The Young True Writers :) : Forum : Advice?

Advice?

11 Years Ago

I'm young, still pretty new to writing i guess. So any advice? What inspires you to write? What helped you to become a better writer? Just give me any advice to help me become a better writer! :)

Re: Advice?

11 Years Ago

I am also a young writer, but I am not new at it. I have been writing for a while, but only recently have I been getting it 'out there'.

Music inspires me. And my feelings toward situations and other people. 

Never give up on writing. I used to think it was only a tool, but now it is my haven and much of my life.   
-'brina

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I totally can relate when you say music inspires you. I'm always listening to music when I'm writing, it really helps me focus. I also love writing outside, the fresh air and the singing birds can be really inspiring for me. Thanks again! :)

11 Years Ago

I am a young writer too. :) My advice to you is that if you love writing then never give up. Nobody should stop you. I have liked writing ever since the 7th grade. What had made me want to start writing was my love life and ever since then I just wanted to write, write, write. Writing is my passion! I may have wanted to give up in the past but my heart told me no. I may not be the best at writing, but anytime you need help just contact me or leave more posts on our group's forum.  Hope this helped. -Ashley :)

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your advice! I will definitely keep writing in the future as I still have so much to learn! (I'm only a freshman in high school!) I hope to become a more passionate writer and one day have my books on the shelves in book stores :)

11 Years Ago

I am only a freshmen in High School too. You're very welcome. Anytime you need any help, like I said I am here for you! I may not be new at writing but I need improving too because no one's perfect. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't go far with your writing goals! Because I think anything's possible. Keep your hopes up, and I promise you that you will one day have your books on shelves across the country or possibly the world :) Dream BIG and you win BIG.

11 Years Ago

I think the most important thing as an aspiring writer is to always write. Never stop. Whenever you get the opportunity to, jot your thoughts down, whether they may be stupid or not. It's a way to get exactly what you are thinking/feeling down on paper. Sometimes the best start to a story or poem comes from a simple feeling that you may not think will be inspirational whatsoever. If you write as often as you can, you will only get better. They say that people who write everyday, improve, and I would say that this is very true.  I wrote quite a lot as a freshman in high school, but as a sophomore and junior, I hardly wrote at all. Now, I am a senior in high school, and I write more than I ever have. I've greatly improved in such a short amount of time, so I would suggest not stopping like I did. Just try to write when you can :D 

11 Years Ago

I'm also a very young writer, and behind art it is probably my second biggest passion in life! I usually get inspired by lyrics of songs or artwork maybe, and when I do get inspired I write the idea down straight away so I don't forget it later. I also read a lot of other people's work to just nip a few ideas here and there, but also to get a better look at different styles. Never be afraid to just pinch one or two ideas, (although I wouldn't rewrite their whole story) because it's a compliment to the writer that you liked their idea! 
Hope this helped. :) Good luck with your writing!

11 Years Ago

That is some helpful advice. Thanks for sharing :)I hope it will be handy to all group members..    <3Ashley :D

11 Years Ago

Hmm.. question sound familiar! Yeah every person has their own source of inspiration, the best way to keep it up is to regularly go and live in presence of that inspiration! For example mountains and lakes inspires me to write! I often visit them. Anyway when you seriously desire to become a writer then it is difficult to keep motivation up! Specially after sending your writings to agents/ publisher ;-). I think you got the point! You must develop writing as a passion, reading a lot and digging your source regularly. Most important is to learn again and again to grow as better writer! Cheers!!

11 Years Ago

That is great advice and agreed with every bit of it :) Thank-you. I hope it is helpful as it was to me, to other members of our group.     -Ashley :)

11 Years Ago

Write because you want to write, and love it. That's the only advice I have ;)

11 Years Ago

I agree, that's some good advice.Short and helpful :D

11 Years Ago

READ and WRITE!  Those are my best peices of advice. Read everything. Takes notes about why something caught your eye and write! Thats all you can do.

11 Years Ago

I agree with you. That's some helpful advice. :D

11 Years Ago

Hi, I am newbie to the writing too. I can't say what may inspire you but I can say my inspirations for writing. My Inspirations are
- Silence
- Books
- Strangers
- Movies

and may be there are some more. I don't write like I have to write I write only when I really want to write( of course I haven't write much). I can say best inspiration is all ways book reading as you get new ideas while reading and knowing about something which you don't know. Hope this will may get your attention :)

11 Years Ago

I'm not sure if this is going to be very helpful but your post caught my eye.
I started reading fanfiction when I was eleven years old. I started writing it when I was 13. Back then it was horrible! Though for me time has been a good friend helping me improve with each life experience.

Don't be afraid to use your pain. Even if you think the pain is stupid or irrational, that feeling can morph into something truly magical. It may not even develop into a sad piece.

Get inside the characters head. When I first started writing it was as if I was the writer looking in on the scene. Now I find the best approach is to be the character. 
Some people like to interview their characters. Write down questions on a piece of paper about events your character wouldn't necessarily be in and answer how they would react. That way you will gain a knowledge of you characters morals and values as well as jump inside their souls. 

Every action must have a motivation. Don't write actions for the sake of actions. There must be an emotional point or clue you are trying to convey or must advance the plot in some way. 

It is also important to hone your style. My advice is to try out a few different styles with the fandom you feel most comfortable with until you have the one that is right for you. For example, I used to write only in past tense but now I only write in present tense as an artistic choice. 

The hero's archetype is very helpful when planning stories that are either short or multi chaptered and can be found through google. 

And lastly. Don't stop reading! The more you read the better you writing will get. The more advanced and descriptive texts you see the more you will begin to develop a flow.

When I am in a rut I look to meg rosoffs novel Just In Case. When I read that book the style of writing really resonated with me. Perhaps reading through your old favourites or new ones you will find that one piece that really gets the mind flowing. I also listen to the script and james blunt. Cruisy kind of music. 

Literary guru Bronwyn Sheehan  believes that if you read a child 1000 novels they will become literate. Imagine how much we can move forward if we are already able to read well. 

Hope this helps :)

MerinxD

11 Years Ago

Also currently I am writing my very first original novel.
The name for it has been in my head since I was a child. So maybe your past some answers too :)
My novel is called The Tale of Unextraordiary Nora and Average Andy 

:)

11 Years Ago

Hello!

I'm a pretty young person too still and I love writing whenever I get the free time to do so. One thing that really stuck with me in high school is if you want to improve your writing you should read read read. My senior year we read a book called "How to read literature like a professor" I absolutely loved it and I've been recommending it to people for years. It taught me quite a lot.

As for inspiration, I'm inspired by all sorts of different things. Movies, video-games, television, music, random people I see in the store.

As for how to improve your writing, find out what your weakness in writing is and delve into it. If action and fighting scenes aren't your thing, read up on them. Write more of them. Expand your writing boundaries. Try writing from prompts. Research interesting topics and jot down some story ideas. Whatever it takes to get you motivated.

Hopefully some of my rambling was useful to you. Lol. c: