Forever The Assassin

Forever The Assassin

A Story by zoe.avery
"

A Murder Mystery / Romance / Short Story

"

She waded through the misty fog in a daze, her head spinning wildly and out of control. The trees around her seemed to be caving in. Everything was blur. She was now dragging herself on the ground, determination filling her thoughts. Her wild, messy hair was covering her face, becoming soggy from all the tears spilling out of her eyes. Then she stopped and lay there, her eyes closing slowly. Laughter echoed through the thick air. Her heart stopped, with one last, deadly thud.

***

"It was a murder," announced the detective, as he looked over Ms. Kennedy Lara Jackson's body. "She was poisoned, even worse with cyanide." He looked at her eyes, and he had never seen such lifeless eyes, with the way it stared out into nothing, its bright turquoise colours shining creepily. Her clothes were torn and shredded, leaving many cuts and bruises. Her hollow cheek bones showed the death of her, making her look like a skeleton. "Let’s go and find some information about her," Rachel insisted, walking up to the parked police car. Kian and Vincent followed, grabbing their bags and notes. Rachel hopped into the front seat with Kian next to her, while Vincent seated himself in the back. When they arrived, the three sprinted up to their 'main information room'. Rachel immediately looked up Kennedy’s name. A whole bunch of information came up, but one thing struck them. Kennedy Lara Jackson was engaged.

Jack Green was his name. The team already had his address and all contact details. They were already on the road, zooming past everyone heading to 32 Crasting Road, a beach house. "Okay, so we know his name, address, numbers and email address. But we need to know why he never contacted any of us, or his friends. It seems like he’s been hiding away from reality, or us." As Vincent said that last word, they all arrived at his house. They hopped out the car and onto the gravel road. Their guns were taken out and with their bulletproof vests on, they walked up to the charming little house. "On the count of three, one, two, three!" Kian led, as he was the strongest. He barged in, with a gun pointed directly in front of him. He went through the house and eventually said, "All clear." The three all lowered their guns, relieved. "Then where is he?" Rachel took out her phone and dialed the investigator. "Hi Mark, can you try and track down Mr.-Jack-Green? He isn't home." They then heard a mumble coming from the other end of the line. "Mmm, okay thanks. We're going now." Rachel hung up. She looked up and said, "Jack is driving in a rusty Audi. He was last seen filling up gas in Miami. That was 5 minutes ago. Let's go."

***

His rusty, ancient car went chugging along the long road. After he heard about her death he just took off. He was proud of his car and how far it had come. He was almost there. He looked outside his window just to look at Miami's beautiful beach. He couldn't see much because of all the rain pouring down outside, in big, strong drops of rain. He hated winter, preferred the summer. Jack glanced in his rearview mirror, and saw that face he knew all too well. He saw his tanned skin with its round nose, blond, messy, hair and hazel eyes. He sighed. 'When will this mess be over?' Probably never. There was no-one else on the road but him, and this road seemed to drag on forever. Then suddenly, in the distance Jack heard the low sound of a police siren that got louder by the second. He started to panic and sweat. He stepped on the gas and his car went jumping forward, rumbling and groaning loudly as he rolled down the street. The siren got louder and louder, and he then saw red and blue lights flashing brightly in the distance. 'It’s probably nothing,' he kept thinking to himself, but if they caught him... he would have to explain so much. The police car was suddenly next to him, and the man inside it had a gun pointing directly in his face. "Turn over!" the policeman screamed, and Jack pretended not to hear. Now he was getting extremely nervous, and he stepped on the gas again. He had a trick in this car, and he wasn't afraid to use it. "NOW! Or I WILL shoot!" Jack had no choice. He pressed that one button and it lurched his car forward, so he was going at an unbelievably fast pace. "NOW!" Jack carried on driving. So now Jack was surprised, because at that last second, all anyone would hear was a loud, deafening BANG.

***

Vincent looked at his gun, extremely confused. He did not pull the trigger, yet Jack had been shot. "Stop the car!" He screamed, and the car screeched to a halt. Vincent walked up to the rusty Audi. He peeked in through the dusty window to see a man lying in the driver’s seat, blood oozing out of his head, a dark scarlet colour, and his eyes wide open in surprise. He nodded, as this wasn't him who had shot him. The shot had come from behind his head, and it must have been someone on the hills on the other side of the road. Vincent started running up to the hills. He caught sight of a line of footprints in the corner of his eye. He followed them and he was just fast enough to see the boot of a car turn around a corner. It was too late. Vincent threw his hands up in frustration. He turned around to see his crew standing right behind him. They had their guns in their hands, ready for attack. "Someone else killed him. It wasn't me, I would never have actually shot him. I have footprint tracks here and they lead to a road. I had just enough time to see the back of the car," Vincent hesitated, "But why do you think he wouldn't stop? Maybe he knew something we didn't. I seriously think we should find out more about Kennedy. ASAP." Rachel looked straight into Vincent’s eyes, giving him a knowing look. "Get in the car. We have some exploring to do. We need to find more suspects."

