Chapter II

Chapter II

A Chapter by zachf
"

The story continues as Illudinevar takes Vashti to begin her training.

"
The rays of the sun shown through the window, illuminating the sleeping form of the beautiful girl lying on the floor, and the cloaked figure leaning up against the far wall. As the rays touched him his eyes snapped open and he glanced around, taking in everything at once. Softly going over to the girl he drew a blanket over her and then whispered a few words over her in some foreign language. With that he turned and walked out of the house.
By this time of the morning, Teledisar was teaming with life. The merchants and farmers that had arrived the day before had now set up their tents and carts and overhangs to sell their wares from. Throughout the market place could be heard the clamorous callings of said merchant, each trying to get every customer that walked by to stop in and ultimately buy one of the items or produce. Because of this attitude, merchants across from each other would argue who had better wares and who could give better bargains, all the while screaming at the top of their lungs to be heard over the roar of the other vendors. Those not arguing with another also began to speak louder so that they too could be heard by the passer-bys. All in all, the air was no longer calm in the city as soon as the first shop opened up. Most trading was therefore done through sign language since none could understand what the other said.
Illudinevar skirted all of this madness and made his way to a quieter section of the city where a few locals had set up shops for those faint of heart citizens who had no wish to brave the torture called the Bazaar. Several times along the route a chariot, carrying two soldiers of Teledisar, one the driver and the other an archer who was also equipped with a spear for closer quarters, came barreling down the street, the whole while snapping the whip and yelling threats to those who barely moved fast enough to jump out of the way. One found that that the charioteers’ threats were not hollow. They had complete domain over the streets of Teledisar and any town or village that owed fealty to them. Being that Illudinevar had no wish to get sidetracked in his mission this morning, he nearly sidestepped off the road to allow ample room for the chariots to pass.
Tucked into a small corner, not known by many, and almost unable to be seen in its place next to the two large apartment buildings it was sandwiched in between, sat a small shop. Above the door hung a red and yellow striped awning and a sign that read “Trinkets”. In the windows could be seen all the random trinkets that had accumulated from the years of collecting, stacked high so that barely anything could be seen behind them. The shop was one where anything could be bought, from the medicinal herbs of the Great Desert, to the small flutes that the elves sometimes traded to those merchants lucky enough to trade with such a closed community as the elves. The proprietor was not one who looked like he traded with the elves. In fact he was a gnome; green haired, at least what was left of it, with a neat, trimmed beard of the same color. As Illudinevar stepped in the shop he was currently busy pointing out the qualities of several trinkets to a customer, but upon noticing Illudinevar, he excused himself and sauntered over.
“I’ll be with ye shortly,” he explained to him. “If you would in the meanwhile like to look at something, we have some very fine pieces just in from the Great Desert.”
Illudinevar bowed slightly, accepting the gnome’s speech and then walked to where he pointed to look at several racks of artifacts. Among the trays he noticed a fine looking ring and pulled it out to look at it. After examining it for a time he held it in his palm as the gnome came over; finally finished with his customer.
“So what kin I do fer ya?” he politely asked, stepping up to The Mercenary.
“I want to look at your most special pieces,” he answered with a quick grin. “I was told you have unique pieces and even more unique ways of getting them.”
“Ah, yes! We do some very nice pieces in the back. Please follow me.”
He sauntered through a door in the back of the shop to a store room and turned to the cloaked and hooded figure. “You didn’t have to add that last part right there in hearing of everybody. Someone could hear and get the authorities on me.”
“Oh?” answered Illudinevar, throwing off his hood, “I was not aware that anyone else was in the shop. You know that I would protect you because you are way too valuable to me, alive. Besides,” he added, looking at him sharply, “I know you could get out of any predicament they put you in.”
“Anyway, that’s not the point. What did you want to see me about?”
“A battalion of elves attacked my house last night in search of a princess that I didn’t realize I had. Why? And what was she doing in slaves clothes travelling with a merchant out of the Great Desert? I would appreciate to know as much as possible about them before midday. Do I make myself clear?”
“Of course, how could you doubt any other possibility? As a matter of fact, I did see them. You do realize,” he paused and looked more closely at The Mercenary, “if this was any other of my customers I would stay out of it. Do you know how hard it is too scout on elves? I mean, with all their magic and such it’s downright terrifying. Half the time you’re jumping at every sound and the other half you’re trying to find out where they disappeared to. I was…”
“The information!…” Illudinevar cut in sharply.
