Whispers()

Whispers()

A Story by Zebrial J. Gossage
"

How far can the guilt take you? Or is it really guilt at all?

"

WHISPERS- wrote this in a couple hours.

 

BY ZEBRIAL J. GOSSAGE

Jeremy Deval was twenty one when the mysterious events began to take place. It was summertime. Hell, Michigan was always nice in the summer. People were out fishing, camping, and having a good time. Jeremy and his friends were drinking at the bar in town. The five of them were all right at the counter drinking beer after beer. Jeremy stood about 5 foot 11, he was fairly skinny, but girls liked his abs, he hadn’t done a sit up in his life but he was skinny and his abs showed very well. Ann, Jeremy’s girlfriend, was a beautiful young lady. She had blue eyes and brown hair. The perfect figure. Jeremy was lucky to have her. Ricky was the a*****e of the group. He stood about 5 foot 9 and weighed in at about 185 pounds. He was built but very self centered. He would get into a lot of bar fights.

Ronnie was the soft hearted one of the group. He was average sized and had blonde hair. His girlfriend Bambi meant the world to him. She had eyes like the stars and a voice that sounded of the ocean, soft and sweet. They had been together for a very long time. Longer than Jeremy and Ann. Ronnie and Bambi had been together since freshman year in high school. Nothing ever parted them. They didn’t see how couples had such a hard time staying together.

The night went on and Ricky was fairly drunk. An old man across the bar with beady brown eyes was staring at him. He stood up and walked over to the man and stared him in his beady eyes.

“You got a problem sir?” Ricky asked in a cocky voice.

“No.” The man looked down at his feet. He seemed nervous.

“Well then quit staring at me.” Ricky slurred in a drunken tone, but the man understood him.

“Okay…. P***y.” The man mumbled. Jeremy and Ann approached Ricky, knowing what was about to happen. They grabbed him and drug him back to his barstool. Jeremy watched the man from behind. The man stood up and headed for the door. He was creepy. He kept glancing back at the group. He walked out the door still looking back at them.

The group finished up the night with one last beer. They toasted to friendship and decided it was time to call it a night. The two couples held hands and headed for the door, Ricky was leading. He was still fired up from the man in the bar. They got to Ann’s car they all rode in and Ricky noticed the old man was staring at them from a far.

“What the f**k, there’s that creep again.” Ricky stated. Walking toward him.

“Hey f**k stick you want to do something?” Ricky yelled getting closer. The old man withdrew a knife and sliced Ricky’s arm. Ricky fell to the ground and the old man jumped on top of him. Ricky held the mans arm with force, hoping to keep from getting cut again.

“Ricky!” Ann and Bambi yelled. The four of them got out the car to help their friend. Ronnie kicked the old man in the face, causing him to roll off of Ricky. Jeremy grabbed the knife.

“Help me up bro.” Ricky said. Jeremy held out his hand and helped Ricky up.

“Thanks.” Said Ricky. Looking down at the old man.

“You piece of s**t!” Ricky yelled at the man, kicking him in the stomach. The old man gasped for air. He sounded like a smoker for sure. Ricky grabbed the knife from Jeremy and stabbed the old man in the back twice.

“What the f**k are you doing?” Jeremy yelled, pushing Ricky away from the old man.

“That piece of s**t cut me.” Ricky stated.

“So you killed him?” Jeremy asked getting on his knees checking the old mans pulse.

“He isn’t dead.” Ricky said, realizing he had done a terrible thing.

“He has no pulse.” Jeremy said. The girls began to cry.

“We’re going back to the car.” Ann said, grabbing Bambi’s hand and pulling her away with her. They got back in the car and waited.

“I can’t believe this s**t.” Ann said.

“I know. Ricky is such a psycho.” Replied Bambi. They heard the trunk open and noticed the boys were carrying the mans body. Ann got out of the car.

“What the f**k are you guys doing?” She yelled.

“We have to bury the body. We will all be in deep s**t if we don’t.” Ricky said.

“Not if we explain to the police. Are you out of your mind?”

“Shut your mouth! My grandparents are gone for the summer. They have acres of wood out on their farm, it’s ten minutes from here. We’re burying this man in those woods. End of story. If you don’t like it maybe you can join the old man.” Ricky said angrily. Ann rolled her eyes and got back in the drivers seat. Once the man was in the trunk they drove away.

They drove to Ricky’s grandparents house ten minutes out of town. It was a huge farmland. Behind the house was a s**t ton of wooded area. The boys got out of the car and grabbed a couple shovels out of Ricky’s grandfathers garage and the body out of the trunk. They headed deep into the woods to bury him. They didn’t want anybody to ever find him. The girls stayed in the car. They wanted no partake in the incident.

They began to dig a deep hole for the man. It reached about three feet in the ground and they decided it would be enough.

“Should we check his wallet?” Ronnie asked. Ricky grabbed the wallet out of the mans pocket.

“Gary Greymon is the mans name. He’s a broke f****r out of Michigan. No cash.” Ricky threw the wallet in the hole. He grabbed the feet of the man while Jeremy and Ronnie grabbed an arm. They threw his body down in the hole and began to cover him up with dirt. The hole was filled much quicker than it was dug.

They got back to the car and Ricky put the shovels back in the garage. Jeremy sat in the back because Ann was pissed at him. The boys were uncomfortable as s**t in the back. Ricky was being a baby about it the whole ride home.

“You two girls better promise me you’ll never say a word to anybody about any of this.” Ricky kept saying.

“We promise.” Ann said in a dull voice for the fifth time. She just wanted him to shut up.

Ann dropped him off first. She was sick of his whining. He lived with his mother in a huge white house. His father was dead and his mother was real old so it was pretty much his own house.

“You all promised.” Ricky stated, stumbling away into his house.

Next Ann dropped Bambi and Ronnie off. She hugged Bambi. Bambi was her best friend since grade school, and Ronnie was Jeremy’s best friend since Highschool. This made it easier for the four of them to hang out. Ricky always invited himself to hang with the four of them. Ronnie and Jeremy were the only two who could really stand him. But the girls put up with his nonsense. The four of them said their goodbyes then Ann took off. Jeremy stayed in the back seat till they got home. Ann got out and walked inside, not even looking at Jeremy. The rest of the night was bland and quiet. She let Jeremy sleep in the bed but he didn’t get his rocks off like he normally would have. They both fell asleep facing opposite directions. But by morning they were cuddled in each others arms.

The next morning Ricky woke up to a knock on the door. He stood up and rubbed his head. He had a major hangover. He answered the door and nobody was outside. It was a package for his mother.

“Seriously I got up for this.” He picked up and shut the door. He sat the package on the table and looked up at a clock. It was nine in the morning.

“Mom, there’s a package for you!” He yelled. Nobody answered. He noticed a note by the package.

“Gone to church. Love mom.” The note read. He went back to his room and laid on his bed. He covered his eyes with his forearm to block the light.

“You….” He heard whispered from the other room. He sat up and listened closer. He heard nothing but silence.

“Hello?” He yelled.

“Who the f**k’s out there. I will ring your neck.” He stood up and slipped his shoes on. He walked out of his room and saw nothing. Not a trace of life anywhere. But he felt a cold chill. Something didn’t seem right. A loud shushing whisper began to fill his ears. He began to squeeze his head and scream. It was deafening, the sound, the whisper. He picked up a phone and dialed 911.

“911 what is your emergency?” The voice on the line answered.

“Hello?” Jeremy Yelled. “Hello!” He yelled again. He couldn’t hear over the noise. He slammed the phone down and fell to the ground. He was panting. The Whispers were exhausting him. At last there was silence…. He took a deep breath and stood up. He walked into the bathroom to throw some water on his face. After he did so he looked up and the man he had seen in the bar, the man he had killed, the man who he had buried, was standing right beside him.

“You!” The man in the mirror screamed. Ricky fell to the ground. The man tied a belt around Ricky’s neck and hung him from the shower. As Ricky faded the loud scream did as well.

 

Jeremy and Ann woke up to the sun beating down on their faces. It was a beautiful day out. They had no idea that their friend Ricky was lifeless. Jeremy gave Ann a big kiss on the lips.

“You feeling better?“ He asked. Ann smiled and nodded. They got up and both walked to the kitchen in their pajamas. Ann made them both breakfast. Scrambled eggs and toast. It was delicious.

After they finished eating Ann began to cleanup the kitchen. Jeremy sat down in his chair and turned the TV on to see what was going on in the world. A news reporter was standing with a picture of a man. But not just any man. The man they had killed the night before.

“Ann look!” Jeremy said. Ann paused and fell into shock. The reporter carried on.

“Nobody is quite sure the last time Gary Greymon was seen but they believe it was at the local pub in Hell, Michigan. But nobody is quite sure. If you can give us anymore information on Gary Greymon please call 1899392948.” Jeremy shut the TV off.

“Holy s**t.” Was all Jeremy could say.

“What do we do?”

“What do you mean what do we do? We keep our mouths shut like we promised.” Jeremy answered. Ann sighed and continued cleaning.

The phone began to ring and Jeremy looked up at Ann.

“That’s probably one of the gang calling to see if we saw the news. Imagine that.” Jeremy grabbed the phone.

“Hello?” Jeremy asked. Ann listened in but couldn’t hear the person on the other line.

“Oh no…” Jeremy said, looking upset.

“What?” Ann interrupted. Jeremy put his hand up in halt.

“Okay thank you very much..” Jeremy hung up the phone in shock.

“What happened?” Ann asked again, getting closer to Jeremy.

“Ricky hung himself.” He put his hand over his mouth. Ann began to shake as she grabbed hold of Jeremy’s hand. They hugged each other and soaked in the loss.

Two days later people gathered outside at the gravesite for Ricky’s funeral. It was a late afternoon. Lots of people showed up. His mother cried like no other. Everyone walked in a line and hugged her and apologized for her loss. It was such a tragedy. Ronnie and Bambi stood across from Jeremy and Ann. They looked at each other with guilt and discomfort. They had a gut feeling Ricky killed himself out of guilt for the man at the bar. The four of them decided to meet up after the funeral for some drinks and to discuss Ricky’s untimely death. They met at Jeremy and Ann’s house. They sat in the living room on the two couches that sat in front of the big screen. Jeremy had a lot of money he inherited after his mother and father died in a car accident. He had over a million dollars, but only kept enough out of the bank to get him by.

They were drinking some expensive wine Jeremy had cooled in the freezer that morning. It was a strawberry flavor and tasted delicious but was very potent.

“They said Ricky made a phone call to the police and he was yelling, as if he couldn’t hear them.” Ronnie said.

“Couldn’t hear them? What was he saying?” Jeremy asked.

“Hello is all they heard him say. It’s a mystery.” Ronnie answered.

“It’s like someone was covering his ears.” Bambi interrupted. Jeremy looked down at his feet. He had no idea what to say. The whole room sat silent. Ann sat thinking to herself. Something wasn’t right.

“Do you think maybe something was haunting him?” She asked out into the silence. Ronnie laughed.

“No really. I heard that if you kill someone and bury them somewhere unholy then they will not crossover.”

“And I’m the king of the world.” Ronnie chuckled, sipping his wine.

“It’s just a thought.’ Ann said.

“Ricky killed himself, end of story. We’re heading home. This is getting nowhere. I didn‘t come here to hear ghost stories.” Ronnie said standing up. He pulled a hooded shirt over his nice funeral wear.

“See you guys tomorrow.” They all said. Ann finished her glass of wine and hugged Jeremy.

“I love you.” She said.

“I love you too.” He replied. They made their way into the bedroom for some love making and then found themselves asleep earlier than the chickens.

 

Ronnie and Bambi got home at sundown. They were a little buzzed off the wine but not that bad. They began to kiss each other and try to forget about Ricky. They made it into the bedroom and did their business.

“I’m going to get a shower.” Ronnie stated.

“Okay babe.” Bambi said laying down on the bed , exhausted. Ronnie headed out of the bedroom and into the bathroom. He got in the shower and began washing himself. First his hair then his body. It was his routine. He began to hear a knocking on the door.

“What is it baby?”

“You….” A whisper came from out of the shower. Ronnie opened the shower curtain and saw nobody out in the bathroom. He figured it was just the wind outside.

“You…” He heard again.

“What the f**k.” He said, turning the water in the shower off, but it didn’t shut off. Instead the water begin to flood the tub. Nothing was clogging the drain but water still collected. Ronnie stuck his hand down the drain in hopes to unclog it, but it didn’t work. He opened up the shower curtain and saw Gary Greymon right before him.

“How the hell?” He asked himself confused.

“You!” Gary pointed, knocking Ronnie into the bathtub. Ronnie’s head hit the tub causing a blackout. Ronnie was out cold, but for the worst part the water was over his head. In a matter of seconds Ronnie was dead. The water stopped. The tub emptied. The man that was supposed to be dead disappeared.

Back in the bedroom Bambi watched television. She looked at the clock realizing Ronnie had been in the shower for along time. She stood up and walked into the bathroom to check on him. What she saw was terrible. She tried to scream but nothing came out. Her heart dropped to her stomach. Two seconds went by before the sound of her scream caught up with her yelling. The whole house filled with her cry. It sounded like she had been watching the entire murder over again. She fell to her knees. She didn’t know what to do. She was helpless. A hand touched her shoulder. She looked up and saw Gary standing above her. She backed away in fear and confusion. His face was decaying his eyes were blank. She was staring death in the face. She thought to herself to fight but she was in to much shock. She let Gary kill her. He tied a chain around her neck and hung her up in the shower right over Ronnie’s dead body. Death had did them part…

At the next funeral Jeremy and Ann felt some dejavu. They were completely shocked and knew that it wasn’t just a coincidence three of their friends committed suicide. After the funerals they said their goodbyes and headed home.

“I think we should go to the police.” Ann insisted.

“I think you’re right.” Jeremy agreed. They Called the police and an officer was sent to their home right away. They lead him to Ricky’s grandfathers farm. When they go the grave site it had been dug up.

“I have no idea what the hell, or how…” Jeremy paused. He looked at the empty hole and had a gut feeling the man was still alive.

“Next time you kids want to pull a prank make it a little more real.” The officer headed back to his car. Ann hugged Jeremy.

“Where do you think his body went.” She asked.

“I don’t know.” Jeremy answered shaking.

Next they headed to an occult visionary for some advice. The lady was young and very pretty, you wouldn’t find this very often in divinity.

“My name is Madam Alavwa. What are you seeking?” she asked Jeremy and Ann. They were still a bit shook up about the empty grave site.

“This is a long story but we think maybe you could help us.” Jeremy stated.

“No story is to long for me. I’m only here to help.” She replied politely. Jeremy took a deep breath and began to explain everything. After he was through even Alavwa was in shock.

“Sounds to me like you got a great problem. I’m going to give you this medallion. It symbolizes the great beyond. From the sounds of it you will be meeting with the spirit very soon. Just point this up and read this.” She pulled a piece of paper out and wrote something on it. She handed the medallion and the piece of paper to Jeremy. He put them both in his pocket and pulled out his wallet.

“How much?” He asked.

“For free. Trust me you’ will be needing it. I wont accept your money when it comes to a life or death situation.”

“Thank you.” Ann said, pushing Jeremy toward the door. They headed home and looked at the medallion and the paper.

“For the fire burns no more, you shall walk no more. Sleep and rest in peace. So mote it be.” Ann read aloud.

“This is ridiculous.” Jeremy stated.

“Is our friends being dead ridiculous?” Ann said, she looked like a mess. Jeremy gave her a big hug.

The rest of the evening was quiet. They sat in their room waiting for the spirit but nothing happened. They found each other asleep in each others arms. Everything was normal. Until the clock struck midnight.

“you..” Jeremy woke to a whisper. He sat up and looked around. Nothing was their but Ann sleeping peacefully.

“You…” He heard again coming from the other room. He looked down at Ann.

“Ann.” He woke her.

“What dear.”

“Shh… You hear that?” He asked.

“YOU!” A real loud scream came from the other room. But Ann couldn’t hear it, only Jeremy could. He began to cover his ears.

“What the hell is wrong?” Ann asked in panic.

“I can hear the whispers, the mans voice.”

The Spirit of Gary Greymon forced the bedroom door open. Jeremy could see the demon, but Ann couldn’t. She just saw the door fling open and a gust of wind come from nowhere. Jeremy was lifted and pinned against the wall.

“Jeremy!” Ann yelled, grabbing the medallion and piece of paper. She was shaking. She stood up and stared Jeremy in the eyes, he looked like he was about to pop. She held up the medallion at the invisible force.

“For the fire burns no more, you shall walk no more. Sleep and rest in peace you demon. So mote it be!” Ann yelled. The medallion began to shake, as well as the house, it fell from her hands to the floor. Jeremy fell to the ground as well. Once the medallion stopped shaking, the house did too. She stood still for moments to make sure everything was okay, and it was.

“Are you okay?” Ann asked, helping Jeremy back to his feet.

“Yeah, you couldn’t see that thing?” Jeremy asked.

“No, what did it look like.”

“Lucky you, it was ugly.” Jeremy put on his shoes and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Ann asked.

“To see if the bodies back in the hole.” He answered. Ann threw her shoes on as well. They got out to the car and drove out to the farm. Ricky’s grandfather had just gotten home from vacation and was outside.

“What are you kids doing out here?” He asked.

“We just got to check for a body, the police are on their way.” Jeremy said, leading Ann and Ricky’s grandpa to the gravesite. The hole was filled in.

“Yes, it’s there.” Jeremy cheered.

“What the hell is this?” Ricky’s grandpa asked.

“It’s a dead body, your grandson…”

“Where’s my grandson?”

“He’s….” Jeremy paused.

“Oh, you haven’t heard? Ricky’s dead.”

The old man looked down at the ground and began to tear up. Police and an ambulance circled around them. Lights were going crazy. Everything was explained to Ricky’s grandpa shortly after. The body was dug up and identified. It was Gary Greymon. The nightmare had begun right at that gravesite and that’s where it ended as well. Nobody ever quite understood what happened during those events but they got as much information as they could. Everything was reported as accidents and left at that. Ann and Jeremy moved out of town and moved on. They hoped to forget the massacre. But it would be something that would terrorize them forever.

THE END

© 2011 Zebrial J. Gossage


Author's Note

Zebrial J. Gossage
Sorry it's kind of short but a good story if i do say so myself. lol.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
Added on October 28, 2011
Last Updated on October 28, 2011
Tags: death, horror, whispers, zebrial j. gossage

Author

Zebrial J. Gossage
Zebrial J. Gossage

Galesburg, IL



About
I am nineteen years old out of southern Illinois. I've written one published book and have written a number of short stories. I also have alot of poetry AND I play music. My life story so far is pret.. more..

Writing