"Jack Green, Lilly Everreck, the father, the mother, Tom Rusle, Lucy McGranade and Peter Longwood, - Our suspects," announced Kian. Rachel and Vincent had straight, serious faces. "Okay, so where do we find them? And how are some of these people related to our victim?" Rachel asked. He replied, "Lilly Everreck was Kennedy's best friend. Tom Rusle was their delivery man, and apparently Kennedy and he had a sort of relationship. Lucy McGranade and Peter Longwood are a couple that were friends with her." "Let’s go check out Lilly, I think that’s a good place to start." Rachel said. "Also it's getting very dark now, and I really need to end off this day well." So they all went in their car, and drove off into the night.

***

Lilly Everreck was sitting at home, curled up on her long sofa. She was watching a slushy romantic comedy and was sipping a cup of warm hot chocolate. A fire was roaring beside her, keeping her warm. Her ginger hair was tied up in a messy bun and her dark blue eyes were slowly closing. 'It was a long day,' she thought. Without warning, three cops burst through her closed door. They were holding guns and unluckily, they had managed to get her at her worst time. She immediately stood up, spilling her hot chocolate all over her perfectly white sofa. "Have a seat Lilly, we need to talk," demanded Kian. Lilly looked at her door longingly, but the cops noticed this. "Sit down. NOW." She surrendered, while sitting down. The cops joined her, being very cautious. "Okay Lilly, we know that Kennedy was your best friend. Tell us where you were during the night of her death," Vincent started. Lilly quickly responded, "Easy. I was out for dinner with a very good friend of mine." "Really? Well, now tell us, what was his name?" Lilly hesitated, "Mark West" The cop seemed convinced enough to show a relaxed smile. "And do you know any other information about this investigation? We need all we can get." Lilly smiled, "If I do find out any information, I will be sure to contact you." The cops stood up and began walking towards the door, "Great, thanks. Sorry about the interruption." "Oh, no problem," she answered as the police all sauntered to their parked car. Lilly closed the door and breathed a huge sigh of relief, as the police drove off.

***THE FOLLOWING DAY***

 “Okay. So, Lucy McGranade and Peter Longwood are ruled off our suspect list.” Rachel informed her team. “They are very innocent. We just need to go and have a talk with Kennedy’s parents.” Kian and Vincent groaned in chorus with each other. Then looked at each other and laughed. “The parents are always the worst. They seem guilty, but sad. The hardest lot of people,” Kian said with a smile. The three cops were in their car once again, on another mission, full of mystery.

They knocked loudly on the freshly painted door, waiting for a reply. The door creaked open, revealing a short lady wearing a long dress with big diamond hoop earrings. “Can I help you?” she asked kindly. “Yes. We are investigating a murder, apparently she was your daughter,” replied Rachel. The lady’s eyes began watering, exposing her sadness. “Yes, of course. Come in,” she said, as she opened he entrance wider. Rachel, Vincent and Kian sauntered into the house, looking around for any signs of danger. They seated themselves on a small, blue couch, while gesturing for her to sit. She obeyed while shouting, “Paul! The cops are here to investigate her murder!” In a flash, a man appeared from the doorway, with a serious face. “Of course Marilyn. We’ll give you anything you need about her.” “Have a seat.” Paul looked grim as he seated himself on a red wooden chair. Vincent began, “So, we need to know about that night. Was she staying with you? What time did she leave the house?” The sound of silence overwhelmed the room while Marilyn and Paul thought about the night. “She left at around 6 p.m. to go to a student meeting. She really enjoyed her school: she was in university,” Marilyn responded timidly. The cops looked at each other knowingly. “Thank you. And we need to know what you were doing that night,” said Kian. Marilyn quickly responded, “It wasn’t me!” Her face and voice suddenly seemed defensive. “It wasn’t me either,” said Paul, glancing at his wife. Marilyn spoke, her voice shaky, her expression angry and defensive, “Why would you even accuse me?!” The cops looked surprised. “It’s okay, we weren’t accusing you of anything. We just need to know if that information will help us,” Rachel informed her. Marilyn closed her eyes, breathed in deeply and reopened her eyes. “Yes. I’m sorry I overreacted. I have told you all you need to know. Thank you,” she stood up and led the cops towards the door. “Thank you for all you have told us,” Vincent said, as he stood by the door. “If you receive any further info, please go ahead contact us,” Kian added. Marilyn calmly shut the door closed, and as the cops drove off, they heard an argument bubbling up in the house they had just left.