“Ah yes! How forgetful of me. Anyway,” he hurriedly continued seeing the growing frustration in The Mercenaries eyes, “apparently they were here only for that one purpose; to get the princess back. She had a big falling out with her parents because she is a little more open minded when it comes to getting power and information, kinda’ like you. But anyway, I digress. Her brother is commander of the High Guards, an elite band of elves responsible for protecting the royal family. I know, leave it to the elves to appoint one of the members of the royal family to be leader of those trying to protect the royal family. Anyway, Varielle, that’s the name of the princess, she ran off and joined a rogue band, at that time very small. It’s called the Shattered Gem. Have you heard of it?”
Had he heard of it indeed! Currently they were his single most hated group of mercenaries because of the power they had picked up during their growth. It all began to make sense to him.
Once again the gnome continued. “Every time she runs off her brother is there in Kaeltar to rescue her in case she sends a distress call. I guess that’s what happened. Her parents don’t know she belongs to the band. They think she is trying to find a legendary city to help the elves in their love of history. They believe her brother is only trying to help her and so hope that one day she will settle down and take on the role of her forefathers.” He stopped to stare at Illudinevar, thinking about something. “Now I don’t know why she would be dressed as a slave. Mayhap its because she’s on a mission for the Shattered Gem.” He bent closer to The Mercenary and whispered, “I hear tell of a rumor floating around. Apparently they have found the lost ring of Alkentar. Have you heard of it?”
Illudinevar feigned ignorance and shook his head. “I believe I have not. Why?”
“They say that the lost ring of Alkentar is the greatest magic ring in the universe. As you probably know, precious stones are able to hold the energy that releases the flow of magic. The more pure the rock; the more energy that can be stored, and, therefore the longer that the magician can hold onto a spell. Anyway, the ring was crafted long ago by the protectors of Delnar as a gift to the human Alkentar who was the most powerful magician at that time. He had helped the protectors in a great battle against demons and so in thanks they gave him the ring. The design has never been mimicked because no craftsman has the ability to craft such perfection. The stone in the center is the purest ruby. Surrounding it are ten small diamonds, each able to bounce energy off each other to create a bridge over the ruby and let it hold even more energy. It can hold more energy than any other gem ten times its size. The wearer of this ring is virtually unstoppable. Unfortunately Alkentar died and the ring slipped into oblivion. It was thought that it was buried with him but upon opening the grave it was proven false. Every so often the rumor pops up that it has been found but nothing ever comes of it. All leaders, magicians, elves, and mercenaries want it for themselves. With it they could take over the world. The price would be very high for he who found it. Maybe the princess, Varielle, has found a clue and now is following it, except that you got in the way and she had to call her brother to bale her out. The only problem is, I’ve heard her parents ordered her back to Ilias. You’ve gotten in her way.”
Illudinevar smirked as he drew a small bag out of his pocket and tossed it at the gnome. Inside were priceless gems as payment. “I trust you can deal with gems just as good as gold?”
“Absolutely, sir. Thank you for your business.”
“Oh, one more thing,” he turned at the door before leaving. “I’m buying this as well. Will the payment for the information cover it?” He held out his hand with the ring in his palm.
The gnome nodded and with that Illudivevar left.
By the time that Illudinevar had returned to the apartments, Vashti had arisen and had begun to clean up the house. Ikendenkara, the dragon, was sitting nearby on a window ledge, making sure that nothing happened to her. When she saw Illudinevar pass through the doorway she walked over to him and bowed.
“I have begun to clean your house. Is that all right, master?”
“No, you don’t need to. And please don’t call me master. I have no need for such titles from you. Here, I have something for you.” He drew out a ring from his pocket and slipped it on her finger. “Wear this so that I will always know where you are. Make sure it is not stolen from you because it is very valuable. After I decide what to do with you I may ask for it back.”
She bowed again. “I cannot possibly take it. It is far too valuable for me to keep. I am only one of your staff to keep at your pleasure; nothing more.”
“I have already told you once,” he explained to her gently, tugging on her chin to have her look up at him. She did so but shyly. “I will set you up as one of the greatest ladies in town. I will have people to instruct you in the ways of properly acting and I will say you are my sister. I will make sure you have everything you desire. Will that make you happy? You are no longer my slave. You are freed. If you would like we can even go to the notaries to make you a paper that says so.”
“Sir,” she pleadingly begged him. “I beg of you to reconsider. I am not fit for such a life. Before my current life, I was raised on the fringes of the Great Desert. I learned how to ride and hunt better than my youngest brother. I can shoot bows and know some experience of knife fighting. I like the lightness and speed of knives better than swords. I am not a lady. I would rather help you in your quests.”
Thinking quietly to himself, Illudinevar watched as Vashti continued to straighten up. Not that the place was untidy but the years that he had not spent in the house had left a film of dust on most of the nick-knacks, and, as he had noticed, she was very good at handling those rare pieces of art. Even in the way she held them, he could tell that she was in complete control of her muscles and indeed would be well trained for fighting.
