BL - Four

BL - Four

A Chapter by lawrence bear
"

It's not funny anymore

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of BL - Four.



Slowly I made my way through the tall brush as the snow began fall more heavily. It was getting thicker by the minute and I barely made out the path and for a while I rode down this path before I realized I was on the wrong route. I turned around a headed back and at this point I needed the washroom, I tried my best to hold it, but the bumps were not agreeing with my bladder. I stopped and trudged into the bush a little, the snow crunched beneath my feet. I had to remove my jacket in order to unzip my ski pants and then use the washroom. As I was doing up my jacket to continue towards the cabin, I had an eerie feeling and the hair on the back of my neck had stood on end. Slowly I pulled my hood back; I looked around and I heard was the wind whistling off the trees. I stood momentarily looking around as I felt as though I was being watched.


For a moment, dread crept up on me. I shook it off as my feet crunched forward and then out of nowhere, a tree branch landed in front of my sled, my body jolted. My head shot up and my eyes darted around. My heart raced and my blood grew hot quickly. I laughed nervously to myself, “Very funny guys,” my voice squeaked. I cleared my throat, “you almost had me too!” I shook it off and snickered and then hopped on my snowmobile. “You’ll have to do better than that you guys. I’ll see you clowns back at the cabin.” And I took off thinking they might want to race so I gunned it. When I arrived to the cabin, Mark was outside hanging a kettle over the fire. I looked back thinking; Jack must have heard my snowmobile and came to play a practical joke on me.


“That was a pretty good joke, Jack pulled.” I said to Mark as I got off my sled.


He looked at me strangely and asked. “What are you talking about?”


“Yeah whatever,” I said walking toward him. “Pretty good joke I tell you.”


“What joke?” Mark continued.


“Come on, stop it. Back there. Jack tossed some branch at me when I stopped for a leak” I smirked, pointing back with my thumb.


Mark just looked at me like I was crazy or something, but he was in on it, I’m sure he was. I ignored his odd look and headed for the cabin, I chuckled to myself thinking these clowns must have been bored to try a stunt like that. And just before I was going for the door handle, it opened and there was, Jack. He stood in the doorway looking down on me.


“Well, well, look what the cat dragged in. Don’t just stand there with a dumb look on you face, you coming in or what?” he laughed. “I was wondering when you were going to show up. Man, you should have seen the herd this morning…” He went on about his morning and I stood speechless and shocked.


Many things ran through my head as I stood there, and then goose bumps began to crawl under my skin. Nah! I thought to myself.


“Hey, are you okay?” Jack looked at me. “You look as white as a ghost!”


I was telling myself over and over, that it was Mark. It had to be and he just beat me back and made it look like he was here the whole time. That’s the only logical explanation. But then those old stories flooded my head and it made me shiver. I shook myself out of it and saw Mark staring at me all weird.


“Yeah man, I’m fine,” I put on a smile. “I’m just a little tired from the trip. That snowfall is sure getting nasty isn’t it?” I turned to look out into the woods and after a few seconds a chill ran up my spine that made me shudder. More like weirded out. I thought to myself.


“I’m making some chicken noodle soup, it should warm you up” Mark said walking towards the kitchenette. “You sure you’re okay? You don’t look so good.” he stood in front of the counter and then pulled out some cups from the cupboard.


I wanted to tell him, but how do you explain what had happened to you? How a tree branch flew out of nowhere and landed with a thump in front of your sled. When clearly I thought it was one of them trying to scare me with some practical joke… when it was not? At that moment, I was horrified to speak of it. Tales of those things up here came back in waves, how we were warned to never come here, to never set foot in place again. Tales we were told as kids, the elders spoke of it, the words I am scared to utter. Tales we had forgotten about. I was beginning to regret the decision of coming out here for the weekend. It was too late to run back, the sun had set and the storm had gotten stronger, I was glad I made it when I did.


“Marcus!” he called, “Are you okay?”


“I’m fine,” my voice was shaky and so I cleared my throat. My insides were trembling so hard I almost wet myself. “All I need is something to eat… and a cold beer!” I plopped myself onto the bed burying my face in my hands and I let out a groan.


“Rough day at work again?”


“Something like that,” I replied trying to take my mind away from what happened. “Do you have any cold ones, I’m exhausted.”


“Sure do,” he turned and opened the fridge and pulled out a canned beer and tossed it to me. “Hey, I noticed you didn’t have a bag of clothes when you came in. Did you forget or what?”


“No,” the beer hissed when I opened it. “My bag is at the truck, didn’t have time to load it.”


“You want to go for them?” Jack said while cupping up some soup. “I can fire up my snowmobile. I can sure use the fresh…”


“NO!” I cut in jumping up off the bed, “I mean, it’s not necessary, really; it can wait until tomorrow.”


“Boy, are you stressed.” Jack smirked at my reaction. “Relax will you, okay fine. We can wait until morning; you don’t have to freak out about it. What’s got your panties in a bunch?”


Mark came stumbling in the cabin and shut the door behind him, he looked out the windows quickly and he looked hysterical.

“Did you hear that?” he spluttered.


“Hear what?” Jack replied and continued to stir the pot.


“You didn’t hear those cries?” Mark’s hand cupped over the glass as he peered out. “Weirdest s**t I ever heard.”


“It could have been wolves you know.” Jack said.


“It wasn’t a wolf; I know what they sound like.” Mark turned to us. “Wolves… wolves don’t scream!”


“Oh for Christ sakes, would you knock it off. Enough of this horse s**t, it's not funny anymore.” I was fed up with their antics. “First of all, you toss some branch at me while I was pissing and now you’re rambling on about something screaming. Earth to Mark! Hello! Were in the wilderness maybe it was coyote!”


“Hey, f**k you!” he retorted and shoved me. “I know what I heard.”


“Okay, break it up you guys.” Jack stepped in between us, “Tossing a branch at you? We did no such thing.” he stated.


“Come on, quit it. The gag is over man and I’m tired.”


“Marcus, Mark and I were here the whole time. I swear.”


“Yeah, what he said.” Mark said. “And I tell you both on my mother’s grave. Something… something screamed out there. It sounded like… like an old woman.”


“You guys are really full of s**t you know that! And Mark, quit with this howling crap! I wasn’t born yesterday.” I was really annoyed.


“Well go check for yourself a*s face, if you don’t believe me.” Mark pointed toward the door.


I stood momentarily thinking whether I should or not. Those old stories ran through my head like a mad man before I mustered up the courage to prove him wrong. “Ok fine!” I shook my head at them and stepped toward the door, I held my breath and opened it.

The sound of wolves howling in the distance flowed in; I let out my air in relief and turned too look back at Mark. Jack then came and stood at the doorway listening as well.


“Well Mark,” Jack said. “Sure sounds like wolves howling to me.”


Mark scowled. “I know what I heard.” he mumbled and stormed for his rifle and then huffed past me with another shove as he went back outside.


“Damn wolves,” Jack said as he took a shot of a beer he had in his hand. “They sure can spook a guy sometimes. Can make you crazy, if you know what I mean. You must be f*****g tired to make up some jackass story like that, what were you thinking? You guys are getting cabin fever before the weekend starts.”


“I don’t know what to think, my mind is running wild okay. I’m sorry. Maybe I imagined the whole thing, with the snowfall and the wolves… never mind, I’m just tired, that’s all.” I pinched the bridge of my nose slumping into the den chair.


“Here.” Jack said as he poured soup into a cup and then gave it to me. “Drink up! Tomorrow comes early, get some rest; the snowfall we have tonight will draw those Elk out. They will leave fresh tracks for us to find them. And then, we will have us plenty of meat to share.”


I sat back and sipped my cup of soup, I chatted with Jack about my day to pass up the time. As the night progressed I began to feel tired and then I rested on the couch. My eyes were getting heavy and Jack’s voice began to slide away.



#



© 2013 lawrence bear


Author's Note

lawrence bear
what did you hear while reading this chapter.



Reviews

It shows you really put some thought into this:) And I am loving it so far:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Terrifying, this is very good.
definitely a page turner so far.
Your characters are quite interesting.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on January 14, 2013
Last Updated on January 14, 2013
Tags: mystery, thriller, suspense

Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear