The Lost Book, My Memories

The Lost Book, My Memories

A Chapter by Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse
"

I wrote this back in 2011 when I began writing, not my beast work but a very good idea, I started with romantic ideas yet twisting it with an idea of infinite life, hope you enjoy.

"

The Lost Book, My Memories

 

Rafael, the young man with a passion for literature, began a personal goal, to read all the books in the world. Poems, encyclopedias, essays, any type of literature. He wanted to become the first man to have read every book in the world. The 15-year-old boy meets his soul mate Rebecca, who had heard of his insane dare against literature and decides to challenge the boy with her own writing. Their friendship blossomed within the pages of books and writing, Rebecca refused to stop writing as she saw how Rafael accelerated his reading speed and skills.


As the years go by and the once middle school kids grew up, Rafael at the age of 26 was already ahead in books than new authors designing their blank pages with black symbols, he read in all languages and had many followers supporting his idea. His intelligence has increased and he felt superior to authors but his love life was just flourishing with the talented Rebecca. At 40 years of age, he was celebrating his 10th wedding anniversary with Rebecca, his goal was 1 year ahead of all new writing but Rebecca’s daily writing withheld him from boredom. One day when Rafael was enjoying the beach with his wife, he came across a newspaper and read along the lines of a title: “Writers End Competition.” The article mentioned his name and the names of many famous authors in a literature competition, a moment he has been waiting for. The writers were to come up with the Last Book of the world, one that surpassed any writing of the past or present as this book would live on for the rest of future.


Rafael was hungry for an innovating idea he had never come across, writers were discouraged of the monstrous Rafael reading their work as if it was garbage. The competition was announced in January and would be held in October of the same year, this gave the writers plenty of time to come up with an innovating idea to throw down Rafael’s title as the “Reading Demon.” The competition began and Rafael slaughtered the first batch of Eastern writers, their ideas have already been used, mythology, Hinduism, anime, and all other Eastern writing have already been pinned in his mind. The next month came along and the same thing happened with all Hispanic and Caribbean writers, their Novellas and Poetry just had no match for the supreme mind of Rafael, he became bored of this competition and in turn began to give the writers themselves ideas for their pitiful writing. The month of December came and the American writers have also submitted defeat against the Reading Demon Rafael concluding the competition and defeating the innovation of writing in its total. Rafael saw how the writer’s hopes and dreams crushed then and there, spiritless and hopeless the writers returned to their countries and gave up writing. The moment after the competition had finalized Rafael was driven to a hospital out of an overload of his brains capacity.


Rebecca cared for her husband through that year of recuperation and the day Rafael had recovered was the day he found out the truth. News crew were all over the hospital waiting for Rafael to come out and there the reporters began their questionings; “Authors refuse to write, Literature has become mute and writing has died.” They shouted as the old man walked out of the hospital. When Rafael heard those words it struck his heart and when he arrived home he stood up all night thinking of those words until an idea abrupt. He was going to revive writing through his own hands. He gathered the information he had stocked in his mind, old and new, and began to write his own books, his own story, poem, screenplay, in all genres of writing, he became the new face of literature. Little by little he drowned in his white oceans of pages and had no interest in any other writing, not even Rebecca’s. 74 years old and his relationship with Rebecca to has died, the old man was obsessed with writing and drowning all of those new writers trying to gasp for air. Rebecca would fall asleep next to his black stained paper as she too wrote in a white notebook she would always carry under her arm.


6 years pass and Rebecca suddenly falls into a hospital finally stopping the hypnotism cast on Rafael. He did nothing but tend to his beloved and saw how they fell in love once more. The years only drew death closer to Rebecca and Rafael felt a tremendous guilt inside, he was married to the wrong wife, literature. He tells his wife to write love notes as she used to do before but Rebecca had no more strength for it, Rafael would then guide her hand on the fresh blank pages to spill out their long lost years of love, Rebecca was happy. Months crept up until a reporter came storming into the hospital in search of the demon: “Rafael, Rafael! We have found a book you have never read!” his head turns to the reporter and his hand let go of Rebecca’s but then responded, “No! I have dedicated my whole life to the wrong marriage, now my days belong to my real wife.” Rebecca opens her faint eyes and recognizes the book, she tugs on Rafael’s black sweater and whispers “Read to me that book, one last time” Rafael grabs her hand and reaches for the book, a white book titled: “The Lost Book, My Memories” When was the last time I traveled in my memories? He asked himself. The author was none other than his wife Rebecca, he silently smiles at her and begins to read.


