All Those Cynical : Forum : Thoughts on Writing

Thoughts on Writing

13 Years Ago

Do any others feel as though the art of words has become nothing more than ridiculous, meaningless stories, and has lost the power writing should have?

The popular novels of our day have nothing to say, nothing to pass on, with shallow emotions, pointless story lines, and forgettable characters. The quality of writing has plummeted, the eloquence once attributed to writers has been forgotten, and it pains me that the simple sentences and bland phrases are being  celebrated.

Re: Thoughts on Writing

13 Years Ago

I most definitely agree with that. Fabulous books such as "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" are ignored because books like Twilight take over the media for their trite plot and cliched dialogue.   I feel my purpose as a writer is to make people think outside of their comfort zone and that is why I choose to write things that people view as odd or write things that have a certain twist to them because there is not much of that in most books written today.

13 Years Ago

As William Faulkner once said, "He writes not of love but of lust, of defeats in which nobody loses anything of value, and victories without hope and worst of all, without pity or compassion. His griefs grieve on no universal bones, leaving no scars. He writes not of the heart but of the glands."

I feel that it's up to the few who understand what writing is capable of to remind the world of the power of words.

13 Years Ago

Just started up a course entitled The Right Way To Write Wrong. I have several rants on this subject. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Good storytellers are not. I write agressively, and openly mock literary trends and academic standards alike. When I read a book, I ask the narrator "what are you talking about and why should I listen to you?" before going any further.