Nightmares of Uncertainty-Co-Write with Rick Puetter

Nightmares of Uncertainty-Co-Write with Rick Puetter

A Poem by Sheila Kline
"

Co-Write with Rick Puetter based on Edgar Allen Poe's poem, "Dreams of The Unseen"

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sunrise over the golf course of Oulton Hall Hotel.  © Copyright Steve F. and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0) license.  The original image can be found at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2163718.

 

 

Dear Readers

This poem was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's poem “Dream Within a Dream”.  According to Wikipedia, the poem “reflects Poe's feelings about his life at the time, dramatizing his confusion in watching the important things in his life slip away.  Realizing he cannot hold onto even one grain of sand leads to his final question that all things are a dream.”  This is a natural stepping off point for remembering the uncertainties we all feel in life and asking the question of how can we rise above the paralysis of uncertainty and fear.

 

This poem is a co-write of

 

            Sheila Kline (http://www.writerscafe.org/wvhillbilly47) &

            Rick Puetter (http://www.writerscafe.org/rpuetter)

 

 

Nightmares of Uncertainty

 

     “…Is all that we see or seem / But a dream within a dream?...”

--- Edgar Allen Poe

 

Life seems a dream within a dream--

A puzzle past all mortal schemes.

Man's tears flow free 'neath troubled brow,

For we know not Life's whys or hows.

As judgment fails in dark of night,

We chart bold plans, but lack insight.

Will knowledge come--keep dark at bay?

Or blindness rule and hold full sway!

 

Life's truth is found within our dreams,

But paths get lost--in pain, soul screams.

As Man's mind seeks Life's distant shores,

The clock ticks on--soul cries for more.

Yet sand in glass drains lower still--

And spirit dies--such bitter pill!

The reason for nightmares is clear--

We lack the strength to conquer fear!

 

The Future? Well, this, too, a dream!

What shores we'll reach remains unseen.

Will Man's hopes fall in mockery?

Man's spirit left in poverty?

As cross roads up ahead large loom,

We're so uncertain, we're consumed.

Through dreams mind slides on scales like snake

Oh sanity, don't fail, don't shake!

 

And as mind weaves through shadows deep,

I pray these nightmares l'll not keep.

Let not this suffering be in vain,

Nor crippling doubt in mind remain.

So 'bout myself I'll wrap strong shield

And force of will as bright sword wield!

I'll march with strength through all my doubts,

And through these dreams this bold cry shout:

 

I am but Man, yet here I stand

Now fears be gone!  I vow, command!

 

 

 

©2011 by Sheila Kline and Richard Puetter, each and individually

All rights reserved

© 2013 Sheila Kline


Author's Note

Sheila Kline
I wish to thank Rick Puetter for his poetic brilliance in crafting this adaptation of Edgar Allen Poe's poem with me! May we all rise above our "Nightmares of Uncertainty"!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

So beautiful. Vivid, lyrical, and gracious writing. Nice, friend.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sheila Kline

11 Years Ago

It is so nice to receive your review Jetta! On behalf of Rick and myself, we thank you for your insi.. read more
Copied review from Rick's page:

Firstly the collaboration is superb, no joins, no hiccups to be found and believe me, I've searched; it's clear you understand each other's methodology when creating beautiful phrases, whether same or different.

You both know I prefer to write in free form but also, that I admire those who represent the more traditional way of poetising mainly, guess, because i know how much work and thought goes into literary style. Anyone who knows Poe's work appreciates his play with form whilst conforming to laid down rules - and in both his poem and yours the structure is as true to a bird in flight except when it rests on a bough - so there .. my thoughts.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Being a big fan of Poe, I adore this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Through dreams mind slides on scales like snake
Oh sanity, don't fail, don't shake!"
A amazing story. The story open up many new questions. I like the flow and the strength of this poem. Nightmare can become true life sometime. A outstanding poem. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the tone that this poem reflects. There is hope within the uncertainty - as we learn to adapt. The flow and words moved nicely within my mind - or perhaps my dream.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm eating of the cake and commenting on it's taste, completely unaware of the baker's recipe or baking methods. I've always loved Poe-- especially his poetry. Your poem, it seems to me, carries much the same message as his, but not quite as clearly or as efficiently. To fall short of his genius is no disgrace, of course. Still, a fine effort.



Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Truly Amazing !

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The subconscious mind creates a scene of vast polar expression. To delve into the depths of dreams found in the subconscious, and seek out meaning is a quest for fool's gold, I think. Don't take this as a metaphor for this piece, because I found this work more than captivating. However, the rationalization of dreams is left up in the air for me. Sure some dreams can be found to be contrived or rather revealed by emotions found in the conscious mind, but others are more out there in sense of reality, or at least that is my take on my own dreams. I don't think our conscious mind can will our subconscious to do anything, but rather feel it is the other way around, and our subconscious drives our conscious mind in direction. I wish I could conquer the doubts, and find a way to wield the sword and use the shield to block unwanted thoughts, and in full sense project my dreams for my will. However, if this was so, I think people would be sleeping longer, because life would be lived better in our dreams. The conscious mind has its dreams as well, but rather they are seen in depth of thought, and are projected as wishes, and aspirations directed at a betterment of life lived. So the saying, "One can dream, can't they," conceives the notion of the conscious mind directing thoughts. I don't know? This is a very thought provoking piece to say the least, and it was much enjoyed!

Great Collaboration Of Work You Two!
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

960 Views
22 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on February 8, 2013
Tags: Dreams, Uncertainty, Fear, Survival, Hope

Author

Sheila Kline
Sheila Kline

WV



About
I am a Poetess of Multiplicity who also enjoys genealogy research, current events, folk ballads and Irish/Celtic music, and I am a grand lover of dogs! I strive to live by the philosophy o.. more..

Writing