A Day In The Museum

A Day In The Museum

A Story by Stacy Purvis

It was chilly that morning- the day we spent in the museum. I took the train to satisfy my unquenchable thirst for the fantastic view of the countryside, and I was never disappointed. There were hills of gregarious and lustrous green, babbling brooks, creatures running free breathing air so crisp, and intimidating mountains scraping the sky in the distance.
Nature, in all its magnificent glory, and I, a speck of dust invading its space like so many before me. I was captivated and enraptured by its undeniable beauty. But suddenly, I was reminded that I was an invader, a beast, a man riding a train through its very soul, on tracks laid by men, who before me, raped and pillaged its flesh, and I was instantly repulsed by my reflection in the glass as I sat quietly in seat 33A and desecrated its very being. 
A tear rolled down my cheek and I thought to myself, "Man...is truly the beast...a beast of burden". 
Who the f*ck do we think we are? Cutting down trees, building shopping malls and more f*cking condos? We don't NEED more shopping malls and condos. Soon, there won't be any countryside, no trees to cleanse our air no lakes or landscapes with rivers running through it...only concrete jungles in decay.
I became sick to my stomach as I traveled on the train through the countryside with tears rolling down my cheeks on my way to the museum. 
When I arrived at the station, I caught a glimpse of your beautiful, smiling face awaiting me, and my heart began to beat again, hopefully.
I pushed my painful thoughts of the landscapes away and concentrated (instead) on you and the macroscopic museum which lie in wait for us.
It was in the sacred minds of the artists there that I found salvation once more; a reminder that not all men are beasts, but rather, some are saviors of the broken and damned, victims of themselves.
I became grateful once again, as I held your hand and we shared a day in the museum.

© 2020 Stacy Purvis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The way you've written this Anastasia, it just seems so perfect!
I was engaged from the start, and was devouring the imagery and emotions you provided!
Like the anger of us humans, cutting down trees, using the land unwisely...
I totally agree!
But there are some us, as mentioned in the story, that are really good human beings!
Keep it up Anastasia, well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
CMC
I think this was excellently penned. I relate a lot to the feelings put here. We, as humans, are consumers, and we have destroyed a great portion of nature's bounty. However, the people who show us a new world give us a fresh pair of eyes, so we can view a different history of man. Well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wow I definitely like the way it was written, and how you describe it. I was interesting what you did with the beginning and end! I really enjoyed your story

Posted 6 Years Ago


The way you describe the countryside makes me wanna go there. Continued reading this story and found the harsh reality of today.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Very accurate sentiments. Sadly, mankind hates change, but it especially hates change when it involves effort. It'll take a miracle for us to reverse the damage we've done and keep nature intact.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I agree with you Anastasia:)
Nature will surely have a great pay-back!
Thank you so much for sharing this.
I myself am a nature lover:)

Posted 6 Years Ago


This just makes me have little faith in humanity. It's beautiful and very angering, but in all honest, humans will never change, even when forced to do so. The cutting down of trees and using land to for our own reasons just won't end.

This is an eye opener. Great job.

Posted 6 Years Ago


'Nature, in all its magnificent glory, and I, a speck of dust invading its space like so many before me.'f

Indeed. It does often feel like we are that speck of dust on this vast earth...

This is the irony of life, I guess. We neglect so many things in the face of achieving the materialistic things.
I like how you ended the story with a hopeful note.
Well penned, Anastasia :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stacy Purvis

6 Years Ago

Thank you, sweetheart...
this world has grown cold, callous, and compleely mad...
Dr. YumnaKay

6 Years Ago

True, it has...
You're welcome :)
man...a beautiful day ..its ruination ..then the joy of another's face ..whew ;) a little strong on the man is a ruination beast for me ..but i understand what is being said .... we are after all as much of "nature" as all things ... (in my opinion) and gratitude is such a fine place to close your story ... engaging ... important social commentary ... held my attention
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is such an engaging story, the imaginary was so perfect and felt so real with each line I have read!
You have delivered such a strong writing in this story that left such a great impact.

Thank you for sharing, I always enjoy reading your writing :)


Posted 6 Years Ago


very well written friend..keep up

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1385 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 11, 2017
Last Updated on June 10, 2020
Tags: nature, beauty, destruction, man, beast, concrete, writing, story, a day in the museum, xosassystaceox, sassystace, writer

Author

Stacy Purvis
Stacy Purvis

Columbus, OH



About
Altruistic Enigmatic Polymath | Writer, Poet, Actress, Musician, EMT. I'm an Artist. I paint pictures of the verbal kind. ☯ 333 more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Goodnight Goodnight

A Poem by Ethan