His Mystery Girl

His Mystery Girl

A Story by Amanda Worthington

    A farm boy, working out int the fields, readying the field for the summer crops. A simple wooden fence separated his twenty six acres from the next twenty six acres. A single shade tree stood alone on the other side of the fence.
    As his work drew him closer to the fence, he spotted a girl underneath the shade tree. She had her head on her knees, her arms over her head. As far as he could see, she had brown hair and wore a simple white dress. He didn't think much about her and continued with his work.
    She was there again the next day. The boy couldn't help but wonder what it was that brought her to sit out here. He wondered her name. But his work was far from done and the sun beat down relentlessly. This time, he thought more about her.
    He began noticing her, sitting by herself everyday. Sometimes her head lay on her knees and her arms over her knees, sometimes she sat normally. He thought, maybe he should talk to her. Maybe he should find out if she wanted some iced tea. He didn't. He didn't approach her. He left her to her own thoughts, never wanting to intrude.  
    He got used to her presence, always a little ways away. The one day she wasn't there he spent wondering about her. Was she ok? Had something happened? If something had happened to his mystery girl.... When she came back he would talk to her. 
    He came back the next day, expecting to see her sitting there like she had every day. He saw her. She was not sitting. She was hanging. 
    He did not run, for he could not save her now. He leaned against the fence and his head in his hands. He had been given the chance to help her. He had considered his work more important than saving the girl that sat alone. Up close, he could see the bruises up and down her arms and shoulders. 
    He had not seen the sadness that she carried with her. He had not seen the pain she contained. He had not talked to her. 
    Maybe, if he had just talked to her, given her a friend in her cruel world, just maybe, she wouldn't be dead. 
  

© 2015 Amanda Worthington


Author's Note

Amanda Worthington
Suggestions? Comments? Compliments? Let me know. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this was simply amazing. I had a feeling in the beginning that there was something with the girl, but I was still really surprised. It also tugged a lot of emotion, which I also respect. Good job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is amazing story i really enjoyed reading this story keep up the great work you should turn this into a book

Posted 9 Years Ago


Great writing! Well done you put a lot of passion into thjs

Posted 9 Years Ago


I can see a great story making in this one, you can easily play with the role of the girl and tell her side of story and you have one good thriller:)

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 23, 2014
Last Updated on July 17, 2015
Tags: suicide, loneliness, story, life, sadness, sad, pain

Author

Amanda Worthington
Amanda Worthington

CA



About
Why do I write? Because I want my opinions and my thoughts to be known. I want to make other people feel what I do. I love it when it's just me and my characters, late at night with no one to interrup.. more..

Writing