Be the Beginning to my End

Be the Beginning to my End

A Story by shiloh jennings
"

written for a contest .. only the ending is mine... 8:59pm August 8, 2008

"

 

[[ the beginning:  Copyright ©2008 Anorin Arssinous ]]




"Do you dream of me?" asked the young Queen. But there was no reply. The crisp winter air gently danced in through the open balcony and into her long, curly hair. The Queen walked away from the balcony and layed down in her bed. She asked again, "Do you dream of me?" This time, tears slowly escaped from her eyes and rested on her silk pillow.

A voice from behind finally spoke and cracked the tired silence in the chamber.

"I dream of you." The Queen heard the voice say as it came closer to her, her back still turned to it.
"I dream of you." When the Queen turned to face him a few moments after, there was no one there. Just the drapes flowing in the wind and her reflection in the mirror looking back at her....mocking her.


[[ the ending: by yours truly!! ]]

"Why must you always come this way?" She wanted to scream the words, to throw each syllable into the wind like a bolt of lighting through the heavens.  Instead the Queen murmured her question back into the room, as though she were asking her reflection in the mirror.

"Will we ever be more than one another's dream? Can we ever touch?" she asked, knowing the likelihood of response was nil.

The Queen closed her eyes tight as she ran both of her hands up her own torso, from beneath her rib-cage, up over her breasts and against her throat, crossing her arms against her chest and hugging herself tight.  She longed to be touched. She longed to know it was real, to know that her emotions existed beyond her own imagination; she longed for substance.  The Queen sought any means of affirmation that she was not merely losing her mind.

As though he'd read her thoughts, a hand caressed the flesh of her cheek.  Her eyes instantly flew open.  Nothing.

Always the same.  Always nothing.

She couldn't take it any longer.

The Queen stood and briskly walked back onto the balcony.  She climbed the rail and without another moment to think it through, she thrust her body across the threshold, towards the crashing winter surf and the razor-edged rocks below.

Twisting in mid air, the Queen looked up towards her window and gasped. There he stood, watching her descent; her lover but a moment too late.

© 2008 shiloh jennings


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

In the real world my new friend, fairy tales do exist. Not always the happily ever after kind but they exist nonetheless. This one plays out too many times and too often the players don't even know they are in it.
They become so used to the "Always the same. Always nothing." it becomes the norm. They forget they believe in, and want the happily ever after. So Sad. So well put here. The only missing thought here , and perhaps the saddest of all, (gee...wonder how I know this?) is the lover who comes to the rescue too soon, before the Queen is ready to be loved.

I am one who has played both parts and lost, and the good news is...Chivalry is not dead, as long as the Queen isn't either...

Great read-and thought provoking, as you may have gathered. Thanks

Posted 15 Years Ago


awesome!

Posted 15 Years Ago


All I have to say is oh my God. Your imagery is beautiful and the story flowed seamlessly from mine to yours. And that was very important. I'm thinking about having the winner finish their story and making it longer than 1,000 words. So, if I were you, just in case, I would start thinking of more things to write. You have a good chance.

Posted 15 Years Ago


There's such a yearning going on in the heart of the Queen ... though it sure would have been nice to know more about the mysterious lover of hers appearing at her window the way he did.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
4 Reviews
Added on August 8, 2008
Last Updated on August 8, 2008

Author

shiloh jennings
shiloh jennings

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada



About
~//:* I am me, no more, no less. *://~ The film has started. The first scene is of a young woman. She is tall, perhaps 5'10". Her long dark hair falls over her shoulders in a cascade of natural cur.. more..

Writing