Prince and Dragon ~Feat. Papaya~

Prince and Dragon ~Feat. Papaya~

A Chapter by Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse
"

This one goes out to Sir Curtis, a brave prince against a fierce dragon

"

Once upon a time there was a boy...

 

…a handsome little boy that lived in a little stone cottage with lots of trees in the yard.  Near a river, where he would go to swim and fish sometimes.   He liked doing all the usual things that boys his age do and appeared to be no different than any other boy his age, but he was.  There was something very special about this boy.  

 

You see, not long ago, the village in which he lived was being terrorized by a big fierce dragon.  It was a purple dragon with red eyes and a wingspan that was wider than the length of ten city buses!  And it breathed fire!

 

It happened one afternoon when the boy and his mother went out for a walk.  They went to visit the nearby pond where his mother liked to pick flowers and the boy liked playing PIRATES with his wooden sword in hand, bravely fighting against the mean marauders that threatened the Black sea.

 

The dragon that had been terrorizing their village spotted them and he swooped down to land in the water with a big HUGE splash that left both the mother and the boy soaking wet!  

 

Not many would dare challenge a beast of this size but this young boy was brave, and breathed fire with his eyes!

 

The dragon stood there in the pond, so big was he that the water was only as deep as his ankles!

He smiled at this brave Prince and a very mean laugh oooooozed from between his sharp teeth!  

 

“Are you looking to fight, little boy?  I dare you to strike a blow!”

 

Now, the boy was frightened of course.  Because who wouldn’t be frightened in the presence of such a fierce dragon?!?!   But still, he bravely stood his ground. He would protect his mother from this dragon and rid the village of him.

 

“This is MY land Dragon, and I came here to play, do not think to challenge me for I shall gladly slay any mean dragon who stands in my way.  Sir Dragon, it is time for you to go!”


The dragon huffed... the dragon puffed... and let out a long breath of fire into the pond, which made the water boil and bubble. He hoped to scare the young brave prince.  He puffed his chest out and flapped his wings.  He let out a loud howl. He flexed his muscles and jumped up and down.  He did all sorts of silly things, hoping to scare the young boy.


“Listen here boy, you are small and wee and I am a big dragon, in case you cannot see.  Do you really believe that YOU can scare ME?  What is this in your hands, it looks like a stick.  Is there no other weapon of which you may pick?”

 

The boy looked at the wooden sword held in his hand, and it did indeed look no bigger than a twig or a stick compared to the enormous size of the dragon.  He himself looked no bigger than a mouse compared to this menacing beast.  But still, the boy bravely held his ground.  He put his blade in his pants as a holster and spoke to the dragon.

 

“Brave men have scurried and children have run to hide but it shall end here today, this bullying of my kind.

I may have but a stick, and you may set me on fire, but I know a trick that will send you back to your spire.”


The dragon had no choice but to laugh and shout, rolling on his back to let more fire breathe out.  The fire he sprayed up into the cloud had turned the sky grey, but the boy stood tall and proud.  He was frightened of course, because who wouldn’t be if they are facing a big mean dragon!?!?!  But he remained brave.

 

 “Little boy, don’t look so mad, a grand old laugh I’ve never had. And here you stand squaring up to me, where others like you would surely flee."

 

The dragon laughed hard and continued.



“You have spunk young man and that I respect, what say you if we have a little test. To see if you can play the role of me and I can play a boy like thee. I’ll put on armor and swivel a stick while you play a dragon with neat little tricks.”

 

The boy was surprised at this and stared at the dragon, but he was up to the challenge and put on a purple armored vest and leather gauntlets with purple sails that were the same color as the dragon’s scales. 

 

He threw his sword in the air for the dragon to catch. And there the prince stretched out his arms to the sky to let out a big roar! 

 

I am a great Dragon!” he shouted as he flew about, the purple sails flapping like wings.

 

“Mr. Dragon you see, I can play a better dragon than thee, I have no real wings or a tail, but as a brave young prince I cannot fail.  For I have something special you see,  a world of imagination that lives inside me.”

 

“You think you can pretend to be like I, well look out from beyond the sky because there I will fly, down very quick and like a great dragon burn this stick that you hold in your hands.   Fear not though prince I will spare you from harm for I am a boy dragon filled with kindness and charm."

