A Measure of True Worth

A Measure of True Worth

A Poem by Sheila Kline
"

What qualities determine the true worth of a man? Such worth is often measured by the value of treasures won, and not worth of a spirit as judged by God.

"

Photobucket


 photo d3816721-8205-4fa7-a363-3716f6f8bcb2_zps74148dc9.jpg

 


 


 


 



 


 



 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2013 Sheila Kline


Author's Note

Sheila Kline
A Measure of True Worth


As one sits and contemplates the value of true worth,
Is success noted by seeds sown to increase girth?
Choicest bouquets decorated with colors pure and fair,
Or is focus fixated on savoring scent of nectar's rare?

As one studies words of greatest masters of times old,
What more is reaped if be the volumes bound in gold?
Is understanding gained of messages meant to teach,
Or are eyes diverted by loftiest of goals within reach?

As one seeks peace to soothe the temple of the soul,
What is sought to warm flames of a turned cold goal.
Are the fires fueled by kind deeds shown to fellow man,
Or are winds of neglect allowed to spoil a perfect plan?

As one travels roads paved well with success and gain,
What tokens are plucked as treasures to long remain?
Are the best placed in deep pockets of prosperity's coat,
Or is safe harbor denied by one hiding within his moat?

As one reaps wealth from fermenting of choicest wine,
What does one savor from tastiest of fruit from the vine?
Is a deserved share grabbed from plates of healthy food,
Or are delights selfishly devoured taking only the good?

As one dresses in garments tailored of threads fine,
Does such finery flaunt a statement of "This Is Mine"?
Is experience shared freely when gained from success,
Or is it exploited causing others undeserved distress?

It is sad that the wealthy often shun poorest of poor.
They remain forgotten as the rich hunger for more.
It is fortunate when ones rich do self-endowment shun,
And enjoy happiness as wealth of spirit is humbly won.

Rich and proud often regarded as those of regal birth,
And the lowest of poor may seem to have little worth.
Yet as weighed on scales of life, tilting side to side,
Shall one be deemed more worthy by Heaven's Bride?

When a man or woman stands and faces death's door,
Who is regarded as richest when handed a final score?
Shall it be one rich by man's methods of judging best,
Or poorest of souls regarded as outcasts from the rest?

Each spirit is granted a choice of true worth to measure,
In the end shall wealth be valued as choicest of treasure?
What determines the true worth of each woman and man,
Trophies gathered on Earth, or fulfillment of God's plan?

Sheila Bowyer Kline

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very well done..WHAT DOES IT PROFIT A MAN TO GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD BUT LOSE HIS OWN SOUL..I know of one young man from a well to do family who has given back the gold for a life of being a minister of the gospel on the dark streets of an inner city..God be with all of those who love Him and also those who need Him..lol and God bless..Valentine

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Shelia,
This is a very powerful statement of True worth and its sad that many who struggle with this come to the wrong conclusion. I will use a quote from It's a Wonderful Life. " To my brother George the richest man I Know "
This is a beautifully put question we should all ask of ourselves often.
Hugs
Debby

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well done..WHAT DOES IT PROFIT A MAN TO GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD BUT LOSE HIS OWN SOUL..I know of one young man from a well to do family who has given back the gold for a life of being a minister of the gospel on the dark streets of an inner city..God be with all of those who love Him and also those who need Him..lol and God bless..Valentine

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

true worth indeed is a man's integrity and honesty, zest for life, selflessness and so often these attributed go unnoticed because often such persons avoid limelight and stay in their world of happiness and self content....and continue helping others selflessly. They are so busy helping and carving a beautiful world that they are missed

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Sheila...this is absolutely my favorite of yours by far!

So well thought out and expressed...it's going right into my library!

Bea

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant writing. One of your best. Thought provoking, passionate message. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a superb poem! Your words are not only beautifully put, they express deep and considered thoughts. This writing is one of the finest multi-faceted posts I've ever read in Writers Cafe.

You've put the dot on the ' i ', squestioned and balanced what WORTH is or truly should be. It's not what a person has, but, how a person is from inside out; giving and sharing, not taking, but, reaching for the seemingly spiritual unattainable.

These days feathering nests by any means has taken over from good old-fashioned principles and adherence to the commandements. ' As one travels roads paved well with success and gain, / What tokens are plucked as treasures to ever remain? / Is the best placed in deep pockets of prosperity's coat, / Or is safe harbor denied by one hiding within his moat? '

'What determines the true worth of each woman and man, / Trophies gathered on Earth, or fulfillment of God's plan?' ... Your last two lines say it all.

A mutual friend asked me to read this poem, and, it was a real privilege, Sheila



Posted 15 Years Ago


As I read this, your poem reminded me of how I see worth is recognized: We're all born naked on this planet and we all leave the same way. I love how your poem speaks of the wealthy or rich because that also brought me to thinking that those who are wealthy or rich in character from doing good during our lives are many times better off than those who are wealthy as far as money goes, but are poor in character. Your poem just sent my mind running, recollecting thoughts and beliefs of how we are ultimately judged in the end. Beautiful writing! Thank you for sharing it with me! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As the bible says, "A rich man has as much of a chance of getting into Heaven as a camel does through the eye of a needle. What has a rich man gained if gains all the wealth in the world? What would he have left to hope for?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What determines the true worth of each woman and man,

Trophies gathered on Earth, or fulfillment of God's plan?

Very good question indeed. Treasures gathered on Earth have no meaning in God's plan of salvation. As you can have it all on Earth while you are alive but you can't take it with you.
Very well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Sheila,

This is one of your deepest and most philosophical pieces, and I just loved it. As others have mentioned, worth is a noble and abstract concept, but I do think there is such a thing. It is not so much entirely contained in one's actions, because as other's have mentioned, the vagaries of fate have a lot to do with one's actions. But I do not think it is potential either, because everyone (within limits) has equal potential. It has more to do, in my view, with one's intentions, i.e., the intention to do good, the intention to become better, the intention to learn more, the intention to be more understanding. I think that is at the heart of it.

Very best regards and congratulations on an inspiring poem.

Rick

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
20 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 12, 2009
Last Updated on May 29, 2013
Tags: Worth, Values, Quality, Honor, Life

Author

Sheila Kline
Sheila Kline

WV



About
I am a Poetess of Multiplicity who also enjoys genealogy research, current events, folk ballads and Irish/Celtic music, and I am a grand lover of dogs! I strive to live by the philosophy o.. more..

Writing