Yeshiva of New Haven Supports the Local Jewish Community

Yeshiva of New Haven Supports the Local Jewish Community

A Story by Yeshiva New Haven
"

Yeshiva of New Haven is involved with the local community and offers Jewish families schools for their children. Yeshiva is New Haven’s Tora Center and a place of learning.

"

Daniel Greer founded Yeshiva of New Haven in 1977 after having spent several years in Israel before moving to Connecticut from his home in New York City. The school began as a nursery and slowly grew until it encompassed a complete elementary program.


Daniel Greer was graduated from Yale Law School, and, while working for city government in the Lindsay administration, volunteered much time for the then nascent Soviet Jewry Movement, which was spearheaded by Avraham & Frieda Birnbaum and Glenn and Lenore Richter. Daniel Greer convinced the United States State Department to intervene on behalf of Leonid Rigerman and his mother, Esther Rigerman, and Greer shepherded their eventual repatriation to this county.


Following his marriage, Daniel Greer and his wife spent several years in Israel. Daniel Greer, at that juncture, received rabbinic ordination from Rabbi Tehoshua Newirth, and his wife, Sarah Greer, studied with the world famous Biblical scholar, Nechama Leibowitz.


Daniel Greer sees it as his mission to support Orthodox families and understands the challenge of adhering to a Torah way of life in a secular environment. As an undergraduate at Princeton College, Greer was consigned to eat alone in his dorm room with food he brought each week from home. Eventually, he convinced others to join him and founded what then became Princeton’s kosher dining option, renting an off-campus location, and hiring a cook. Today, Princeton boasts a vibrant kosher facility.


The Yeshiva of New Haven functions as a primary center of Torah learning, holding daily and Sabbath services, presenting classes in Liturgy, Bible, Jewish Law and Jewish History. As a person well-versed in Jewish calendrical calculations, Daniel Greer teaches his congregants at Yeshiva of New Haven the interesting calibrations of the yearly Jewish holiday cycle. Rabbi Daniel Greer teaches the reasoning behind variations in the yearly cycle and the logic which dictates when months are lengthened from twenty-nine to thirty days and when a thirteenth month, ‘Adar Sheni’, is intercalculated into the Jewish year.


The affiliate elementary school, Yeshiva Elementary, offers a dual curriculum in Judaic and General Studies. The synagogue and elementary school are under Orthodox auspices and welcome Jewish families.


For More Information Visit Here -

© 2016 Yeshiva New Haven


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
Added on November 29, 2016
Last Updated on November 29, 2016
Tags: Yeshiva New Haven

Author

Yeshiva New Haven
Yeshiva New Haven

New York City, NY



About
Yeshiva of New Haven offers Orthodox Jewish children a private education. The school is privately funded and has a curriculum that is centered on orthodox tradition and practice. Students are able to .. more..