Alessander's Mad Poets (AMP!) : Forum : Bring Out Ur Popcorn! Films Ba..

Bring Out Ur Popcorn! Films Based on Writers:

13 Years Ago

Which films do you like that are about writers who existed?

Interestingly, two of my favs star Leonardo Diccaprio:  "Basketball Diaries" which is about a NY poet turned junkie during the 50s/60s.  And "Total Eclipse" which is about the man in the avatar, Rimbaud (and I think Verlaine).

I also like "Pinero" with Benjamin Bratt, a film about the PuertoNuyorcan Spoken Word artist Pinero.

How 'bout you? Any recommendations?

Re: Bring Out Ur Popcorn! Films Based on Writers:

13 Years Ago

This is a cool subject. Okay, off hand. I seen "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle". A film about Dorothy Parker played by Jennifer Jason Leigh. She recites the poem "Resume". I've been impressed with that poem since I first read it years ago and found Leigh's quoting of it highly inspiring. Get a chance check it out her performance is remarkable. Okay, Anthony Hopkins gives a memorable and powerful performance as CS Lewis in Shadowslands. Definately worth a look. Oh yes, and really quick Mickey Rourke in "Barfly" gives a must see portrayal of Charles Bukowski. It's been a while, however I do remember scenes of him quoting and writing poetry throughout. Definately worth the time with this one. Very humorous as well. Ahh yes and real quick this is not a movie about a writer yet Ruger Hauer in Blade Runner paraphrases William Blake's America a Prophecy. This one scene for poetry lovers has the punch of an entire movie. Movies where actors quote or paraprase poetry is always inspiring. Well that's about it off hand. Inspiring blog subject. Thanks for posting.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe

13 Years Ago

.     i'm not too familiar with films made there but i'll catch up ... i am a huge fan of Satyajit Ray's films that depicted Rabindranath Tagore ... especially ... Ghare Baire ... meaning ... 'the home and the world' ... Rabindranath Tagore got the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913 ... if i remember correctly ... and Satyajit Ray is one of the greatest film-makers ever ... thanks for this thread ... i hope others join in and make recommendations that i'll benefit from ... :) ...

13 Years Ago

best movies based on writers:

24 Hour Party People

sadly I cannot think of another

13 Years Ago

does david cronenberg's adaptation of burroughs' Naked Lunch count?
because it probably should.

13 Years Ago

Steven Soderbergh's Kafka is probably my favourite film about a writer. Has it put's Kafka inside his writing much like what he did with his own writing. It's a very well made film. Jeremy Irons brings him to life really well. Quills and Stranger Than Fiction are worth watching. Stranger than Fiction for bringing a character to life with a narrator amusingly inside his head. And Quills for Geoffrey Rush's performance of the Marquis De Sade and having to write on walls, clothes and himself whilst imprisoned. Total Eclipse, Sylvia and Wilde are other favourites merely for the writers they depicted. 
Also for me a interesting sub-topic to this would be films that themselves seem like poetry. For me films like Wings of Desire, Hail Mary, Caravaggio, Drowning By Numbers, 2046, La Jetee, Amelie, Love Me If You Dare, Persona, The Elephant Man and Apocalypse Now are like poetry.  

13 Years Ago

One interesting one i've seen is called Pandemonium. It is about Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth. It makes Wordsworth out to be a pretty despicable character. It shows how him and wordsworth started off as best friends but that wordsworth got jealous of coleridge's talent and felt inferior to him. It goes on to show how Wordsworth tries to sabotage coleridge's career and how he almost convinces Coleridge to burn "Kubla Khan" rather than publish it.   Whether that is factually true I can't say. But I find it hard to believe that the man who wrote "Ode to Intimations on Immortality" could be jealous of anybody's talent, especially to the point where he would want to sabotage them.   Another movie about writers worth noting is "Henry and June" about Henry Miller. Though it has it's slow moments, it is very well acted and interesting. It portray how Henry Miller, June Miller, and Anais Nin all get involved in this complex love triangle.    

12 Years Ago

"A Man Within" is technically a doc, which came out in 2010, I would strongly recommend esp if you like William Burroughs.

It covers a lot of his life... his drug addiction, gun love, gay impact, punk ties, beat aspects, wife killing, etc...

Also, if ur in a "beat" mode, "Howl" ca 2009 is OK.

12 Years Ago

I can't think of a single movie that I've seen depicting a poet's life. Maybe I should turn in my degree. I'm not the English nerd I thought I was.

11 Years Ago

I just recently came across an Auden documentary which is compelling.

"W.H. Auden - Tell Me the Truth about Love"

It's about an hour long, and I think can be found on Netflix.  If not, here's a link.

11 Years Ago

I would probably have to say Before Night Falls based on the Cuban Arenas....