On The Cusp

On The Cusp

A Poem by Michael Handel
"

I don't care for astrology or those who do.

"

 

An angel locked inside a man...

is an inviting way to start a poem

but in actuality, I , am much-much

more like a man locked inside a

machine : 

vapid, vapidly, vapidness

am   , does   , is

on nights like this

or

am I a machine plugged into the

heart of man, cavernous chest,

now so synchronized with the beat

that my heart now bleeds voltage

down to the soles of my feet...

recharged every morning, soon after

the Sun rises, with beats and sounds,

cigarettes, like crayons coloring-in

my youthful lungs with their die-young

hue.

Android-like, hollow-like, cat-lover,

shadow-dancer in depths of caves,

like troll, up-hill from townsfolk,

storing stragglers until the next stroke

of the lunar-cycle.  Yet my scream is so

silent.

My favorite cat, Nigel, has a silent meow.

We get on quite well.  I think I'll go find

him and kiss him on his brow,

not unlike...

an angel locked inside a man.

               

© 2008 Michael Handel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

God, astrology annoys the hell out of me. I'm about as spiritually deep as a puddle and I like it that way. My life isn't ruled by pin pricks of light anymore than it's ruled by the tides.

"cigarettes, like crayons coloring-in
my youthful lungs with their die-young
hue."

Nice line. I also liked the machine descriptions, of being an android. Plus the opening and closing lines are really... they're full of oomph. Not sure how to explain that, but to me they are. I like that you've used the same line, kind of brings it full circle.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your poetry always brings out the solidity of you brilliant personality. It has an attitude the becomes your signiture style; always leaving the reader wondering what is going through your mind as opposed to what you tell people is going through your mind. The obvious deliberation of this is your gypsy. I enjoyed reading this subtly amusing piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


God, astrology annoys the hell out of me. I'm about as spiritually deep as a puddle and I like it that way. My life isn't ruled by pin pricks of light anymore than it's ruled by the tides.

"cigarettes, like crayons coloring-in
my youthful lungs with their die-young
hue."

Nice line. I also liked the machine descriptions, of being an android. Plus the opening and closing lines are really... they're full of oomph. Not sure how to explain that, but to me they are. I like that you've used the same line, kind of brings it full circle.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

grade a
my friend
grade a

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the word Cusp Mr. Mike, let's contemplate it a moment shall we?

Cusp:
noun
Etymology: Latin cuspis point
Date: 1585
: point, apex: as a: a point of transition (as from one historical period to the next) : turning point; also : edge, verge b: either horn of a crescent moon c: a fixed point on a mathematical curve at which a point tracing the curve would exactly reverse its direction of motion d: an ornamental pointed projection formed by or arising from the intersection of two arcs or foils e (1): a point on the grinding surface of a tooth (2): a fold or flap of a cardiac valve

Your piece is titled - On The Cusp. You begin it by talking about angels, men, and machines. Are you feeling trapped? Are you on the verge of____________, what? You fill in the blank, no one else can you know.

I don't like astrology either. I don't need vague instructions on what I should or should not do. Life is already vague. What I would like is concrete. Ms. K you should do this, or that, or jump off a cliff... whatever, just be upfront. I don't get concrete, so, I get up every day and face the crap shoot that is my life. You know... I say I want concrete, but in actuality it would probably bore me.

My screams are not silent.

I have a bizarre habit of naming my Cats after dictators. My last kitty of 14 years was named Adolf. Can I tell you that Mike? I am not a closet Nazi, honest. I named him that because he had a little black patch under his nose that looked like a moustache. When my son's were old enough to understand they chastised me and insisted that we simply call him Kitty. We lost him when we had to move. I was so upset. My hub and son's brought home a new kitty a year ago and I named him Fidel. I think he needs a brother, if I get him one I will name him Raul. I am a character, I like that about myself.

I like definition #2 of Cusp. It is a flap in a cardiac valve, huh, how bout that. Controls what goes in and out of the heart, the flow. A cusp is not a locked door, it is a pathway to something else or somewhere else. Men locked in machines don't write the way you do or, kiss kitty cats on the brow.

I'm just sayin...........

Ms. K



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Not even if they're red headed and tattooed? I miss the gaggle of astrologers, actually.
You are an actual real life genius. I'm proud of you, boy. See, I'd excel at grandmotherhood, if we could just skip the generation that entails motherhood, I'd like that, I like cardigans.
So basically your words are infinitely more colo(u)rful than anyone else's on here and most people use the term "blew me away" lightly and irritatingly but here, and of course of you in general, I feel it's necessary.
Bloody hell I love you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i bow down to you. and your awesomeness. it's funny when i read your things and they're so fantastic and then you call me brilliant. pshaw.

"An angel locked inside a man...
is an inviting way to start a poem
but in actuality, I , am much-much
more like a man locked inside a
machine :
vapid, vapidly, vapidness"

uh, hello? that is pure genius. pure, pure mikey. i like how you start with that image, take it back, and then somehow tie it into the end.

"like crayons coloring-in
my youthful lungs with their die-young
hue."

just had to mention that line not only rocked my socks, but blew em off into the next country. i also love crayons. true fact.

xxx






Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

570 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 10, 2008
Last Updated on October 5, 2008

Author

Michael Handel
Michael Handel

Philadelphia, PA



About
"my poems are only scratchings on the floor of a cage" -Charles Bukowski more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..