Her Verdict (Part 4)

Her Verdict (Part 4)

A Story by x0void
"

What if you were just "the other girl" in his story? and to leave means to make him happy? Would you fight destiny? or would you just let him be free?

"

The week passed with so much dullness. It was like someone pulled out every color in my life, and now everything’s black and white.

            All week long I was with Lauren at school. Cole tried talking to me a couple of times but every time he did I only walked away from him, not uttering a single word.

            The toughest part of our separation was walking to school alone. Every morning on school days for the past four years, I wake up excited to seeing Cole and walking with him to school. That was usually the highlight of my day. There were times when I shed a tear on my way to school.

            It was Wednesday night when I received a text from Cole. Lauren warned me not to read it because according to her, it would only put salt on the wounds. But when I couldn’t find myself to sleep, I finally decided to read the message.

“Xyriel, I can’t do this. The last three days were the worst days of my life. I don’t know if you actually believe me but for all its worth, I really miss you. I don’t like the feeling of not being with you, it feels wrong. I am really, really sorry for what I did. It was all just a mistake. I don’t know what got into me. I know I hurt you and believe me I’m punishing myself for it. That’s why I decided to stay out of your way for the next two days. That will be the worst punishment I can give to myself. No matter what happens, Xyriel, I will always love you.”

            I stared at my cell phone a minute longer. I kept on re-reading the last sentence he wrote. Reading his message kind of a melted a little bit of the ice inside of me because I also felt what he felt- at least according to what the message said.


            And now there comes Saturday. As planned, Lauren asked my mom out for shopping at night till ten, though I think Lauren told her about the plan.

            I put on a pair of jeans and an oversized black shirt printed with “It’s all Black and White”. Yeah, I’m feeling kind of  
melodramatic lately.

            I was sitting in the porch when Cole arrived at seven in the evening. I was so nervous of what could happen tonight. But at the same time, I still felt angry at him, though I said to myself to keep it low tonight. He didn’t greet me when he stepped on the porch; he just leaned at the railing and looked at the house.

            “It’s been a long a time since I’ve been here,” he finally said, breaking the silence.

            “Let’s just get this over with. What do you want to talk about?” I pressed on.

            He stood straight. “I’m sorry, Xyriel. I really am. I know what I did-“

            “Save it Cole,” I interrupted. “I don’t need any more explanations; you already told me what happened. You made the first move, I get it.”

            “Xyriel, I know I made a huge mistake. And believe me, I’ll do anything to take it back. But I can’t Xyriel, I can’t change the past, but I can change the future. And the only future I want is a future with you,” his voice was tense. “I know this sounds cheesy, but I wanted to really show you how I feel. I don’t know what will happen a few minutes from now, I might be wrapping you in my arms or walking out from this porch. I don’t know, Xyriel, and it’s scary. All I am sure of is that I want you.”

            I didn’t say a single word. He sounded so sincere. For the four years that I’ve known him, I could already tell if he’s telling the truth or if he’s lying. There is this certain glow in his eyes when he’s really sincere- and I could see that glow in front of me now.

            “Xyriel, I want you back in my life. Please. I won’t let the one stupid mistake to ruin something we’ve built for four years,” he continued. “I won’t let one night destroy four happy years.”

            I finally found the courage to speak up, “I don’t want that too. But you did it once Cole, how could I trust you never doing that again?”

            “You won’t. That’s why I’m asking for your trust right now,” he replied. “I know I’m asking for too much, blind trust is  
really hard to give. But Xyriel, please, all I ask for is a second chance.”

            I breathed in heavily. My mind says no but then my silly little heart says yes. He got hold of my gaze and then I knew- I was a goner.

            “Just promise you’ll never do that again, okay?” I mumbled. "Because I'm no t really good with this whole broken heart thing."

            “I promise,” he smiled. “It hurts me watching you get hurt Xyriel, more than you think. This time I will keep my word. I will gain back your trust, if its the last thing I do."

             I smiled and felt a trickle of tear stumble at the curve of my cheek. I made my choice and I'll stand by it. I'll prove to destiny that we can get over this hurdle and come out stronger.

             He stepped towards me and reached out a hand to my cheek. At first, his touch felt stiff and unsure but later on it felt warm and familiar. He moved a little closer and wrapped me in his arms. The familiar scent of cool mint stung my heart that I couldn't handle the tears threatening to fall. So I cried.

"I miss you!" I exclaimed. Every part of me that longed for him screamed out-- those parts that I did my best to hide.

           His hold grew tighter around me. I didn't want him to leave. I wanted him to just stay here with me. I'm afraid that once he walks away, destiny will be putting on another level to his game, and then once again, someone will hurt and someone will get hurt.

             "I miss you more," he gently whispered in my ear.


              "So you got back with him..." Lauren said without any detectable emotion in her voice.

               I nodded.

             "Are you happy?" she stared at her strawberry-mint shake. I decided I'd tell her personally about my decision so I didn't call her for any updates last night.

           "Yes," I answered, keeping my voice as straightforward and raw as possible. The last thing I want is having my bestfriend try to break off my relationship with Cold.

            "Then I'm happy too," she smiled, finally showing some emotions. "But let me warn you, if he dares do it again, I'll seriously consider tracking him down and making his life miserable forever."

              I stifled a laugh.

            "I'll tell him that. He'll be coming to our house later for dinner." Actually, my mom was the one who invited him over. I told him he didn't have to do it- since mom would just make things uncomfortable for him- but he decided he'd come.

              "Ooooh," Lauren giggled. "Tonight's gonna be nasty," she reached out to touch my hand. "Don't worry I'll visit the hospital with you tomorrow..."

             I rolled my eyes. "Tonight's gonna be great."

           "Sure, sure," she teased. "Try telling that after the dinner."

             Lauren took me shopping after the coffee shop. She said it was "in celebration of things going back to normal". We got carried away with the sale at the mall that I didn't realize it was almost 7 before an old lady asked us for the time. And to make things worse, traffic got me cornered for another 30 minutes. I arrived home at 8:30- an hour late.

            "Sorry I'm late," I muttered. "Got caught up with Lauren and well, heavy traffic." I placed my coat in the rack and took off my boots. And then, I turned around and saw that I was too late- really too late.

            Cole was sitting on the sofa while mom was sitting on the couch. His head was bowed down while mom had her see-you're-guilty face on.

           "Oh, hi dear. We haven't eaten yet 'cause we wanted to wait for you," my mom turned up to look at me as if everything was just normal.

           "Oh..." was all I managed to say. Cole looked up to me and presented his usual smile- but he didn't fool me.

          "Uhm, Cole, can I talk to you for a second? And, uhm, mom, please prepare dinner, I'm starving." I was finally able to say.

           "Sure dear," mom stood up and headed for the kitchen.

           Cole didn't move an inch so I raised a brow to him. He smiled once again but showed the slightest hint of tension. He finally stood up and headed towards me. I lead him to the porch.

          "Why didn't you text me? I've been trying to reach you while I was stuck in traffic. I could've called mom and tell her to back off." I whisper-shouted.

           "You didn't have to," he grinned as his hands found it's way to mine's. "I knew this was going to be tough, but I'm doing this for you. It's all worth it."

            "Stop it. I know how mom can be scary, okay?" I sighed. " I'm sorry."

           "For what?" he asked.

            "For being late and making you spend an hour and thirty-minutes with 'my mom'" I emphasized my intentions in the last two words.

          "Don't be. At least, I've spent quality time with your mom," he said meaning every single word in the sentence.

          "'Quality'. Really?" I shrugged. "Oh no, you're still in trauma."

         He laughed.

          The rest of the dinner went better than I expected. Mom backed off every time I shot her my glare, so Cole didn't have to answer her prying questions. Cole left after dinner so I immediately went to my room to save myself from mom's questions.

          Theory proven: mom's can get really scary.

          The week after the stitch-up (Yeah, that's how Lauren calls my reconciliation with Cole), went by as normal as it was before. Everything seemed right, seemed in place.