 

The boy began to jump from a tree stump pretending to fly down towards the dragon. The great beast covered and ducked just to hear the laughs from the boy, and decided to join the fun. With the wooden sword, he swung to fight off the prince.

 

"You play a great dragon boy, you do, but can you breathe fire like me too? The burning smoke which travels the air and doesn't leave out even the littlest of hair. Come attack if you will but I will strike with force, for I am the dragon who can play prince on a horse."

 

The boy then took out a bubble bottle and added a bright red color dye. He blew hard to let out a steam of red bubbles that made it look as though he were breathing fire. He had transformed himself into a fire breathing dragon!

 

The dragon was very impressed. 

 

“That’s mean as” he said to the boy. 

 

The dragon and boy were very quickly becoming friends.  They were very different, quite the opposite in many ways and yet they both had spirit, imagination and were both very kind and brave.  The boy discovered that dragon was not really terrorizing the village, he just wanted to visit the people to see what village life was like.

 

Dragons are rare creatures so the dragon often felt lonely, but the people always ran when they saw him flying overhead, fearing that he was there to burn the village and eat everyone. 

 

“But I’m a VEGETARIAN!!!”  The dragon said to the boy.

 

The boy laughed, because who on earth would have ever in a million years guessed that a dragon could be a vegetarian!

 

“Can I fly with you?” asked the boy.  “Can I climb onto your back and fly with you?”

 

The dragon thought about this for a moment. 

 

“It’s very dangerous” he said.  “You might fall and it’s a long way down.”

 

“I’ll hold on tight” said the boy.

 

“It’s cold up there” said the dragon.  

 

“I’ll wear my coat” said the boy.

 

“Oh, alright then” said the dragon.  “Hop on!”

 

The boy put on his warm coat and climbed up onto the back on the Dragon and up, Up, UP they went!   The boy was amazed at how big the world looked from up so high.  Down below everything looked so small.  He could see green hills, forests, he could see the vast ocean and the fishing boats out with nets cast.

 

The dragon flew over mountains, across valleys, he swooped down to a lake and swatted his tail and made big HUGE splashes.

 

The boy felt inspired.  “Let’s go back to the village!” he shouted.  They dragon flew the boy back home and touched down near the pond where they had left his mother picking flowers. 

 

No” said the boy.  “To the village, I have a plan.” 

 

The boy would show the villagers that his new friend was not the mean dragon they thought he was.

 

When they arrived in the village square, people scurried everywhere.

 

"Look above, it is the dragon, he came, run for your lives!  Our village he intends to claim!"

 

The villagers begin to run away in fear of the great beast. Until the boy hopped down and yelled for them to return.

 

"No, no, do not fear, the dragon has only come here, to show you how caring and nice he is, don’t run away because of the look of his."

 

The villagers then paused to listen to this brave boy and did indeed notice that the boy had befriended the dragon. The shy dragon, on this beautiful night stepped forward toward the villagers and began to breathe out fire. Some of the kids were scared but then saw the beautiful images the dragon painted with his fire. 

 

They were in awe, amazed, as they witnessed the great dragon spit fire towards the sky.   Explosions scattered across the sky in colorful colors, like fireworks. 

 

"Look how beautiful the light above, this fire and color I have never seen of, a dragon so fierce and friendly appears, and we have been terrified for so many years."

 

The villagers then laughed and asked the dragons to spit more fire into the sky just to watch the colors scatter through their eyes. They were no longer scared of the friendly dragon.

 

"You've done it -whispered the boy in cheer- I'm sure that of you they will no longer fear, it’s amazing the things that you can do, and I'm so glad I could be a friend for you."

 

The dragon let out a great gasp of joy and was glad that he could be friends with the boy, and as they look to the fire colors above, they found a growing friendship to be a part of.

 

And that is how it came to be, that fireworks were invented.  To honor the dragon and the boy, that had come together to unite man and beast, proving that there is always a chance to find joy and peace.



© 2017 Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse


Author's Note

Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse
Dedicated to Curtis and Ray, please enjoy my collab with Papaya

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You two did a great job. I think every boy dreams of finding a dragon.

