Ashley's Eulogy

Ashley's Eulogy

A Poem by Erica Marie


Everything I know about friendship, I learned from Ashley. From the special inside jokes, to the extreme forgiveness of wrongdoings. She taught me so much about the joys of living. About the simplicity of happiness, and about overwhelming amounts of courage and bravery. We were thirteen when we became best friends. There were sleepovers, and movies, passing notes in class and walks in the summer time just talking. And as we became closer friends, life was so much happier. She would call me when she was scared or sad or bored, and I the same for her. She loved singing, drawing and writing, especially poetry. I remember so many times we would just hang out and write together.  No need for anything else, but a pen and paper.  Ashley enjoyed the little things. She was stubborn for the right reasons. She would always tell you the truth no matter what it was or how much you didn't want to hear it. And everyone needs a friend like that to pull you back where you need to be. She was so kind and would talk to anyone no matter their status. And by the time high school was over, she had more friends than I could count. She was, an amazing person. And it's important to remember her for who she was. Because she was not the cancer, or the suffering, or the pain. She was not weak or helpless. She was not just another tragic story, or a date on the calendar, or a half raised flag. But she was the hopefulness and the smiles and the optimism. She was the definition of internal and external beauty. She was Disney socks and colored gel pens. She was a true fighter. Even though God has taken her home, she is not gone, she's still here with us. She is the sun in the sky and the warmth in our hearts. She is calm in the room and the peace in our dreams. She is ink on a page from a beautiful poem. She is any kind act from a stranger. She is the song that gets us through another day. She is everywhere.
<3

© 2013 Erica Marie


Author's Note

Erica Marie
My friend was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, and lost the battle on December 8th. I am speaking at her funeral tomorrow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a touching tribute...heart wrenching yet at peace. I truly empathize and relate. Be blessed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was very touching and heartfelt!!! truly lovely ode!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Erica Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the review
So sorry about your loss my heartly condolences...

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is absolutely beautiful.

"She was Disney socks and colored gel pens. She was a true fighter. Even though God has taken her home, she is not gone, she's still here with us. She is the sun in the sky and the warmth in our hearts. She is calm in the room and the peace in our dreams. She is ink on a page from a beautiful poem. She is any kind act from a stranger. She is the song that gets us through another day. She is everywhere"

That part really got me.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Erica Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 17, 2013
Tags: eulogy, friendship, emotional, funeral

Author

Erica Marie
Erica Marie

CA



About
☮♥Erica Marie♥☮ Welcome to my profile! I hope you enjoy my writing :) My name is Erica Marie and I am 20 years old. Born and raised in Souther.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken :-[ Broken :-[

A Poem by Honey54