I don’t know what to do with her, he silently confided to Ikendenkara. I can see that she does have the training she boasts but I want her to have the life she deserves but has never had. She shouldn’t be a slave or a fighter. She should be a lady with the finest suitors and the finest things with servants to wait on her. What do I do?
Looking at her, the dragon replied, She doesn’t want that life. She is comfortable with what she knows and enjoys it. Try it out for a while and see if she is able to help you or even keep up with you in all you do. You still have the training grounds on Three Peaks. Take her there to train her and decide what to do with her then. The worst that will happen is that she comes back here to be installed as a great lady with some made up title.
Illudinevar sat for some time more, still thinking on what to do with his newly acquired company. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try. Have you revealed anything else that would come in handy? About her past, I mean.
No, only that what she says is true. She wants vengeance on the man that killed her father so utterly without morality. That is all that drives her. She thinks with your training she may eventually do so.
So all she wants out of me is training?
No, I did not mean to let it seem that way, the dragon hurried to explain. She wants to do what pleases you and wishes to help you but realizes that one day you may have no more further need for her. She only then wishes to extract her revenge. It will not get in the way of her training or her duties.
I see. Well I will ask her and see what she says. If so, I would like to leave as soon as possible. The elves have not gone far and I wish to catch up soon. I may find something of us from them.
They finished their conversation and then Illudinevar went over to Vashti. “I have to leave but I want you to seriously consider letting me set you up as a lady here. I will make sure that you have enough funds to be very well off so you need not worry.”
She looked up at him questioningly. “Is there no way I can come with you?”
Illudinevar looked down at her softly. “As I have explained to you already, the life I lead is no life for a lady. You would be much better off here where you are safe. Don’t worry, I will find the man responsible for the death of your father and exact revenge on him myself.”
“I appreciate your kind offer but do not wish to stay,” she answered him meekly. “All my life I have never found that I like the city life. My life is one of action and excitement. I love looking at the stars before falling asleep, unhindered by the lights of the city. I know you are a mercenary but you do not understand my position. If I stayesd in the city and became a lady like you suggest, I would never fit in. All the other ladies would laugh at me behind my back because I am different than they. I would not have the years of training that they have and could never make up for it. I like doing things. I couldn’t let a servant do everything for me. The first time I tried to pick up after someone they would all laugh. And the clothes…I am not used to the hooped skirts and ruffled dresses that is now the fashion. I would rather wear pants and a tighter shirt because they are useful and would not catch on anything. Please, sir, I beg of you to take me with you.”
She looked so sincere that Illudinevar sat for some time and thought. Finally he arose. “Well you’re not going to be able to wear those robes. Come with me. I guess you will be going with me.”
Together they quickly gathered their things together and on the way out of the house Illudinevar stopped by a trusted neighbor to request that he watch the house again. They then fought the traffic and crowds and made their way back to a shop not far from the one that Illudinevar had visited earlier. This one, however, was a clothing shop.
They disappeared into the confines of the shop and a few minutes later they reappeared, this time with Vashti wearing all black. Her shirt was sleeveless and clung closely to her body so that it would not catch on anything when she was running. Her pants were also tight to her skin and made of a heavier material so that they too would not rip or tear on anything. Around her waste was hung a belt and Illudinevar handed her two knives that had been in his rooms.
“Learn to use these for now and later if you would like different feel free to trade them out. I chose these since they were small and light for you.”
She thanked him and slipped them into her belt and then picked up her pack and followed him out of the city. They way out was easier than the way in. The soldiers did not pay attention to those going out in time of peace and a long line of merchants were trying to push their way in, diverting the guards’ attention anyway. When out of distance from the city by some miles they stopped and Illudinevar turned to Vashti.
“Which animal do you prefer to ride? I can offer you any and we have a long way to run. Unfortunately I cannot show you the way because I have something to scout. However, the dragon will guide you. I will meet up with you in a day. Make yourself at home at my house on three peaks. You will find everything you need there.”
She looked at him calmly and then answered, “I pride myself on being able to ride anything that moves. You choose.”
He burst out laughing and then called to the dragon. “She thinks she can ride anything. What do you think? Would you care to give her a ride?”
With pleasure! Hop on girl. 
