Chapter One: In A Split Second

Chapter One: In A Split Second

A Chapter by Stacy Purvis
"

When fate steps in and almost takes the life of a writer, one nurse puts her career on the line to save him. But can she save him before the past catches up to him?

"

Bettina surveyed the array of vehicles before her. So many styles and colors to choose from. Never had buying a car been such a difficult task. She planned to just pick something up-cheap, good on gas, you know, an “A to B” vehicle to get her to work and back, maybe a few other places. I hate shopping, she thought to herself.

Maybe it was the daunting task, maybe it was her aversion to people and conversing, or maybe it was just actually taking time out of her busy schedule, (which would inevitably put her behind), whatever the case may be, she stood there, hands on hips, surveying the lot. In her mind, she had already decided: this salesman had his work cut out for him and he’d definitely be working hard for THIS commission.

“Test drive, TEST drive, TEST DRIVE, blah!” She said out loud after the fourth vehicle.

“Thir2ty five miles per gallon on the highway, manual transmission, great on gas, all the amenities…” She began to trail off.

At this rate, it would take her weeks to find something simple and suitable. The bells and whistles were going off but still no end in sight before she called it a day and said “good night”. The salesman may have been applying the pressure but she remained undecided, calm, cool, and collected.

Day two of car shopping began pretty much the same as the first. By late afternoon, Bettina was at her wits end. She was no closer to finding one than when she first began.

“I’ll test drive one more today,” she said to the salesman with frustration. “Then I’m going home.”

Completely ignoring Bettina’s list of wants/needs in a vehicle, he decided to put her in a small SUV. She frowned but took the keys anyway and started the vehicle.

“Let’s take the scenic route.” He suggested.

They drove through the city and out route 50 to the open road, curves, bends and hills. As the sun began to set, Bettina was painfully aware that she’d forgotten her glasses she needed to wear for driving at night. But completely frustrated, she drove as fast as she could back to the dealership…never mentioning that fact to the salesman beside her. It was a mistake she’d regret for the rest of her life.

Darkness fell quickly as they finally reached the city limits. The salesman next to her was staring out the window enjoying the view. The city lights were beautiful and the night life in town was amazing. Smiling, laughing people were riding bikes, and walking around in shops and clubs. It was almost a perfect moment…almost.

Charlie never had clue that it was coming, but it would change his life for an Eternity. The only warning: A shrill scream from a woman waiting at the cross walk on the opposite corner. As Charlie turned to see what she was screaming and pointing at, it was too late. The force of the SUV slammed his body against the grill, into the windshield and over the top. He landed with a ‘thud’ onto the pavement behind it.

Bettina didn’t even see him crossing and until the body crash into the windshield, she didn’t even know that she hit him. She slammed on her brakes and panicked, then both she and the salesman looked at one another, eyes wide with the instant realization that they just hit “something”.

The windshield was cracked and crushed with pieces of dark hair and blood strewn within it. Bettina started screaming as people stopped and ran to the seemingly lifeless body on the pavement behind her.

She and the salesman jumped out and ran back to him. A crowd had gathered.

“Call 911” was heard from a few.

“Don’t move the body” by a few others.

Bettina began crying hysterically as she grabbed for him.

“I didn’t see him!” She exclaimed hysterically.

“I didn’t see you! I’m so sorry!” She cried.

He didn’t move.

In a few minutes, EMS arrived. She could hear one of the medics saying, “I’ve got nothing. We need to load and go now!”

She watched them load him onto a backboard and stretcher, then do CPR as they pulled away.

An officer arrived on scene and began to gather statements. It was like a horrible nightmare that she just couldn’t awaken from.

She overheard the salesman on the phone with his manager and the words “dead” and “lawsuit”. Another ambulance arrived and two EMT’s checked her out as well as the salesman.

This is not happening, she thought to herself over and over.

But it was…a bizarre twist of events, and the tides of tragedy were changing the currents of the wind.



© 2018 Stacy Purvis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really well structured chapter. This really shows how life can change on a dime.

*One note, after Bettina hits the man with the SUV, you already rely to the reader that she is hysterical. Therefor, you can get rid of the pesky Adverb, hysterically, in the below dialogue.

Can't wait to read more!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Really well structured chapter. This really shows how life can change on a dime.

*One note, after Bettina hits the man with the SUV, you already rely to the reader that she is hysterical. Therefor, you can get rid of the pesky Adverb, hysterically, in the below dialogue.

Can't wait to read more!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a good story! great job on your writing! Keep it up! I'll read the next chapter in a bit

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2017
Last Updated on May 14, 2018
Tags: dearjohndoe, johndoe, anna, book, nurse, romance, xosassystaceox, writer, writing


Author

Stacy Purvis
Stacy Purvis

Columbus, OH



About
Altruistic Enigmatic Polymath | Writer, Poet, Actress, Musician, EMT. I'm an Artist. I paint pictures of the verbal kind. ☯ 333 more..

Writing