate and replenish . So there is a sort of symbiotic relationship, mutual understanding or peaceful coexistence between animal and plant kingdom from their perspective. There's a balance maintained in the law of nature even among the animal and plant species.

Human is a whole new different species. Since the dawn of time, When it began to colonize and expand, its appetite and insatiable desire for more literary changed its landscape from good to bad. It's the most invasive species in the animal kingdom if you want to label it that way. But human is not an animal per se but the way it acts, and think and operates and behaves sometimes like or lesser than an animal. If you will place and rank all the most fiercest and top predator on the planet since prehistoric time. T Rex, Saber Toothed Cat, Lions, Hyenas, Wolfs, and Ants. The most voracious and most invasive of all is the apex predator ( humans ), overshadowing the ants . The ants on the other hand was the most successful and most efficient predator. They have beneficial effects in return. They barely changes nor affects the landscape. They are really natures natural clean up crew. Their existence are indeed detrimental to a healthy ecosystem. Humans are very different. It behaves and think different. Something motivates and drives human mind to the brink of endless consumption . Takes more than what he needed; takes more than what's required; takes more than what he gives back and its motivated by greed. As it seen in deforestation, overfishing and indiscriminate mining etc ..

With his quest for more, It also off set the balance of resources and wealth. Poverty is not a direct result of overpopulation. Which I know many would object or disagree. When God made man, He really thought and planned everything to meet everything we need. We noticed that the oceans are much larger than the land. This is not by chance. The super abundant source of creatures of all sort in the ocean are more than enough to meet and supply our basic need. But because of human desire for more off set that critical balance of supply and demand. So what's the difference between human in contrast to its animal counterpart ? Something in us that's driving and motivating us to do this.. what is it ? Why the American Indian ways and philosophy of only taking what you need and respecting nature considered obsolete and irrelevant ? Does change and progress really brings prosperity ? Or it leads to history repeating itself again ? For our ways are unsustainable if we continue to consume and conspire and not consider our ways and start to conserve and convey. There's one part of the globe that waste and other part of the globe starve to death. There's a great misappropriation of wealth and resources. Why its like this ? Is their something in our genetic make up that make us consume and waste like there's no end ?

To wrap this up, Pax its really about the issues and matters of the heart. We can trace it back from our great great grand parents. After they were evicted from the garden of Eden. Since we're direct descendants, we inherited their gene, that gene that causes us to be the most invasive and destructive species in the world. Its no surprise why we are having all these problem because its human nature to do all these things ...
" The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? " Jeremiah 17.9
But there's hope, we need to go back to the ONE that designed the human heart in the first place. So HE can reprogram its hard drive and thinking. Thanks for sharing this Pax.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Pax I'm back ... Its so much to cover here.. and so much to ponder ...
Pax

10 Years Ago

You've given me so much Neil my friend... So much to ponder and so much wisdom that needs answer. Yo.. read more
NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

I have mentioned Ants as one of the top or apex predator. These are no ordinary Ants. They are known.. read more
if we don't own what we possess then we are just probably leasing it..hehehe

"we often destroy what we don't understand". in connection to nature, i don't think that men do not understand the benefits we derived from nature. men are intelligent beings but are also greedy, selfish and insecure. Thus, we tend to feign ignorance of the consequences of our actions.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

LOL, despite being funny, you are so wise, wiser than me Gab my friend. Wits and humor are a great c.. read more
I didn't quite see it from NusQuam Esse's perspective either. But Nature is crue. So is God. And I guess that makes human beings cruel as well. If survival is only for the fittest, that can only make the world a better place.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Marie my friend, as always you are so wise. If survival is only for the fittest, t.. read more
This brought to mind some speculation that some scientists partake in, and it's the hypothesis that intelligent species (of the universe) are often unable to be found due to the destructive nature of them. Oddly, I'm quite hopeful for humanity's future, as war is becoming less and less of an actual option in regards to solving international issues. Interdependency is what makes us all cautious to pull the trigger, and it's almost poetic that what saves humanity is its own greed, for who would want to wage a war against their biggest customer?
Scientists are at the pinnacle of discovery and still going even higher. And, despite our invasive attitudes (of which is possessed by nearly every species in the whole spectrum of life, seen from the way plants choke each other for nutrients and help only members of the same species and the various conflicts between animals in nature), animals are even adapting to it, as seen in the way pigeons are nesting in cities and racoons scavenge through our trash for snacks.

If anything, I'd say we have one more frightening war as a species until we decide to banish large-scale warfare in general (small rebellions are a different story). All of our other efforts are to bettering the species and ensuring our species' lifespan is long. We're on the brink of colonizing space and developing safe, alternative sources to petroleum, and it's relatively improbable that we are to wipe ourselves out prior to 2100 (no, seriously, research into it).
I get into politics too often.
Nonetheless, well done, Pax, as always. Keep expressing yourself, you're very poignant at it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

I already know Tai, me working here in Saudi to where Oil is the primary source of big income, alrea.. read more
Tai Ryens

10 Years Ago

Oil is already not the only source of energy and we, as a species, have a great variety of choices p.. read more
we do this with people too...we destroy love because rather than sharing it with another, we try to own it and that other person...and in the process neutralize, dematerialize , and realize too late we have destroyed it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

ahh, yes, indeed my friend, now I am speechless from all of my friends awesome response(yours includ.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1072 Views
13 Reviews
Added on March 13, 2014
Last Updated on November 13, 2014

Author

Pax
Pax

CDO - the city of golden friendship, Philippines



About
Dear Visitor Hello there! I am Willyam Pax from the Philippines and now residing here in Saudi Arabia for work. I am not a writer but a sensitive aspiring artist who expresses himself into .. more..

Writing
Never in mine Never in mine

A Poem by Pax


Ocean Ocean

A Poem by Pax



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blue Blue

A Story by Archia


Drive Drive

A Chapter by Octob3r Star


Being Blind ~ Being Blind ~

A Poem by Pax