BL - Five

BL - Five

A Chapter by lawrence bear
"

A terrifying encounter

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of BL - Five.



“Marcus… Marcus!” Jack said in a low voice as he shook me. “Wake up!”

      

“Yeah, yeah I’m up. I’m only resting my eyes.” my vision was blurry; I wiped my eyes as I tried to focus on him.

      

“How the hell can you sleep through this?” Mark muttered.

      

        I was startled by him holding his gun, “What the f**k is going on?” I sat up rubbing my eyes.

        “Sshh,” Jack put one hand on my shoulder and the other hand held one finger to his lips. “Keep it down.” His attention drew towards the ceiling listening for something.

        

And a few seconds later a loud thump was heard on the cabin roof, followed by a low rumbling growl then a snort, or a sniffing sound. I sat up right wide awake now as it seemed to scratch the walls as it rounded the cabin, Mark stood ready with his rifle. We looked at one another in shock as something was breathing hard outside, something big. It snorted again as it hit against the walls; within those seconds, it seemed like minutes as we sat in total bewilderment. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as it gave a bloodcurdling scream. It circled the cabin again grunting and growling. Then it banged against the cabin hard that made me leap off the couch as some stuff fell that hung on the wall. The fire was low and near out but the coals had lit the room dimly, I looked around following every bump it made on the cabin walls and then again a loud screech penetrated our ears and it thumped the wall hard that knocked over the book shelves.


Mark fired at the wall where he thought it might be on the opposite side. It hit the cabin hard again, almost like it was trying to break through the walls. Jack followed Mark’s response and began firing as well as it howled again. Several seconds passed and it wouldn’t stop, if anything, it would come right through the windows but it didn’t. I was terrified, I didn’t know what to do and I was frozen with fear. Soon the boys stopped and reloaded quickly, they stood ready again, waiting for what might come through the windows. But that rumbling growl seemed to have moved away from the cabin. When I came to my senses, I tried to search for my rifle, but my hands were shaking so hard from the ordeal, I barely was able to grab anything.

      

For a long while we listened for it before Mark had decided to venture outside, he looked to Jack for support. He aimed his rifle as Mark cautiously opened the door, both stood ready to shoot as the door flung open. I was terrified that this thing would come rushing out from the darkness towards us unexpectedly. But nothing like that happened, it was complete silence. Both Jack and Mark looked like a couple of Black Ops as they both went forth in formation, one scouting as the other was ready to pull the trigger. I stepped out from the cabin to watch them; I tried to gather my thoughts, having been awakened in the midst of something this terrible is enough to rattle ones brains. Was I dreaming? What the hell just happened? What the f**k was that? Whatever it was, it was a frightening moment. Jack shined his flashlight searching the bushes, but all we could see was the falling snow. Mark had gone off in the other direction of Jack and me. Jack investigated for footprints but couldn’t find one of what kind of animal it may have been. Mark whistled loudly and then hollered for us to come; we turned and ran to where he stood.

      

      “What is it?” Jack huffed.

      

“Look what we have here,” Mark shined his flashlight on the elk. “It took them.”

      

“Took what?” I asked as I stared at two elk rocking back and forth.


Jack turned and said to me, “We had four.” and then took two more steps ahead and shown his light around.

      

      Mark spotted a trail of blood and waved for us follow. The trail lead towards the forest, we followed to the bush line when Mark stopped and turned to us. “That’s funny,” as his head turned this way and that looking at the ground.


“What’s funny?” Jack said as he slung his rifle on his shoulder.


“There are no drag marks…” Mark paused momentarily before walking ahead a few more steps shining his light to one area. “What in the world would carry off…? You’re not going to believe this.” He turned and looked at us.

      

And there in the snow were a set of large foot prints, quite visible yet in spite to the large amount of snow that was falling.


“What the hell…!” Jack had said. I was dumbfounded.


Mark kneeled down examining it, and he put out his hand across it. The print dwarfed his hand. “You don’t suppose…”


“Don’t say it, don’t you f*****g dare say it.” Jack snapped.


Mark stood speechless; he then glanced at me with a slight smirk. I wanted to speak, I got as far as opening my mouth but nothing came out. The old grandfather’s tales told us, if you spoke its name, it will come or something like that. The thought of it alone made my skin crawl.


“Sh, sh, sh, shut up Mark,” my words finally fell out. “You remember what our grandfather’s said? Never speak of it… Wha, wha, Will it come back?” my voice was shaky.


“It came for supper once already, it may return for desert.” Mark said before turning his head toward the woods. “But ole’ Mavis will be waiting.” He pulled the level back and loaded his rifle.


“May!” I swallowed air. “So it might come back?”


“Hey, didn’t we promise it was going to be killer weekend.” Mark patted my shoulder with a smile and inhaled the night crisp air. “Ah, that thing left a stench we can be sure to smell when it appears again. And I thought you smelled bad.” He and Jack laughed.


I didn’t like the sound of Mark’s words, not one bit. I’m trying to keep from shitting myself and these f****r's are laughing, which made me all the more nervous.


It was going to be a long night…

#



© 2013 lawrence bear


Author's Note

lawrence bear
To be continued...



Reviews

Its going along nicely:) I'm really enjoying it so far:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


I so far really like it. I like the story line and the plot is rounding out rather nicely. I can't wait to read the rest. Will you please let me know when you post more? Thank you. I would like to finish it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on February 28, 2013
Last Updated on February 28, 2013
Tags: Thriller, Suspense, Mystery

Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear