Eulogy for a Smile

Eulogy for a Smile

A Poem by Aries
"

This is written for a girl I knew throughout my school years, who died tragically only months after graduation... I did not know her well, but her life has touched many people, I'm sure.

"

Her name was Amanda, and she was 18 years old.

The name coming off of a pen, or a keystroke, or even the tongue does no justice in its substance or its fullness to her memory. Amanda was a lively girl; she loved horses (especially her horse Diamond) and loved dogs - she had quite a few of them. She was generally an energetic person. She played on the school volleyball team (quite well, I've heard) and possessed a quick wit that I  personally witnessed quite a few times, but never with mean intent - with a smile that lit up the room, a disarming feature about Amanda that I'm sure many will agree was one of the things we will remember her most for. 

Even though I did not know her well, her smile still stands out in my memories of her brightly, and the loss of her amongst us hit me hard when I found out, I was in such disbelief. I find myself fortunate that I have never had to face the passing of a close relative or friend, until now. Though I did not know her well, I feel like I've lost a friend.

I'm sure everyone has a fond memory of her or two, because she was always doing something memorable or amusing. Her close friends would know this best of all, but I have memories of my own, as well. One such memory: Her and I would see who could get down to the pizza shop after school on Wednesdays faster through our Junior year, and I would cheat and use my skateboard, flying by her and waving to her as I grinned. She still managed to beat me some days, and that smile of hers would return as a grin of victory. It's little interactions like this that stay in my memory the best, like the Psychology class I had with her, just her, Marcus and I. She tolerated our antics with God-like patience, until we started asking for sammiches, and that smile would be used in a way to tell us to make our own damn sammiches (well, along with her saying: "Make your own damned sammiches you two!"). Ms. Straight can attest to the silliness that occurred those days. 

Her life was a mystery to me beyond these small social interactions and countless others with her, but the loss of it was tragic and will be felt for a very long time, for a great many people, myself included. I sympathize with her family and close friends, and I pray for her with the class of 2010, my former classmates who have come together in this time of need.

I would like to thank you for all staying together through this, and may she find her destination, and her peace.

Rest well, Amanda. You will be missed by us all.

© 2013 Aries


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I often come by this tributes...for family and friends...the lines of these verses just flow out and the nature of the event to say our goodbyes and times of reflections...jot down on the page without effort...since they reach the fabric of who we are as human beings...the loss is important and grieve the life that once was...with a positive out look...

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1580 Views
1 Review
Added on January 9, 2011
Last Updated on November 10, 2013
Tags: life, passing, acceptance, mourning

Author

Aries
Aries

Corinth, NY



About
i write words in broken little lines that seldom flow and occasionally rhyme more..

Writing
Keepsake Keepsake

A Poem by Aries


DNR DNR

A Poem by Aries


Disconnect Disconnect

A Poem by Aries