Assassin's Surprise

Assassin's Surprise

A Story by Amanda Worthington

Soon
    The assassin grins from the shadows. He watches the cloaked princess walks quickly from shadow to shadow. But she's not as discreet she hopes she is. Quickly he follows behind her into the alley. His foot steps unheard and her footsteps a small pitter patter on the pavement. 
    He does not plan on killing her, though that is his job. Right now, he is just curious. What kind of business does the princess have in the middle class sector of the city? What kind of business is it that it must occur in the middle of the night, when she could be safer in her room and asleep? Who would do business with the princess in the middle of the night?
    She turns several corners and the assassin begins to wonder if the princess knows where she is going. He expects to see the princess a hundred yards in front of him when he glances around the corner, but instead he sees an empty street way and frowns in confusion.

    The princess's heart beats quickly in fear, but not panic. She knows she's being followed. He makes no sound though and she hasn't seen his face and hopes he can't see hers. But a dread settles in her that she isn't going to reach the palace before he gets bored of the chase she has lead him on. 
    If he had wanted to kill wouldn't he have attacked by now? Or is he just a drunk that has decided to follow her? Maybe he's only a thief and she can get away with just giving him her money and fleeing to the palace. Even now she can feel the strength of his gaze on her back and can feel the urge to panic. But that was not a feeling she was about to let herself give into.  
    She was about ninety yards or so in front of him and turns a corner before she starts running as silently as a cat. She turns the next corner before he turns on the street. Can he find her now? Probably. The princess turns another corner onto an empty street and starts heading up back to the palace, all five senses at their peak. 
    She turns onto a street she thinks is a through street, but it's not. It's a dead end. Without turning around she knew her pursuer was there and she was trapped. She would fight; because to go down without one would be pride demeaning. 
    She heard his chuckle as he approached "I applaud your ability to disappear from me."
    She could not hope to out match a grown man and said nothing in response.
    "It is not everyday I come across a victim that can sense my presence, and I find it a waste of talent to have to kill the ones that do." he said with mocking sorrow.
    "What are you in it for? Money? I can give you any amount of money for you to leave me alone." The princess announced in a steadier voice than she was feeling.
    "I have no doubt." the assassin nodded and stopped six feet from her "I could certainly ask for any sum of money. But where's the fun in that? You can now identify me, if only by my voice."
    "I could give you money and I could clear your name and allow you to leave the city and kingdom in peace." the princess answered. 
    The assassin nodded "That is true, and it is tempting to take your offer, for it is one that would actually be fulfilled."
    "then take it." the princess urged.
    The assassin laughed "My dear i almost wish to take you with me instead of leave you here to bleed out your life. How entertaining that would be."
     The princess measured her chances and decided that if she caught him by surprise right now, she could escape. If she made to run by him, his hand would shoot out with a knife and stab her in the stomach, she could then abruptly change directions and go between his legs and made a sprint for it back to her palace room. 
    That is what she did. And that is how she failed.
    The assassin shook his head and clicked his tongue mockingly "Had you stayed still and offered the deal once more I would have taken it. We would both be alive instead of one of us dead." he murmured and knelt down beside her.
    She wasn't feeling any pain in her side and in one swift motion tore out the knife that had been so rudely thrust into her and shoved it into the chest of the assassin.
    "Had you taken it sooner both of us would be alive and neither of us dead." the princess muttered before she felt and saw nothing. 

© 2014 Amanda Worthington


Author's Note

Amanda Worthington
Sometimes, when I start writing, I have no clue what the story is going to be. It evolves as it goes. That's what happened here. As always, constructive criticism and compliments are appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was interesting write, congrats

Posted 9 Years Ago


Amanda Worthington

9 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Nice work! :) i liked the plot!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Amanda Worthington

9 Years Ago

Thank you! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 28, 2014
Last Updated on April 28, 2014
Tags: assassin, murder, deals, not taken

Author

Amanda Worthington
Amanda Worthington

CA



About
Why do I write? Because I want my opinions and my thoughts to be known. I want to make other people feel what I do. I love it when it's just me and my characters, late at night with no one to interrup.. more..

Writing