A Beautiful Evening

A Beautiful Evening

A Story by Volker

This place…

I slowly lowered my body onto the sand, listening regretfully to the protests of my joints.  I looked to the horizon.  The sun had already lowered its head, casting yellows and reds into the autumn sky.  What a beautiful evening.

With that thought, the first tear dropped.

My face fell to my hands as the sadness I’d held in for so long flowed from my eyes.  Each breath came as a gasp as my body collapsed upon itself.  The ocean waves reached to me in comfort, but its gesture remained unnoticed.

The memories came back in a torrent of images, each more painful than the last.  I could see her eyes, those compassionate eyes that warmed my heart every time I stared into them.  I remembered the soft scent of shampoo in her hair as I kissed her forehead, the sound of her voice as she said those words I now longed to hear from her once more, the feel of her breath against my ear as she whispered to me.

Why did I come back here?

The sky had already closed its eyes for the night before I could raise my head once more.   I wiped the remaining tears from my eyes and gazed at the navy blanket before me, glimmering like satin under the moon’s light.

My hand grabbed a handful of sand and let it gradually fall away.

She’d always loved this place.  She always seemed happiest walking along the shoreline, the water swirling around her bare feet.  She used to talk about moving here, building a house right on the beach.  We’d been saving…

Tears welled in my eyes once more as guilt clawed new wounds into my heart.

How cruel life is, that a single moment of passion would take her from me.  Our first night together as one that would lead to her demise, and those nine months of blissful ignorance of the agony to come.  What had I done wrong?  Why had God stolen her from me?

My thoughts turned to the infant lying in its cradle.  My daughter.  The only thing left of the beautiful woman I once called my wife.

I smiled faintly.

She had her eyes.

I brushed some newfallen wetness from my cheek and rose, beating at the sand clinging to my pants.  I took one last look at the night sky.  Then I turned and began the trek to my car.

It really was such a beautiful evening.

© 2013 Volker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

So sad to lose the love of your life during childbirth and have to go through the misery while realizing that you now have a dughter that needs your love and attention. Your friend in words, Pete

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
1 Review
Added on September 25, 2013
Last Updated on September 25, 2013
Tags: loss, sadness, hardship, childbirth, death

Author

Volker
Volker

VA



About
I started writing at a very young age. In fact, for most of my life, I wanted to be a novelist as my primary profession. Even when my interests changed as to my major career path, I never gave up my.. more..

Writing
Sleep Sleep

A Poem by Volker


Desperation Desperation

A Poem by Volker