Chapter 1. Myths

Chapter 1. Myths

A Chapter by Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

Silver Wings 

 

 

Scene 1: Myths 

One special night, at the annual tribe celebration, the grass tribe birds were around the campfire listening to the stories of their great Master Lowy. The young mind hungry birds were attentively listening to the Laughing Owl’s great adventure. Of all the tropical birds up top the trees, the Marvelous Spatuletail Humming Bird was being inspired by the mythical legend. 

 

“Long ago, there was a time where the Sun and Moon bird lived here on Earth with their 4 children, Prince’s Amp and Binesi , and Princess’s Nube and Adarna. They ruled over the vast newly created Earth, but there was this one jealous tribe who didn’t really like any of the other birds, the Shadow Birds. It wasn’t the shadow birds that really gave all the other primitive tribes the chills, it was their leader, Black Feather!” Master Lowy flaps his wings and the gasps of the children filled the smoky air.  

“What happens next?” A small kakapo squawks 

“Well… (Master Lowy adjusts his reading glasses) Black feather found a way to lock all of the ancient royal birds, all but one. The only one that managed to escape the curse of Black Feather was the Cloud Bird, Princes Nube! She was the only one to witness where all of the birds were hidden off and recorded it in a black book (the owl waves the book in his hand). Even if she did know where they were, she was not able to free them.”  

“Why Master? Why didn’t she help her family?” the baby Honduran Emerald chirps. 

The owl begins to laugh. “Its not that she didn’t help, its that she was unable to help, because she is of royal blood, inhibiting to set free her family. But, maybe one of you can…”  

There was a silence and the birds begin to look and whisper to each other. 

“…Nube is still flying around waiting for the brave bird to help her in her journey.” 

Is it true? Can she still be around? Who will do it?” 

“None sense!” Shouted a Palila, “we are the only birds here.” They all chanted after the bird and continued their celebration, the curious little humming bird followed the Owl back to the Tree. 

“Master Lowy!” shouts the bird. 

Master Lowy turns his head 180 degrees to the back and spots the little blue bird. The Owl’s eyes broaden at her sight and he begins to laugh.  

“Why, hello there little lady, I’m guessing you are a brave one aren’t you?” he giggles and turns his head back forward, “follow me little one.” The Owl enters the great black tree through a hole.  

The scared little bird followed cautiously through the vine covered hole, when inside she saw a bright light that sheeted over a book case, the giant white owl was searching through it. 

Oh little black book, where could you be? The Owl hummed reaching the top of the book shelf. Then a black dusty book fell from the top and landed at the little birds feet wide open 

She stood and looked at the old wrinkled page in the book, it had burn marks on the edge of the pages and a beautiful picture of a white Caladrius captured her eyes. The owl comes over and picks up the book and as he is glancing over it a tear fell off his eye.  

“What’s wrong Master Lowy?” the humming bird asked pulling on his great white wings. 

Master Lowy scuffles and answers in a scratchy voice. “I was there.” He tried to control his feelings, “I was their best friend, I was one of their royal knights, I took Nube’s journal to try and find a bird who would deem braver than me.” The Owl hung his head in shame. “that Black Feather was too powerful for me, but I am sue that you will be brave enough to face him. What is your name by the way?” 

The humming bird proudly adjusted her posture and let out with a valiant voice: “Melody, my name is Melody and I am a Marvelous Spatuletail Hummingbird!”  

The owl laughed and then looked at Melody with his huge yellow eyes and asked: “Are you ready for the most fearsome adventure you will ever encounter?”  

The little blue humming bird swallowed her fear and proudly said: “Yes! I believe Nube is still out there and I will help her find her family and get rid of that spineless Black Feather.”  

The Owl shook his feathers and handed over the black book, he lifted his head and proclaimed. “I deed you, worthy of being a knight for the royal family.” The Laughing Owl let out a big smile and then told Melody a very important thing: “You are not the only brave little bird to want to help Nube. Down at the water tribe there are 2 very courageous birds, look for them and go help find the royal family.” Master Lowy hands her a picture and there she saw a handsome Dive Bird of the water tribe and turns away.  

“Wait, -Master Lowy stops in his tracks- why don’t come with me? Don’t you think Nube would be glad to see you again?” young Melody held on to his wing. Master Lowy grins and once again turns only his head to look at Melody. “I want you to guide me, you used to be a great knight, and who would be better for this quest than you?” 

Master Lowy laughs, “Oh silly girl, I am too old for adventures, but you are young enough to take on any rush of wind blown at you, now go and make all of the birds proud. But remember, stay away from Black Feather!”  

With that a huge gust blows her out of the Tree and landed out onto the branches of excitement. She looks out to the strange world and takes one last glance at the beautiful Caladrius carved on the page. “I will find you, and I will set free the royal bird family.” She closed the journal and noticed its title written in silver, Silver Wings.  

She straps the book onto her back, looks around, and notices how the other birds were still celebrating the tribe festival. The little bird flew and flew across the grass tribe’s land searching for the hidden water tribe. Two days have passed and she constantly searched, it wasn’t until the next day that she happened to stumble across a flock of birds flying right in front of her eyes.  

“Hey! Do any of you know how to get to the water tribe?” She shouted waving her wings at them trying to move the clouds out of her way. 

The birds didn’t seem to respond, but then something strange happened, the birds began to dive from the air, Melody saw it as an opportunity and followed the birds down. She dived through various layers of clouds until she saw cloud like objects on the ground. It was glaciers all over, the chilly wind welcomed her to the unknown water tribe, but she then witnessed something that scared her. The bird were about to crash into the waters, but birds cant swim!  

“Turn back! You’re going to crash into the Ocean, you’re going to drown!” the birds looked at each other confused and keep descending towards the ocean, and then, SPLASH! The birds dived into the waters and the courageous humming bird felt as her duty to save them. Slamming into the water she couldn’t move at all and saw how the other birds could freely move within the water, a brave bird took her out of the water for her to breathe. Gasping for air, the other bird quickly began to try to help her up.  

“Why didn’t you fly? The Dive bird asked her.  

She looked and saw a tall bird with blue shielded wings, just like in the picture. “Who are you?” Melody asks looking at her savior. 

“I am Aqua, a dive bird from the water tribe, the real question is, who are YOU?” 

Melody stands up and puffs out her chest. “I am a royal knight and I am going to save the royal bird family.”  

Aqua’s eyes broaden and shakes his head. “Finally the last knight needed to search for the long known myth, but you look too young, and you’re a girl…” the dive bird circles around the humming bird, investigating details about her.  

“Aren’t you skeptical! Master Lowy has deemed me worthy! Now can I join or not?” Melody stretches her wing to Aqua. Aqua stares at her in relief and then shakes her wing slipping a wink of agreement.  

Welcome to the crew.” He grins. 

 

 



© 2017 Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on May 13, 2017
Last Updated on May 13, 2017


Author

Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse
Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

Worcester, MA



About
My writing is strongly based on science, culture, myths and fantasy. I do enjoy poem writing but short stories are my passion, I am developing a few novels as well. I am looking for any critique that .. more..

Writing