On The Other Side of Everything!

On The Other Side of Everything!

A Poem by Sheila Kline
"

One may accept lies, pretend all is well, when in reality they are just living on the other side of everything!

"

UsedpoemOtherSideOfEverthing

png On The Other Side of Everything! photo OnTheOtherSideofEverything_zps6ef3b54b.png


 


 


 

 

 

 

 

© 2014 Sheila Kline


Author's Note

Sheila Kline
On The Other Side of Everything!

Golden rays of sunlight flowed over me as I caressed covers on our bed.
I was awake, but felt lonely, abandoned, panged by feelings of despair.
Words of love once spoken are hushed, echoing now loud cries of dread.
It was hard to accept reality of sentiments expressing, "I no longer care"!

I gently stroked your pillow, and clutched it tightly to my aching breast.
Blankets were untouched where your body once rested close to mine.
"Be still my beating heart", I screamed as my thoughts refused to rest.
Trying to convince myself I wasn’t insane, I uttered, "I’m fine, I’m fine"!

The sunshine played a game of hide and seek so I could not see light.
Walls in the room were drab and curtains blew haphazardly in the wind.
Memories of you pierced my consciousness, making day seem as night.
I kept repeating, "You were here, you were here, why did our love end?"

Trying to ignore the truth only allowed false hopes to rest deeper inside.
I was in a state of denial as I'd believed you'd recall the love we'd shared,
Times of laughter, games we played, hugs, kisses, deep of needs satisfied.
Yet, a subtle voice kept whispering to my heart, "Grasp not false pride!"

I clawed my way out of my well of sorrow as I ventured a closer look.
You had been distant as you had walked a visible step away from me.
My eyes were blinded, my ears closed to chapters in romance's book.
To move on, to feel life’s joy, I accepted the truth of all I had to see.

I must recall your lame excuses, nights away from home, smell of her,
Consider how I pretended to believe in you even when I heard your lies.
I’d been dwelling in a house of denial, and must now heed truth's whisper,
Be delivered of deceptive lies, and accept happiness without compromise.

I HAD TO STOP LIVING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF
EVERYTHING!
My letter reads,
"I no longer need you"!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a stunning poem.
The build up to the end was great.
I especially enjoyed two things from this poem.
One was the repetition in the quotation marks. It added to the atmosphere of the poem. It really enhanced the experience in a majorly positive way.
The second thing was the second last stanza. The lines there were just the high point of poetic beauty.
"my ears closed to chapters in romance's book" - stunning line.
& like I said earlier, the ending was just superb.
Great piece.

Yours truly,
cloud6

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

^.^ Okay...that was...AWESOME!! The imagery and the way the story is told is gorgeous! So sad and despairingly lonely in the beginning, but strong and steady at the end... If only endings were as easily handled as this one!!

The only thing that I really feel like I need to point out is the punctuation. Your ending periods or commas should stay contained within the quotations, not outside.

Example:
"Your suspicions of another woman were true".

Should be:
"Your suspicions of another woman were true."

Not a big biggie, but an important one! :) But again...really....beautiful write. I look forward to reading more from you!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Consider how I pretended to believe in you even when I heard your lies.

A cheating heart of lies and the truth in denial~ indeed cause the heart to ache
living on 'the other side of everything ' an aptly title~Fran Marie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is good, such pain and sorrow, not sure of what to do. I like it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I know how this feels we can never escape our self can we......hummmmm no.
Great write as always sheila thanks for sharing.

Kelley

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yup. Just call her Cleopatra honey, cause she's the queen of de(Nile). lol A great read Sheila! And I love that picture, I'd like to play with her! ( Well, I saw she had a fiddle. ) lol

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Thiw is very strong and moving in its intense sadness. It must be so true for so, so many. I think the third and the sixth verses are the best. The drabness and the curtains as a focus seem to reinforce the absence of another. And the 'smell of her' in the last verse shows how it is. The end of love is tremendously sad and your poem captures the feeling in full.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It just leaves me breathless, Sheila, to observe how much you have grown as a writer AND as a Woman, in only the two brief months I have known you. This is a startling bit of insight, a painful truth so many women are never able to face; perhaps this poem will force others in untenable situations to confront the truths that lay before their very eyes. Masterful job, my friend!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

' Trying to ignore the truth only allowed false hope to rest deeper inside. / I was in a state of denial as I'd believed you'd recall the love we'd shared. ' ~~~ hope isn't a bandage, or, rarely can be.. those two lines say a terrific amount - full of insight.

As a piece of writing this has it all: meter, metaphors, literary form.. it's grand, and, to tie the ribbon around the whole gift - at the heart of the technical stuff, you have to emotions almost too vividly but compassionately expressed.

What a wonderful poem to write for a friend, and, what a wonderful friend you are.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow! This hit my core. I am nearly in tears. Amazing writing! I am speechless. This is definitely going in my favorites. Excellent rhythm, tone and pure, raw emotion! Just "WOW"!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Nice. An easy way out of sorrow, decide the man you loved was deceiving you! Loved it!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

356 Views
20 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 9, 2009
Last Updated on August 23, 2014
Tags: Lies, Broken Heart, Moving On, Truth, Love, Betrayal
Previous Versions

Author

Sheila Kline
Sheila Kline

WV



About
I am a Poetess of Multiplicity who also enjoys genealogy research, current events, folk ballads and Irish/Celtic music, and I am a grand lover of dogs! I strive to live by the philosophy o.. more..

Writing