The City of the Mole People

The City of the Mole People

A Story by Franklin...
"

A tale of subterranean adventure.

"

    "Are we alone?" A question so often asked. Are we indeed the only sentient beings out there, or down here on earth? The answer is "no".

    I know this for when I was under a building, working slavishly to insulate the foundation, I met the most extraordinary people. The Mole People. One might find the name ominous, conjuring up horrible images of some deformed monsters eager to rend and consume any intruders, but truely they are a honorable people. Even as I toiled, they spoke to me and shared their knowledge of the underground. Indeed, if not for their kindness, I would not likely be here today.

    For on that day I met another of the subterranean realm's inhabitants.

    Even as one of the Mole People finished relating to me an amusing anecdote involving a human princess attempting to kiss one of their people in hopes of turning him into a prince, the ground beside me exploded in an eruption of dirt and rock. Rearing forth from that hole came the most terrible creature I have ever laid eyes on. Teeth gleamed in it's monsterous maw, pale sightless eyes glared out from it's rounded head, and it's flesh was a sickening shade of puce. The enourmous worm towered high, then struck down with a wickedly sharp movement to snap up one of The Mole People.

    I rolled away in panic, pursued by the piteous shrieks of the worm's unfortunate victim. Without hesitation, the remaining Mole People beckoned me toward a tiny tunnel in one corner; I knew it was far too small for me, but I rushed towards it in terror. To my great surprise, I found that I was able to slither through it somehow, and I followed my friends deep into the earth, down to their home in the caverns below.

    After minutes of crawling, we came to a rocky shelf from which I received my first glimpse of the city of the Mole People. Off into the distance stretched small buildings of earth and clay, their rich brown colors illuminated by the fitful lights of small glowing orbs hanging from the cavern's ceiling or strew about the orderly streets on posts carved from roots. At the extent of my vision loomed a mountainous palace of sharp, symetrical design.

    I turned to my guides in askance, boggled by the sight before me, and still puzzled by my escape through the tunnel. "Magic" was all that they would say of the latter, but as they hurried me down city ways that should have been too small for me, they told me of the ancient history of Moleania, the city into which I'd been led. They told me of the great Worm Wars that had nearly destroyed the place so long ago, and how the palace I had seen had warded off the final assault and saved their people from certain consumption.

    By this time we reached that very palace and were ushered through the solid gates and through many winding corridors until at last we reached the throne room of The King Of The Mole People. He was a wizened little thing, with a tiny gold crown perched precareously atop his thinning white hair. But his eyes studied me intently, the brown orbs still possessed of the glow of youth. He welcomed me warmly, but then, with a tone brooking no arguement, bade me hold secret all that I had seen amongst his people. I readily agreed, as I held nothing but friendship for the diminuative race.

    He dismissed me then, and I was escorted away to a spring within the palace where I could wash the dirt from my face in the cold, crystalline waters. Refreshed, and with the fear of the great worm diminishing with time, I inquired about my return to the surface. The face of the Moleman to whom I spoke quickly became uneasy. I was hurried before the King once more, and my inquiry was repeated for his benefit. He spoke slowly and firmly, those bright eyes boring into mine. "There is one reason above all others why you will not leave this place." he said, then paused, eyes seeming to brighten even more. "And that is because the only thing Great Worms find more delicious than Mole People...are humans!"

    And to my horror he sprang to his feet, and his flesh was ripped asunder as a worm tore free from within the facade. It bore down on me with frightening speed, mouth open wide, fangs hungrily reaching out to pierce and rend my puny body. (I would like to say that I stood bravely, ready to face my death valiantly. But I cannot while keeping this account purely accurate.) I screamed like a little girl on a rollercoaster heading through a house of horrors.

    The fangs stopped their advance. Suddenly, the worm retreated, and began to writhe in agony. The Mole People behind me leaped forward with courage beyond the size of their bodies, swinging weapons and chanting strange words. The spears stabbed, and strange lights pulsed within the worm. After several frenzied minutes of hacking, slashing, and spattering, the worm at last lay still.

    Many hours later, after having been sequestered in a small room within the palace, I was brought before an assembly of the Mole People. They thanked me for revealing and helping to defeat the worm, and then explained to me their theories regarding how the worm had come to impersonate their leader all those years ago at the end of the Worm Wars. They offered me a permanent place of prominance within their city, but I politely declined, and asked if I might not go home. After many muttered conversations, they finally agreed that I might. They even offered that I might tell others, just so long as I did not reveal the specifics of how to reach them(as I have not).

    And then I was lead out of the city, along streets lined with cheering Mole People. To the tunnel down which I'd come what seemed like ages ago. Up the tunnel we went, and then, under the building where this had all started, we said our farewells. I watched with mixed emotions as they truddled off back down the tunnel; I knew I was going to miss those little guys, but I was also glad to once again be above the ground, where the grass grows green and the cool breeze tickles your face with tender caresses.

    So ends my tale of grand adventure in the earthen realm of the Mole People and the worms.

© 2010 Franklin...


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow... as it stands now, I could see this as a cartoon or maybe in a collection of short stories for older children. There is such a whimsical feel to it.

I love the tidbits of humor: the princess trying to kiss a moleman to see if he'd turn into a prince.. the hero not taking his, sure, death valiantly but instead "screaming like a little girl on a roller coaster..." Also, the King of the Mole people, actually being a worm, was unexpected but a pleasant surprise.

Notice I said, "as it stands now"?? Well, it COULD be for children, but with additions, it could be an epic adventure for...anyone. I mean making "Lord of the Rings" into a movie made Tolkien's elves sexy... who's to say Mole people can't be sexy too??A And the potential for adventure is already there.

Fantastic write, I'd love to see more :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
bbb
The title is what first attracted my attention. I somehow knew this would be something I'd really enjoy. This was pure exhilaration, fresh and fun as far as reads go, especially nowadays. I really love the magical, whimsical qualities of this story. Keep up the great work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow... as it stands now, I could see this as a cartoon or maybe in a collection of short stories for older children. There is such a whimsical feel to it.

I love the tidbits of humor: the princess trying to kiss a moleman to see if he'd turn into a prince.. the hero not taking his, sure, death valiantly but instead "screaming like a little girl on a roller coaster..." Also, the King of the Mole people, actually being a worm, was unexpected but a pleasant surprise.

Notice I said, "as it stands now"?? Well, it COULD be for children, but with additions, it could be an epic adventure for...anyone. I mean making "Lord of the Rings" into a movie made Tolkien's elves sexy... who's to say Mole people can't be sexy too??A And the potential for adventure is already there.

Fantastic write, I'd love to see more :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very visual and well written. Comedic in part, fantastic in others. All in all, a very well rounded story! Great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

508 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 25, 2010
Last Updated on July 25, 2010

Author

Franklin...
Franklin...

AK



About
Just a guy who dabbles with writing from time to time. Just thought I'd put this here for reference, and to possibly fend off any misunderstanding: I'm not in the habit of writing two word reviews. D.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..