I Need To Escape

I Need To Escape

A Story by Jill Wallflower
"

Wrote this for english homework. Had to focus on a physical journey and this is what i came up with.

"

I sat next to the hospital bed, my head in my hands. She couldn’t leave me now. My darling sister just couldn’t leave me, I needed her!

“Excuse me, Miss Anderson? She’s gone.” The doctor said, pulling a sheet over her face. How was this possible?! She never did anything wrong, and now she had to leave. I broke down and tears flooded from my eyes. I grabbed onto her, refusing to let her go, this had to be a joke. Marnie Anderson...Dead?

“Miss Anderson? We’re going to have to ask you to let go.” I refused to. I couldn’t leave her; I promised her I would never leave her side. I hugged her stiff body close, tears covering her hospital gown.

How could I possibly survive without her? Marnie was my life!

When I could finally let go, I walked out of the room and walked as fast as possible to the exit. I had to come back next week but for now, I wanted to leave.

Nearing the exit, I ran into something hard. A person or more specifically, a guy.

“Sorry.” I muttered, trying to continue walking but he stopped me.

“You look like you’ve just lost someone...” He trailed off, looking at my face, my eyes probably still red from crying.

“Yeah, my sister just died. Like you’d know anything about it!” I snapped, ripping my wrist from his grip.

“My Dad was murdered, but of course I don’t know what it’s like. Only you do, right?” He spat, before turning to walk away. I wanted to stop him and apologise but it was too late.

Death is a b***h!

I walked back in the hospital a week later only to see him. The guy I had insulted because of my grief. Seeing him reminded me of my stupidity and how terrible I felt.

He was still sitting there when I was on my way out. It’s now or never, I thought to myself as I went and sat next to him.

“Hey, before you walk away, just hear me out. Last week I was so overcome with grief that I quit my job, which I love, refused to talk to any of my family and friends and I treated complete strangers in ways that they should never be treated. I am so sorry that I spoke to you like that, and I’m sorry for your loss. Parts of me died with Marnie, I don’t know what I would do if it was my father.”

I expected him to walk away as soon as I was finished, or insult me. But he didn’t do either of those things. He just pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back and realised that I was crying again.

I went to pull away but he stopped me once again. “It’s alright I’m crying too!” He whispered to me and I rested my head on his shoulder.

I walked away with his email address and phone number. I had to have someone to talk to through this, I had gotten rid of all my friends while Marnie was dying, they just wouldn’t understand.

I spent the next week trying to keep myself busy, but somehow everything I did reminded me of my sister, and whenever I thought of her, I would cry. We had lived together, and now the apartment seemed so empty without her there, so quiet without her music blaring all hours of the day. The bands that we both loved now non-existent in my mind.

Her room was still set-up; I feared that taking it down would seem like I was forgetting her, giving up on her memory. So her room would stay that way until I had the strength to go through it and take everything down, take everything out.

The guy from the hospital, Hunter, was my only friend. He was there when I had my breakdowns; I was there when he had his. The friendship just worked. We spent every second of every day together. I often spent all night talking to him on the phone or online, because whenever I was alone, I remembered Marnie and got sad.

The parts of me that died with Marnie were slowly coming back, but then nights would kill them just as fast they died the first time.

Then the day came where I had to go through Marnie’s room. Our father wanted me to. He wanted some things to remember her by, so I had to go through everything. Get rid of what was rubbish, take what I wanted and give the rest to my family.

None of it seemed like rubbish, and I didn’t want to keep any, or give anything up. I kept her music. The CD’s, her guitar and keyboard. The rest I boxed up and gave it to my Dad.

Once my Dad had left from picking up the boxes, Hunter was straight over. If it was any of my old friends they would have brought movies and ice-cream, but not hunter. He brought himself, and that’s what I loved about him. He didn’t bring distractions; he just came over to talk.

“Hunter, he hates me!”I whined, as he hugged me.

“Kaity, you never explained your family situation to me.” He said, softly, rubbing my back as I rested my head on his chest.

“My mother and father always wanted me to be a doctor or lawyer or something like that, but I never wanted to.One day I told them this and that I wanted to be a singer, or a writer and they became overly strict. They chose my friends, what I did on the weekend, everything, even how I had my hair and the clothes I wore. It got so bad that I wasn’t me anymore. The day I turned 16, I left. Marnie came with me and helped me out, kept me in school and always gave me a place to live. Ever since then, my parents have hated me, but not her. They turned the rest of my family against me, so it was only ever Marnie and me since that day.”

“They’ve hated you for 4 years?” He asked, pulling back to look at me. All I could manage to do was nod.

“Kaity, don’t worry about them, they obviously don’t realise how amazing you are, and how lucky they would be to have you!” He whispered, kissing my forehead.

That is probably the reason why everyone thought we were dating. We often held hands or hugged in public, causing people to ask us how long we’ve been together or tell us that they think we’re a cute couple, but we were just friends. A relationship was the furthest thing from my mind, and Hunters.

“Let’s go somewhere, just forget about your parents.” He said, getting up off the couch. I followed him to the door, grabbing the keys. I didn’t even bother with my phone anymore; it was only ever used for Hunter.

“Hunter! I know what we have to do!” I said as he drove. My voice higher than usual.

“You sound happy, whatever you just thought of, I want to hear it.” He said, his eyes not leaving the road, but I knew that he was interested on what I was saying.

“We have to leave. We could get a place together, somewhere away from here, and start a new life.” I said, as he pulled over.

“Are you sure? That’s a big change, Kaity. I’d be willing to do it, but are you sure?” He asked, turning the car off and getting out. I got out after him and stood with him.

“Hunter, why do you think I suggested it? I want to, as long as you come with me.” I said, smiling at him. I don’t think he had ever seen me smile.

“Of course I’ll go with you. I’d do anything just to make you happy.” He smiled, hugging me.

“I don’t even need anything from my apartment. It’s just furniture. We just need to keep driving.” And that’s what we did. We just kept driving until we were far away from Eastbourne and would be able to start again. When we arrived at London, we checked into a hotel, planning on finding somewhere to stay in the morning.

 

© 2011 Jill Wallflower


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so tragic! The emotion is so wonderfully scored in this piece of literary art. I can really feel the emotion here. Well done

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

320 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 12, 2011
Last Updated on April 12, 2011

Author

Jill Wallflower
Jill Wallflower

Sydney, Australia



About
I'm Jill 16 Christian :) Bisexual Yeah, I know they disagree but you can't choose who you become Music is my life... Northie, The Never Ever, Dear Dearest, Call The Shots, Because They Can.. more..

Writing