“Mr. Dragon you see, I can play a better dragon than thee, I have no real wings or a tail, but as a brave young prince I cannot fail. For I have something special you see, a world of imagination that lives inside me.”

Several lines like this added great entertainment to the story. Witty, and not forced.

Nice collaboration. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

thx shy joe!!!!
Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

7 Years Ago

Thank you from the bottom of the heart. I appreciate you seeing the magic between the lines
What a magical tale. Very impressed by this writing. Great skill in weaving words like this and giving each of these characters such amazing mesmerising voice is an admirable quality in any writing. This is the 3rd time I've come across writing for this little guy. I hope he enjoyed it, I thought this was incredible. Congratulations to both writers. Izzy

Posted 7 Years Ago


Island Hippy

7 Years Ago

A pleasure, this was very memorable.
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Hi Island Hippy, thank you for the super comment!
Island Hippy

7 Years Ago

Aloha, you're welcome.
This is pretty damn awesome. I'd never have thought that the tale, mixed with rhyme could work so well, but now that I've read this, it's hard to see how it couldn't be written like this. The rhymes lead it into fairy tale and the story itself builds like an epic fable. Great job guys.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lorry

7 Years Ago

Yep, you are unique....but in a good way, not the "talk about yourself in the third person" way :) <.. read more
Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

7 Years Ago

Well, just wanted to drop in for a thank you.
Lorry

7 Years Ago

Thanks, and you're welcome. Superb writing.
This is amazing, you 2 really weaved a wonderful story together! & Im happy to hear that Curtis & Rach loved it just as well. Nicely written

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

thx so much ahsek, i'm happy they liked it too. :)
Kesha

7 Years Ago

You are welcome
Charming, fable you have created her. Simple story, but rich in detail and relationship. I love and can imagine the work that went into the dragons voice, which is engaging.

Well penned, especially as a collaboration.

Are you looking for ideas for improvement?

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

7 Years Ago

Improvement is always something good for stories. But you will have to consult Papaya and I through .. read more
what a wonderful, profound, youthful and hopeful journey you took us on here!
A masterful presentation. Big smiles!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

7 Years Ago

We both thank you. Papaya is an interesting writer. I would write forever with her
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Hey MP, I'll throw my thanks in here as well. Thank you for coming to read this story and leaving y.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Wonderful, what more to say apart from you have a beautiful heart....

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

7 Years Ago

When I write for children my heart tends to bloom towards such beautiful images
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

As do you Gee, you've written your own wonderful stories for the wee lad which we all enjoyed. Thank.. read more
This is a wonderful write! Full of creative ideas. I loved reading this. And the fact that the dragon was purple makes it more adorable to me.
Excellent work you both :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Thx YumnaKay, very kind of you.
Dr. YumnaKay

7 Years Ago

You're welcome! Unless you haven't checked your mail, we're already working together lol 😛😉
Dr. YumnaKay

7 Years Ago

Oh you're welcome, Papaya! It was a pleasure reading 😊
I thought I'd add my two cents since my Prince is gone off to wonderland. Thanks a bunch, you wrote a pretty epic tale. He really enjoyed it but I think he expressed that fairly well.
Thank you for the thought, effort, the imagination and magic, this made me a tad emotional we have had a dragon in our lives for sometime but this was so lovely to read. With a thank you that speaks a thousands words. Ngā mihi aroha ki a kōrua . My love and deepest appreciation to you both. R xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

You are welcome Rach, I am really glad that he liked it.
xxoo
Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

7 Years Ago

Everything seems a lot better when we dive into stories. Thank you Ray

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2633 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 1, 2017
Last Updated on May 12, 2017


Author

Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse
Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

Worcester, MA



About
My writing is strongly based on science, culture, myths and fantasy. I do enjoy poem writing but short stories are my passion, I am developing a few novels as well. I am looking for any critique that .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


25 to Life 25 to Life

A Poem by BBP


For Sabrina For Sabrina

A Poem by BBP


Mindset Mindset

A Poem by WittyWonka


Haiku #16 Haiku #16

A Poem by mattavelli


64 64

A Poem by Lydia Shutter