Giving an indignant snort on being called girl, Vashti climbed up and positioned herself between his wings and grabbed onto the large red horn in front of her. Ikendenkara swung his head to look back at her and she nodded to go. Illudinevar watched as the dragon bunched up his leg muscles and then catapulted both himself and the rider high into the air, twisting in a tight corkscrew on the way up, his wings beating a steady tattoo on the air. Vashti, flying straight out behind him, her legs already falling off from around his middle, was grabbing onto the largest spike.
Suddenly, at about one hundred feet above the ground, he flipped around and then dove straight down for the ground, tucking in his wings against his body. Vashti barely had time to flip around and try to grab a better hand-hold as he flipped around. Just as Vashti was sure they were going to crash into the ground, he pulled up and unfurled his wings, skimming just along the surface of the ground. For awhile Illudinevar matched their speed away from the city. Vashti could tell he was speaking to the dragon but couldn’t hear what was being said.
Again, the dragon lifted itself with its wings and gained a little altitude. He banked suddenly, flipping himself completely on his side at a ninety degree angle with the ground, barely giving Vashti enough time before she went flying to the side. She started to slip but before she fell, the dragon righted itself and caught her and then hurtled back towards the sky. Just at the top he hung a little, pausing as it were before spinning around and falling back, this time with his back towards the ground. Again he spun around and pulled up just as he was about to hit the ground. This time Illudinevar ran alongside and then swung up behind Vashti.
“The band of elves is near. I want to check them out. Ikendenkara will take you to Four Peaks where I will meet up with you. Fly as fast as you can, and,” he added to the dragon, “Make sure she doesn’t fall off.”
After the dragon gave his consent, Illudinevar jumped back off his back and ran in the opposite direction, while Ikendenkara banked softly towards the west, gaining more altitude. The speed that he had flown previously was nothing compared to the burst that he gained now. His wings beat strongly, slapping the air and driving both forward.
Crouch lower against my back; it helps to be more wind resistant and won’t sting your eyes so much. Oh and by the way, he added as an after thought, you ride well.
From her mind came a jumble of thoughts, mostly confusion at how he was able to speak to her through her mind. Ikendenkara laughed; a deep, low chuckle vibrating his stomach.
Just open your mind and find mine. It is not hard to miss. Then form your thought and I will hear it. Clear all other thoughts from your head so that they don’t get jumbled up with that thought.
Once again he felt her mind, this time a little more clearly, but still with some static. How’s this?
Better, he answered laughingly.
Illudinevar ran on towards the North and towards the small elven band, making all possible speed to the Iel River and from there on to Kaeltar, the home of the elves. Just as they came into eyesight, he became invisible and drifted closer. The band was still clumped tightly together, their best tracker in front, several warriors, among who were the prince and princess, guarding the mage in the center of the group.
“Wait,” the mage called out suddenly. “I can feel something coming.”
Varielle looked back at him as the others drew their weapons and formed a defensive maneuver around the mage. “What is it?”
“Something from the other realms. I can’t figure out what it is. I have never seen anything like it. It doesn’t appear to have any definite shape like most spirits do.”
“Is it dangerous? Will it attack us?” 
“I still cannot tell. The best thing is to cast a blessing and then make all possible speed to Kaeltar.” He began to move his hands about as a bluish mist formed in front of him. Then he made some large gesture and bowed in Illudinevar’s direction. After this the elves turned once again and continued on. They began to run even faster to the river and to safety. 
Waiting for them at the river were four, slim, bark boats, typical of the elven race. Though small and fragile looking, these boats were extremely fast and manuverable. Made from the bark of the local trees, they had been sung over by the clerics and mages and had a Nature’s Blessing which made them stronger than most other boats, even those made of superior materials. Also, they were very good for battle because of their design. Sitting in the boats were elves, waiting for the band to return, holding the oars to keep the boats steady. At the sight of their fellow elves, they began to prepare to leave.
The band drew near and with practiced ease they boarded the water craft and moved off upriver. Illudinevar watched them leave and then turned and followed the path that the dragon had taken a little while earlier.
He ran on endlessly through the night, watching the Four Peaks grow on the horizon. They sprouted up out of the rolling countryside, the only mountains nearby except for the Skeul Mountains to the south. It was said in legend that these mountains were made by the gods originally to house temples, one each for four brothers. They argued and had a war and so the temples were never built.
Just as the sun was beginning to make its journey from the depths of the universe to the arc above Delnar, he could just make out the trees dotting the lower slopes.
“Ikendenkara!” he roared out as he ran closer.
Above the trees rose the massive form of the dragon. The white scales shown like liquid silver in the light of the sinking sun with drops of bright red glints along his back accenting it. He hung in the air for a second, then swooped down and landed in front of his rider. It is good to see you. I trust that the elves were no such problem for you?
