Alessander's Mad Poets (AMP!) : Forum : Prompt: Experimental #1 (Photo..

Prompt: Experimental #1 (Photo, Art, Image)

11 Years Ago

Anyone even remotely familiar with me knows I am an endless tinkerer.  I am restless by nature, and easily bored by convention.  As such, I enjoy experimenting, stretching the limits of what constitutes "poetry".  When someone snidely remarks, "That's not a poem!" joy enters my heart. I usually include examples in these messages, but due to the very nature of unconventional form, it would be difficult to include it here.  So, to make it easier for everyone, I shall merely link my own "experiments" as a few examples (if inclined, you can always google "concrete" "cut out" "visual" poems, but that's a sort of crap shoot).

ONE.  The Photo/Art/Image-Poem

OH, how trite it is to write a "picture poem"!  It's a staple in every beginning poetry class to select a picture and "describe" it.  While it's a good exercise for professors to force students to focus on imagery, let's go beyond that here.  So, here's the prompt. 

Choose a picture/painting/image you find moving and INTEGRATE your words with the image.  This is much harder than it sounds.  Not all pictures lend themselves to being graffitied over.  Hence, here's a few tips.

1. Abstract art is GREAT for this. 

2. Pictures of Installation Art can lead to very interesting ideas.

3. If you do choose a picture, try to avoid overly sentimental subjects like starving children or a romantic landscape.  Those images coupled with poems tend to feel Hallmarky. 

4. Don't be afraid to use unconventional images like "wallpapers" or "screen-savers" or "stock photos". Your words and imagination can transform even the most commercial products into art. Also, no rule says you can't use YOUR OWN pics, painting, graphic art and doodling.  In fact, if you're artistically gifted, I encourage it. If you have a sketch lying around and want to use it, simply scan it into your computer.

5. Go with the flow!  Don't be afraid to let the image dictate WHERE your words should go.  That's part of the fun. It's like a one way collaboration.

Method.

Step 1. Most are somewhat familiar with downloading/uploading images, and this works much the same way. 

To imprint words unto the image is relatively easy.  Most photo editing programs (like Picassa, Photoshop, etc) come with a "insert text" option, and it's straight forward. What font and size you prefer will make a DRAMATIC difference, so play with those for a bit before saving a final copy.

Don't be afraid to use all kinds of filters and tricks either.  These are experiments after all, so...experiment!  Make it dark, make it light, invert the colors, layer it, instagram it, Daguerre type, black and white, crop, turn the axis, warmify, cool, whatever...f**k around.  Remember, ultimately it's your work, and go with what visually pleases you.  Just keep in mind that some sort of balance between the words and the image must exist (or not).

Save a few versions, and make sure you save it as a JPEG file if you want it FINAL, and as another type of file if you want to keep editing (for instance, if you're using Photoshop and are "layering", save it as a tif or psd file if you want to continue editing).

Once you have a version you want to share...

Step 2.  Upload image-poem unto Photobucket.

Almost everyone has a photosharing website they use, and I assume many more or less offer similar features.  Personally, I use Photobucket because it can transform whatever image you upload on it to HTML, which you can then embed into the "text" section of your "added writing" (Photobucket is also free).

On Photobucket, it's simple.  Upload your image-poem - it will then make a few codes for that work, one is a link, the other an html code (it's on the right).  Just copy and paste the code right unto your blank "text" section on here, and badda bing, badda boom, you got your image.

Few notes to keep in mind.

a. Sometimes you must save the image twice when you post it.  So, if you save and publish the image and only computer code appears, don't freak out.  Merely "edit" it again, and the image will then pop up.  "Save" it, and you're good.

b. Resize the image to no more than 400ish in width.  This site now seems to have a width maximum, so if it's more than 400 (give or take), it will chop it off (like with my "Bauhaus" poem).  You can always "resize" while keeping it proportional.

c.  You can skip uploading it to Photobucket (etc) and just use the "insert image" button WC provides with new works, but it's somewhat limited.  Plus, once Photobucket creates the HTML code for you, you can embed it to whatever website you want, including your profile here.

d. ALWAYS give credit to whatever artist created the original image (even if it's you!)

Well, it's not your usual prompt, and requires very basic tech skills, but if you experiment in such fashion you will find a whole new world open up, and when looking back at the "left right text, up down, black and white" text matrix, you might suddenly find yourself yawning and boldly embracing the new mixed media universe.