Child of Vietnam (Wedding Party)

Child of Vietnam (Wedding Party)

A Story by Willard Wells
"

Child in '70's Vietnam

"

I was only 9 years old and I lived in North Vietnam where I was born. My family is Chinese, but work was in Vietnam so my father had moved us there long before I was born. I had 5 brothers and I was next to the youngest, but my younger brother got sick while we were hiding in the mountains to avoid the bombings. He did not go home with us and mother was very sad for a long time.


There was really nothing to do for entertainment. My day was made up of sleeping late in the morning and school in the afternoon. We only had about three classes, which was giving us a very basic education. I had many friends in school and a good number of relatives.


My older cousin and I played together often, just spending time together. Over loudspeakers songs of the people were played to encourage hard work and loyalty to the Communist Party. Everything in the country still ran as it had under Uncle Ho. You never speak bad of Uncle Ho or you might not make it until tomorrow.


Since we had so little entertainment we found our own. She and I would go up during the day and sometimes at night to listen to the workers in the factory sing praise of life, progress and Uncle Ho. Now I was very small, but a crime was not a factor and so even with me being so young, my cousin and I were always off on an adventure.


A big event where I lived was a marriage. It was a beautiful event with the bride and groom dressed in wedding clothes. A long high-necked dress for the women and the man in his best white dress shirt. I know this because when my cousin and I were out one night we saw a wedding party walking down the street. It was so beautiful and exciting that she and I joined at the end of the procession.


I expect our age helped as we were welcomed to the celebration. Eating candy, cookies and sticky rice, special treats for the wedding party, but a special treat for a poor little girl and her cousin. Both welcomed by the bride and groom.


My cousin and I did this twice that I recall and the songs still resonate within my head of a beautiful moment in time and a break from the bombs dropped almost daily from the sky.

© 2016 Willard Wells


Author's Note

Willard Wells
Stories told to me by my muse and love. This story mostly made me smile, but many bring pain to my heart of the suffering she lived and saw. But she has a very positive view to the time and I hope to share more.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wonderful story of normality in a child's life within the chaos of man and war. Even in the hardest of days a child will always seek adventure. A touching slice of what life must have been like, and still is for many today.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

thank you so much for reading. I want to do more on this, but the next one I am working on is just n.. read more
A child can always make the most of things, it seems, and find a few diamonds in the dirt. Good for you for giving voice to the child whose voice is seldom heard.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willard Wells

8 Years Ago

I hope to do more. I have done some poems based on her experiences and the stories are my next endea.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

919 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 31, 2015
Last Updated on January 15, 2016

Author

Willard Wells
Willard Wells

Sacramento, CA



About
Photography and words are my activities to try and keep an over active mind under control. For the most part my pieces have been short since that's how I'm wired. I would like to write something longe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5