         "Xyrieeeeeellllll!" someone yelled. I didn't have to turn around to know who it was.

          "Wa ar you oing here ho late?" I mumbled with the mint toothpaste in my mouth. I gave Lauren a spare key to our house just in case I needed her to fetch something for me. Yes, she just got her driver’s license and her own car to pair with.  I hated her for that.

           "I have great news!!!" she was in the doorway jumping like a little kid who received a candy.

            I washed my mouth and turned to face her. "Do you mind closing the door first before you tell me your "great news!!!"" I said trying to imitate her high-pitched voice, "seriously, it's freezing outside."

           She rolled her eyes and swung the door close "So my mom came home from work. And she was like ‘I have a surprise for you!’ and I was like ‘Is that another free give-away from your office?’ cause you know my mom always does that, bringing home--”

          “Get to the point already.” I interrupted.

           “Are you really gonna be like this cause you might regret it when  I finally tell you what I’m here for. You need to be nice to me.” she smirked.

            “Then tell me already. I just want to sleep.” I uttered.

            “Okay, so after that my mom was like ‘Yes it is from the office but it’s something big.” She stalled and then rolled her eyes. “Aren’t you gonna ask what it is?”

             I sighed, exhausted. “What is it?”

          “It’s four tickets to Puerto Rico!!!” she screamed. “There was a raffle promo at office and mom won!!!” And well, I screamed with her.

            “We’re going to Puerto Rico!!!” We both screamed and jumped just like the time when we found out in third grade that we were both playing the part of Erika and Annaleise in a Barbie musical that the school was doing.

          “What’s all this noise about? Do you know what time it is already?” My mom murmured as she made her way down the stairs.

          “Mom! We’re going to Puerto Rico!!!” I said not able to control myself. “And for free!!!”

          “Wait. What? Puerto Rico?” Mom mumbled, all puzzled. So Lauren explained to her everything.

          “And you’re sure I’m gonna let you go to this trip?” Mom turned to me now, with her brows raised.

          “Mom. C’mon. It’s not like everyday you can go to Puerto Rico for free.” I tried reasoning with her.

           She sighed. “I don’t know if you’re ready to go to a far away place alone.”

          “Mrs. Hannah,” Lauren spoke, “I’ll be with Xyriel, so you don’t have to worry. And well, I think it is good for her to practice independence once in a while. I mean she will soon be going to college, won't she?”

           “Yeah, she’s right,” I added, “and we’re thinking of inviting Cole and Daniel too. So we’ll be in safe hands.”

           Silence dominated.

            Lauren turned to me and shot me a very scary glare. “You did not just say that.” She mouthed. And then I realized.

            “Two guys are going with you?!?” Mom’s voice rose. “Then the answer’s no.” She said, her voice firm and strong.

            “Mom"“

            “No.”

            “Mom, don’t you trust me? C’mon. I won’t do anything that I’ll regret later on. I’m a smart kid remember?”

             She didn’t answer back. And I was glad because it seemed like she was thinking things over.

           “Mom, you raised me to be a responsible person. Can you please trust me on this?”

            “I have always trusted you Xyriel.” She finally said.

            “Is that a yes?” I asked.

              “Yes it’s a yes.”

© 2012 x0void


Author's Note

x0void
Okay, so I know that I said that this was gonna be the finale chapter, but apparently I wasn't able to fit everything into one chapter. It was going to be too long. So I'm still gonna be writing one or two chapters. I hope that you will still find time to read my story till the end. I promise you that I'll do my best to give you the best finale for this story. Comment and Subscribe! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Start writing, young lady. I love where the story's going, and i cant wait for the next chapter/part, but I suggest you proofread this one since there are a lot of errors. Great job. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
1 Review
Added on June 12, 2012
Last Updated on December 27, 2012
Tags: romance, free, unique, opposite, other side, defying, destiny, love, sacrifice, sad, emotional, cry

Author

x0void
x0void

Philippines



About
Hi! Hope you enjoy my stories! more..

Writing