Follow Me

Follow Me

A Poem by Wendi A

Once I saw a bright red cardinal perched among the leafless branches against a clear, crisp, bright-blue sky. He looked down at me, tilted his head, and jumped to a lower branch. He looked at me again and then flew to the next tree down the street. I followed.

I was on my way downtown and knew this game couldn’t last for long, but I paused under the next tree. I tilted my head this way and that and spied the cardinal high up in the tree’s crown. Unable to see where he was looking, I patiently waited and quietly coaxed him down lower. Then I spotted his mate flying over from a tall pine or possibly from my neighbor’s snow-covered roof. She was small and fair, her blush feathers visible only in flight. She weightlessly alighted on the next tree down the street, and the red cardinal immediately flew to join her. I followed.

           

It was less than ten paces to the next tree, but by the time I arrived neither cardinal was in sight. On the sparsely tree-lined city street I would have seen them take flight. Somewhere amidst the tangled branches they playfully hid in plain sight. I watched and waited for movement. The sounds of city traffic faded to the background as I listened for a flutter of wings or rustle of branches. After some time, I walked on.

© 2017 Wendi A


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on February 11, 2017
Last Updated on February 11, 2017
Tags: nature, birds, connections

Author

Wendi A
Wendi A

Canada



About
I am a creative writer aiming to convey the beauty, humor, and meaning of intercultural connections — across nations, lifestyles, generations, and species. more..

Writing
Friend Friend

A Poem by Wendi A


The Tide The Tide

A Poem by Wendi A