If One Should Go

If One Should Go

A Story by worldendeavors
"

A girl has been feeling called to move to Africa for mission work. She uses to depths of nature to express questions that keep her from seeing her future.

"

“Come with me,” I say as I hold his hand, walking backwards pulling him with me. I lead him in hand down to the school lake. We find our usual bench and sit in silence for a few long moments. My left temple finds its place on your shoulder as we look out into the waters, surrounded by trees of all greens. I love the quietness we can sit in. To hear more than words can express. To hear the trees whispering amongst each other, wishing the world to better beings. The blue skies scatter with white shapes. I almost see a sailor in one. There’s stories within those clouds, ones that only the deepest wonderers can depict. I breathe the spring air deeper with each breath, letting the nature of the greens refresh my mind. God, you are so good. What have we done to deserve the beauty of our surroundings? The renewal that spring brings?


I saw a fish. One that jumped for what one may say, joy, in the distance.


“Africa,” you say in one breath. Nothing more, nothing less. Why? My mind was not sure. Only I had been. My head raises, letting my eyes gaze in question. “Go. Go now.” The trees sway behind your curls. Sparkles break through the cracks of the branches. The air has that one smell to it.


“I can’t just leave. I can’t just leave you, school.” You look at me as though you knew my answer. I know you did. But there’s more to yours. My toes deepen in the cold dirt, letting the nails darken with thought. I graze the broken wood beneath the bench with my fingers. I think I’m getting splinters.


“Let’s go.” The sun is getting brighter, the waters reflecting for the wonders beneath. Do fish see the sky? Do they think about the world that is outside of what they live in? My toes are cold. “I’ve prayed about it. More than you know. This may not be our home here, and neither will Africa. But home is with the Lord, and that I find with you. We can walk that road together. We will run. And we will carry friends on our backs that need a little lift. But not here.” The wind picks up, freely brushing my hair to the side without force. Does dust carry in distance that my eyes do not see?  We are drowning in dandelions. The smell of pollen expands my nose as it travels on its long expedition to fulfill creation’s destiny. Where does the renewed plants spring from? How does pollen from one flower, find its way all the way to a new land? But when it does, a new organism is created. One built from the last.  

© 2017 worldendeavors


Author's Note

worldendeavors
Any feedback or comments would be amazing! I am just getting back into writing, and this is my first piece in a long time, so excuse the grammar problems if any :) This piece actually reflects off of my own struggles as I am trying to find where I am called by God, and I feel as though Africa may be it. I would love to hear about what this meant for you as you were reading. So, I hope you enjoy :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on May 4, 2017
Last Updated on May 5, 2017
Tags: #nature, #missions, #africa, #love, #worry, #travel, #god, #christian

Author