“No, I let them go.” He answered as he swung up on the dragon’s back. “They were on their way to Narfel and I thought they weren’t hurting me. I’ll catch up to her eventually when I feel like she is a real threat. How is Vashti?
She is fine. Why did you let them go? It is most unlike you.
I have other things on my mind. I am looking ahead to when I need to prepare Vashti for the battles we will soon be waging. How has she responded to the changes?
She has done fine, the dragon answered. Being part of the nomadic tribes, she is used to much change. She has put a sleeping roll in the corner of the main room of the hut. 
Good, I’ll probably give her the sleeping quarters though; I don’t need it.
During their flight, the mountains grew closer in definition. On the slope of the Northern peak was a small clearing with a hut in the corner and a large open space surrounded by various racks of weapons and training equipment. The hut itself was small and made out of the wood from the surrounding forest but was adequate enough for two small rooms. Out in front of the hut was also a small fire pit with a pot hung on a spit.
As Ikendenkara slowly descended to the ground, the two could see Vashti standing in front of the house. As Illudinevar jumped lightly off the dragon’s back he spoke to her. 
“Varielle, the elf princess, is heading back to her city. She is of no concern for us for the time being. We will begin training shortly and that will be your only thought for now. Should I feel that you are unable to keep up with my expectations I will send you to Teledisar and set you up as the leading lady in fashion.”
She bowed slightly to him and responded. “I’m ready.”
In response he tossed her a bow from one of the racks and threw off his cloak. She caught it smoothly and with the same smooth instantly knocked an arrow and sent it flying to the center of one of the targets across the clearing. Illudinevar nodded and unslung a few of his weapons, leaving only a sword and a knife.
“Fairly good with a bow,” he said musing. “How are you with a sword or knife?”
She shrugged and spun to one of the racks and grabbed a short sword then spun back around, coming up against the unexpected blade of Illudinevar’s. Quickly she brought the sword up and deflected it.
Smiling slightly he easily batted the lighter sword away, throwing her arm out and leaving her body exposed, easily allowing him to thrust his blade towards the middle of her torso. Instead of fighting against the jarring action, as most inexperienced fighters would, Vashti instead let it swing out and then swung the tip down and back across her body, coming up to hook Illudinevar’s blade before it came in contact with her sternum. Continuing the hook, she turned her wrist and drove the point of her blade, upside down, at Illudinevar. He in turn stepped to the side and again parried her blade.
Frustrated and wanting to show The Mercenary that she was worthy of his training, Vashti frowned and continued to beat away at her defenses, frowning slightly. The two made their way back and forth across the clearing, circling each other again and again, lunging and attacking and then retreating, as the other would attack, to parry. The sun had finally begun to set when Vashti felt the cold steel of Illudinevar’s blade on her neck.
“Well fought,” he praised her coolly, as she dropped her blade. “I think you will do well in your training. Always know where the enemy’s sword is. Think four steps ahead and move from their. Sleep well for tomorrow we start training in earnest. You may sleep on the bunks inside the hut. I will not need them.” He saluted her with the tip of his blade against his forehead and then turned to the fire pit. By the time Vashti walked into the doorway, he had started a fire and was sitting against the dragon staring into the flames. 
The hut was simple, one roomed, and mostly decorated with varying sorts of weapons. Along the back wall were two bunks, slung up against the wall and held against the wall with chains. They were both covered by skins and each was comfortable. Vashti lay down on the bottom one and thought back to all the events that had happened that day. Drifting amongst her thoughts, she soon fell asleep.


© 2012 zachf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sorry it took me so long to get to this, but wow, I am sure glad that I did!

Another outstanding chapter. The details are just flawless. I can clearly picture everything in my head, and that just adds to the entertainment of reading. I very much like the development of the relationship between the mercenary and Vashti. It moves slowly but steadily, and effectively. One thing that annoys me a lot about romance in books is that it moves far too quickly and doesn't give the reader enough time to get to know the characters first. I am guilty of this crime. This is why I am re-writing OK. Ha ha ha.

I also really enjoyed the training scene at the end. You describe the fighting very well! I'm quite envious; I'm working on that particular aspect of my writing at the moment.

This chapter has provided me with much inspiration for my most recent book. For that, I thank you. Good luck with chapter 3!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 18, 2012
Last Updated on June 18, 2012


Author

zachf
zachf

Las Vegas, NV



About
I'm in the Air Force. I love to write and have been writing since about ten. I like science fiction but am trying to expand and am working on a novel based in the 1800s. My current book has undergon.. more..

Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by zachf