The Weight of The Misanthrope

The Weight of The Misanthrope

A Stage Play by rav1209
"

This is the tragedy of Joseph and his two friends, Chris and Lucy

"

JOSEPH - An antisocial, mundane teenager who is mostly monotonous in speech.

CHRIS - A lively teenager who thrives at social gatherings and is a flirt.

LUCY- A quiet shy girl who would rather have her nose in a book.


ACT 1

Scene 1

Campsite, late evening, Joseph sits behind the fake fire that is center stage. He stokes the fire.

JOSEPH

(tsks)

You think I would have learned by now not to trust anyone. I tried to give them a chance but they were just like everyone else. They didn’t really care.


A spotlight slowly lights

up on Chris, he stands casually

almost frozen.

JOSEPH

Chris tried the hardest, which is why I considered him my best friend. He tried to get me interested in girls, but there was only one.

CHRIS

Joey come on! You’re always so pessimistic. At this rate we’ll never get to school on time.

JOSEPH

(remains seated)

I don’t feel well, go without me.

CHRIS

Get off that stupid computer, Lucy is waiting for us downstairs.


JOSEPH

Alright, I’m coming.

The light fades out

on Chris and then another

turns on Lucy who is

holding a book.

JOSEPH

Lucy… Lucy was the only person I ever loved. She was shy and careful, like me.


LUCY

Hi Joseph, how was Alaska?

JOSEPH

Boring. That series of books you let me borrow was good though.


The spotlight on

Chris turns back on.

CHRIS

Leave it to you two to read books all summer.

JOSEPH

Well, not all of us get invited to parties. Did you finish your summer homework?

CHRIS

Well it depends, will you let me copy yours?

JOSEPH

This is the last time though.

CHRIS

Of course, we won’t have summer homework next year.


LUCY

I can’t believe we’re Seniors…

JOSEPH

Can’t wait to leave that Hell of a school.

Both spotlights turn

off.

JOSEPH

Our last year went by fast. Soon it was winter and Chris gave me news I didn’t want to hear.

Chris’s light turns

on, he looks nervous and

uneasy.

CHRIS

I asked her out.

JOSEPH

You asked who out?

CHRIS

Lucy.

Joseph lifts his head

up.

JOSEPH

(doubtfully)

Lucy Parkinson?


CHRIS

No, our Lucy, I finally had the guts to ask her out. She- she said yes.

JOSEPH

Of course she did.

CHRIS

(yelling)

Joey, wait, Joey! What’s wrong with you?

JOSEPH

You knew, you knew!

CHRIS

Knew what? Joey I don’t understand.

Joseph snaps his head

toward Chris and stands

up.

JOSEPH

I told you, I trusted you.

CHRIS

You like Lucy, why didn’t you- You like Lucy?

Joseph sits back down

and rubs his face. holding in his anger as he nods.


CHRIS

I’ll tell her I can’t anymore- I’ll tell her it was a joke.

JOSEPH

No! No… She’ll be looking forward to it now, just be a gentleman, alright?

CHRIS

Of course, I’ll be the best man I can be.

JOSEPH

One mistake and I won’t speak to you ever again.

Chris’s spotlight

turns off and Lucy’s

turns on.

LUCY

Joseph, I’m telling you, he was the sweetest.

JOSEPH

He didn’t do anything right? Didn’t try anything weird?

LUCY

Joseph I’m telling you he was acting like a prince. Opening the door, pulling out the chair for me, and he even asked to kiss me.

JOSEPH

Did you let him?

LUCY

Of course I did, it was like a dream. Besides, I’ve always liked him.

JOSEPH

I have to go- homework.

LUCY

Alright… See you later Joseph.

Lucy’s light turns off.

JOSEPH

I never had a chance, my heart shattered. She was never going to love me because to her I was just like a brother. To a certain extent, I could see that Chris was good for her. She interacted with people more and I was quickly left behind.

One light comes on

Lucy and Chris. Chris’s arm around her as they stand behind Joseph.

CHRIS

You should come with us, you’ll have fun.

LUCY

Yeah come on Joseph, I’m not going unless you come too.

JOSEPH

Both of you just leave me alone! I don’t want to be the hopeless third wheel anymore, I’m fine by myself!

CHRIS

I was trying to be nice, you never talk anymore. I thought maybe you would want to leave this stupid shell but that’s who you are, a hermit. And that’s fine but don’t get mad at us for trying to help.

Chris stands in place as the spotlight follows Lucy as she puts a hand on Joseph’s shoulder.

LUCY

Joseph, you never talk to me anymore...did I do something wrong?... I’ll talk to you after the party I guess.

The light turns off on

Lucy.

JOSEPH

You trusted him, you loved him. You never wanted me but look who got you hurt.

The sound of a car crash

sounds. Chris’s light turns on.

CHRIS

(crying)

Joey pick up your phone, it’s Lucy… She won’t- She’s hurt bad. She’s in the hospital, please Joey talk to me

The light fades off Chris

and Lucy’s light turns on, she’s

lying down. Joseph goes up to

her and stands.

JOSEPH

She was in a coma, and even if she woke up she would be paralyzed from the neck down. I knew that Lucy would never want anyone to see her like that, like a vegetable. So I did what any good friend would do; I pulled the plug.

Chris’s light turns on.

JOSEPH

I ran here after I did it. No one can find me here, no one. This way I can be alone.

Light fade’s out.

ACT 1

Scene 2

Campsite, early morning, light’s up to Joseph on the ground. Chris enters from stage left.

CHRIS

(kicks Joseph)

Why did you do it? (yelling)Why god d****t!

Joseph gets up slowly.

JOSEPH

What did I do? You were the one who drove her home even though you were drunk! And look at you, barely a scratch, but she, she was lying there in a coma to just wake up to another Hell.

CHRIS

It wasn’t my fault! I wasn’t the one drinking, it was the other driver, get your facts straight!


JOSEPH

(yelling)

No, you’re the bad guy! This is all your fault! She never would have gotten hurt if she picked me!

CHRIS

News flash Joey, she was never going to pick you. She didn’t like you how you liked her, you can’t just push your feelings onto people or expect them to know. We both just wanted to be friends with you but all you did was push us away.

JOSEPH

You’re lying!

Joseph lunges at Chris putting his hands around his neck. Chris tries to get away but Joseph in his fit of rage hits him against the tree repeatedly. Joseph let’s go and Chris falls to the ground.

JOSEPH

Chris? (kicks Chris’s body) Chris! Come on stop messing around, I didn’t even hit you that hard, you just made me angry. Please wake up. I don’t want to be alone, I didn’t mean it. Chris?


Police sirens start to sound as Joseph backs away from Chris, he falls back on the log and starts to cry.

JOSEPH

No! No I didn’t want this I just, I wanted them to care.

The light’s fade out.




© 2014 rav1209


Author's Note

rav1209
I wrote this for my creative writing class.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hoooo boy, DRAMA! I loved the ending where you showed Joseph going completely off the deep end. I only wish you'd showed a little more about the interactions between Joseph and Chris, Joseph and Lucy and Chris and Lucy to show events leading up to what Joseph sees as massive betrayal. Perhaps show events foreshadowing what is to come, like Joseph talking to Chris about his feelings for Lucy and at some other point Chris flirting with Lucy?

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on April 29, 2014
Last Updated on April 29, 2014
Tags: tragedy, love, crash, lonely, misunderstood

Author

rav1209
rav1209

benicia, CA



Writing
Context Context

A Story by rav1209


A Love Song A Love Song

A Poem by rav1209


I'm Sorry I'm Sorry

A Story by rav1209