“Next up, Tom Rusle!” declared Vincent, as he guided his crew towards their black and white police car. As they eventually arrived at Tom Rusle’s small apartment. It was a very unattractive welcoming, as the dirt-stained curtains were drawn closed. The colour of the apartment was a dusty white and the walls made them feel as if it was about to crumble down on them. The door was made of steel which was painted terribly to almost try and scare visitors away. Kian knocked on the door carefully, not entirely sure that it was completely safe. Rachel and Vincent were right behind him, just waiting. “Come in!” A husky voice replied, startling the cops. Kian opened the door, and stepped into a single room apartment. He opened the door revealing a handsome man, he was sitting by his computer, typing away. He turned around and shock registered on his face, Rachel was quick to speak. “Hi, we are here investigating a murder. The victim’s name was Kennedy Lara Jackson, if you knew her.” Tom’s beady eyes opened wide. “She’s dead?” he choked, his voice catching on something. He stood up and began pacing around the room, thinking. The cops watched him closely. Something about the way he acted that out, made the police think. “You’re lying,” Kian stated, watching Tom closely. Tom looked up, but he wasn’t fast enough to hide the fact that he wasn’t actually surprised. That time all the cops saw it. “Have a seat Tom,” insisted Rachel. Tom slowly sat down, acknowledging what just happened. The cops joined him. “Where were you during the night of her murder?” Asked Vincent wisely. Tom just kept looking at the floor. The crew asked him many more questions, but Tom just continued to stare at the floor. Eventually Rachel ended the senseless meeting. “Thank you for your time Tom. If you find out any more info, please go ahead and contact us,” finished Rachel. The cops walked out the door, feeling confident, and they happily hopped into the car. They were going to announce whoever the murderer was tomorrow.

***

It was a cheerful morning at the Blue Water Café, as everyone had gathered there to watch a High School play. Only, that was not how it was going to roll. Behind the curtains, grade 9 and 10’s were getting nervous, going through their scripts, drinking plenty of water and chatting. Vincent, Rachel and Kian were hidden in the crowd somewhere. They had a plan, and it was going to work. Kian found access to behind the curtain and had managed to find a part in the play where he would be able to say a few words. All of the suspects were in the crowd. Rachel and Vincent were anxiously chatting. A man in a large hat appeared on the stage and said four short words. “Let the show begin.” He then bowed as an excited chatter began in the crowd. It was a Romeo and Juliet play, and everyone was acting well. Then Rachel noticed Kian stroll on stage. Vincent and Rachel had their fingers crossed behind their backs. “It was a murder!” shouted a boy. “But who was the victim?” another cried. “Kennedy Lara Jackson,” answered Kian, his acting skills paying off. A gasp spluttered across the audience. Kian walked up and down the stage. “Yes, and she was killed by cyanide!” he continued, as the audience began chattering again, keeping their eyes glued to him. “The murderer is known, but it is only known by me,” he said, he was getting the crowd worked up now, and that was perfect. He kept quiet for a few minutes, letting the gossip spread. “She was killed by Tom Rusle.” The crowds eyes all turned on him, and his face registered complete shock. “But it wasn’t me!” He screamed and screamed, but he was arrested. He was dragged away, struggling, while the crowd was going crazy.

‘Click’, the bars went, as the door of his cell was locked. Tom Rusle had tried explaining that it wasn’t him, but the cops wouldn’t listen. The guard walked away with no expression on his chubby face. Tom was just about to give up and drift off to sleep, until he heard the sound of high heels clipping on the tile floor. The clipping stopped, and he opened his eyes to see a lady with her ginger hair all toppled up into a tangled bun, and her dark blue eyes laughing at him. “Hello Tom,” she greeted him, icily. Tom suddenly felt sick, as all the missing pieces fell together. She smiled falsely, making him feel worse. “It was you,” he whispered quietly. She looked so happy. “Yes, and I came here to tell you why I killed her.” She smiled again, and Tom almost felt scared. “Her life was a mess. I knew everything about her, as I was her best friend, and she was falling in love with you. Jack would have killed you if he knew what was going on. I have always loved you Tom. You never even knew that! I have always tried to make you see me, but you were so fixated on Kenny that you never even noticed I was alive!” She was shouting in a whisper at him, her eyes watering. She bit her lip, as she would not let the tears come rolling out. Tom felt surprised at her sudden outburst. She took a deep breath, and smiled. “Goodbye, have a good life.” She walked away quickly and left Tom thinking. He stared at his orange prison suit in disgust, and thought of that one girl. ‘She was crazy’ he thought. No, she is crazy. He curled up on the rock-hard floor, and thought of her, just as he would for the rest of his life, every day. Lilly Everreck. 

© 2014 zoe.avery


Author's Note

zoe.avery
Hi, please don't hesitate to comment, I love feedback, so go ahead. ❤❤

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your story was amazing! I loved the characters, the tension and I could definitely picture the whole scene in my head! Although it was funny sometimes!, Kian, Vincent and Rachel were not very good cops!
Outstanding work, zoe.avery!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 13, 2014
Last Updated on July 13, 2014

Author

zoe.avery
zoe.avery

About
Little Facts About Me: - I Adore Kittens And Puppies - I Get Inspiration From Nature - Bella Thorne is My Absolute Idol, I Love Her :D - I LOVE Writing. more..