Hard Pill to Swallow

Hard Pill to Swallow

A Chapter by XMorris91

Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge
I'm trying not to lose my head
It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under

Standin' on the front stoop hangin' out the window
Watchin' all the cars go by, roarin' as the breezes blow
Crazy lady, livin' in a bag
Eatin' outta garbage pails, used to be a f*g hag
Said she'll dance the tango, skip the light fandango
A Zircon princess seemed to lost her senses
Down at the peep show watchin' all the creeps
So she can tell her stories to the girls back home
She went to the city and got so so seditty
She had to get a pimp, she couldn't make it on her own

It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under

My brother's doin' bad, stole my mother's TV
Says she watches too much, it's just not healthy
All My Children in the daytime, Dallas at night
Can't even see the game or the Sugar Ray fight
The bill collectors, they ring my phone
And scare my wife when I'm not home
Got a bum education, double-digit inflation
Can't take the train to the job, there's a strike at the station
Neon King Kong standin' on my back
Can't stop to turn around, broke my sacroiliac
A mid-range migraine, cancered membrane
Sometimes I think I'm goin' insane
I swear I might hijack a plane!

It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under

A child is born with no state of mind
Blind to the ways of mankind
God is smilin' on you but he's frownin' too
Because only God knows what you'll go through
You'll grow in the ghetto livin' second-rate
And your eyes will sing a song called deep hate
The places you play and where you stay
Looks like one great big alleyway
(song slowly begins to fade)

“And there you have it ladies and gentlemen!” A booming voice rushes through the airwaves. “That was The Message, by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five! Another classic for this special throwback Friday special we have going on tonight. That song hit me just like it did the first time I heard it when I was in my freshmen year in college! Those were the days indeed,” the man behind the voice exhaled in nostalgia.

“I had less grey hair back then and I was also was hundred pounds lighter!” The man behind the voice joked. “70s and 80s babies represent! Also shoutout to my old high school, Major Wright High School in New Orleans. Stampede family stand up! I got nothing but love for y'all!”

“Now…on a serious to all my listeners,” the male behind the voice clears his throat, “Enough about me. However, before we go any further with our broadcast, I must also apologize for the earlier inconvenience. To all those who are just tuning into this broadcast allow me to note that technology, while it's great and has changed society for the better for and made our lives a little more easier. We have to face the fact that for something that is important in all of our lives and had an impact on our lives differently, from time to time flaws are present. Anything made by man will has its flaws. But I just wanted to let you all know that the problem has been remedied and to those who commented in the station's live stream about sound issues I thank you for informing us. I must show love and appreciation to all my old and new listeners. I thank you for rocking with me for all these years and I would be nothing without y'all. That's coming from the bottom of my heart.”

“Now, for sake of time we're moving forward with our scheduled programming. To all my new listeners who just tuned in you are jamming with your host, Francisco Davenport. This is BloodStone radio 103.1. If we don't bring the funk, then your day just won't be complete.”

“Tonight ladies and gentlemen we have a special guest in attendance tonight. She's a old friend of mine. She's a native New Yorker and a New York bestselling author. She recently wrote and released the book titled, Melted Snowflake, a book I had the privilege of receiving from the author directly before it hit store shelves and the online version becoming available. I absolutely recommend you all who have not read this book to buy it immediately to not only support her work but be amazed by the literature. The story she presents to the public truly will put things in perspective to those who have not walked in the shoes of many people like her. She holds a special place in my heart and I feel that y'all will learn to love and appreciate her as much as I do. So without further ado, I Introduce to you the one and only….Ms Leslie Frazier!”

There was a round of applause as Leslie Frazier walked into the room. The noise was deafening but she couldn't allow herself to flinch from the praise and attention. She felt the numerous pair of eyes bearing down on her. It was intimidating at first, but she had to mentally calm herself from the anxiety she felt building. She had to remain strong. Not only for herself, but for the people that took the time to clear a spot for her to tell her story. She couldn't allow her nerves to prevent her from telling her story further. Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes momentarily and tried to tone out everything happening around her. Whispering mentally to herself she constantly repeated the word, focus..Focus...FOCUS! And suddenly like that all the noise around her stopped.

Opening her eyes she looked at some of the people in the hallways with glee on their faces and clapping wildly, but no sound was heard. Her thoughts and the clicking of her heels were the only sound being heard in this “silently” hall. As she continued to walk, with the clicking of her heels becoming more louder as she toned out all the sound around her. Once she walked into the room, nearest to the radio broadcast booth, all she could see before her were the focused faces of the behind the scenes men and women working diligently making sure everything in the station ran smoothly. Turning her attention to the left side of the room she saw the producer, Mr. Gibbs, and a man she didn't recognize whispering, who she suspected was responsible for the live stream since he lifted up his thumb in a manner as if to inform everyone around him that everything was a “go.” As she shifted her attention to the right she saw a group people sitting on a leather sofa. She didn't know what their purpose was for she mentally assumed them to be apart of an Entourage of some sort. Deciding to be nice and since she made eye contact she cracked a smile on her face and waved at them. She didn't want to be rude, that would have been a terrible first impression. Receiving smiles and their hands clapping in what she assumed to be excitement and anticipation. At that moment, she knew deep down her decision was the correct one. Taking a deep breath all noise around her returned to her attacking her eardrums at once. Once she took a good look where she stood she finally realized that she stood before a wooden door that had a sign posted on it saying, We Are Live. Placing her hand on the knob of the door and hearing the producer in the background tell her, you’re on in 5, she knew she couldn't turn back now. Swallowing all doubt at the door she turned the knob, the oppression of uneasiness left at the door, she took that leap of confidence and walked into the booth.


© 2017 XMorris91


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on July 18, 2017
Last Updated on July 18, 2017
Tags: Sad, dark, darkness, depression, reflection, struggle, sadness, mental, poem, poetry, loneliness, lonely, sorrow redemption


Author

XMorris91
XMorris91

Beaufort, SC



About
Hello everyone. My name is Xavier Morris and I am a new writer who spent majority of my time gathering ideas through my everyday life and research and compiled enough ideas to finally put my ideas int.. more..

Writing
Value Value

A Poem by XMorris91