Page by page he sunk into the re-invented pages of memories, butterflies filled Rebeccas stomach as sparks were breathed by Rafael. He then came across the last chapter “Continuance.” Rafael paced his reading as there were only 20 pages left in the book, he felt horrible, the way he treated her and the most heart-stopping moment was at page 18,250; the equivalence of 50 years in marriage…


“And I still loved him, I felt the beating of his pencil searching against the paper. His caressing black inked words, his kissing sentences, his staring words. Making Love through his letters and having sex in every pause, my love never died but he would never feel my care for him. I would kiss his hands on his desk while he dreamt of magical ideas, I would caress him while his mind rested and his body stood awake, I loved him and I still love him.”


A fist of words went through Rafael’s heart and he stopped reading and locked himself in the bathroom leaving the book in the chair he was sitting in. 2 days goes by and the tears of Rafael finally stopped, he walked out and Rebecca pointed to the book, he shakes his head denying her request, he cried towards her and pounds on the chair. “Why, why did I do this to you?”  she pat his head and looked him in the eyes, he grabbed the book and slowly read the last 3 pages.


“My dear husband, this is not the end, my love will write to you even in heaven and this book will be our terrestrial part of our memories as you can see there are still pages left in blank and they will be filled with our heavenly memories, I love you and I wait for you to write the rest of our lives.” Page 22,814

                

Rafael looks at Rebecca with passionate eyes, his patient, and beautiful wife, and he kissed her for the first time in 55 years of marriage of absent love. Their lips detach and a smile follows through, a tear sheds out of both their eyes and turn into dust blown away by a rigorous wind driven into the clouds bursting rain; their eyes close and they slept buried in their never ending love.

        

        Their legend lived on in their book, “The Lost Book, My Memories.”  People have witnessed how words appeared in the pages as gold and then fade white into the white pool of page, more papers would be added by the book and everyone believed it was the heavenly writings of Rafael and Rebecca, their loving memories in heaven. The true unfinished book, My Memories. 



© 2017 Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse


Author's Note

Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse
its hasn't been reviewed, its an old writing I just desired to share, might review it in the future.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh this was touching read. Somehow, I felt Rafael's character is more like you are ;) Always hungry for innovative ideas, aren't you? :P
I loved the thought of an unfinished book with memories strewn across the pages. The romance in it was nice to read too.
This paragraph here was what I loved the most:

“And I still loved him, I felt the beating of his pencil searching against the paper. His caressing black inked words, his kissing sentences, his staring words. Making Love through his letters and having sex in every pause, my love never died but he would never feel my care for him. I would kiss his hands on his desk while he dreamt of magical ideas, I would caress him while his mind rested and his body stood awake, I loved him and I still love him.”

One of my favourite of yours, Sire :))

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

6 Years Ago

Ah, you have discovered my Love Collection. Yes, the words I used to write were before I even knew w.. read more
Dr. YumnaKay

6 Years Ago

Haha well love finds its way 😉😊
Memories can be the greatest story of ones life and a book that is written in heaven to be seen on Earth is just so beautiful! I believe that this is the most sad and beautiful story I have read yet! I cant wait to read more!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

7 Years Ago

They really are. You hold them forever
Reviewing our old writing is very important since it teaches us a lot of things about our writing. Old ideas can always be inspiration for new ideas. I really enjoyed this story, it is very interesting to see how a passion can become an obsession that can detach us from 'real life and love' around us.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

8 Years Ago

Yes exactly my point. I'm glad you realized that in the writing. I just wanted to teach people that .. read more
This was a great read and an interesting story! I enjoyed the pacing of this book and the very idea of it. It was quite romantic even though the "Reading Demon" lost sight of his true wife. I appreciated the fact that he realized his mistake before it was too late. I'll definitely be checking out your other pieces and I hope you'll check out a few of mine!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

8 Years Ago

I was kind of scared with this story since it's such an old writing of mine. But I'm glad someone fo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 19, 2016
Last Updated on March 25, 2017


Author

Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse
Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

Worcester, MA



About
My writing is strongly based on science, culture, myths and fantasy. I do enjoy poem writing but short stories are my passion, I am developing a few novels as well. I am looking for any critique that .. more..

Writing