Alpha Readers : Forum : Finding an Editor

Finding an Editor

9 Years Ago

So, I recently lost my editor. :'(
She was doing me a free service and recently took a teaching job.

Any advice on how to pick a professional editor?
I'm obviously going to get a copy-edit, but is paying for a developmental edit worth it or are beta readers good enough?

Do any of you have experience in this?
What would be your general advice?
Do you have specific advice for me (knowing my writing)?

Re: Finding an Editor

9 Years Ago

What an awesome question!

I wish I had an awesome answer. I don't. But here's one additional factor I do know you'll want to throw into the calculation:

A. How much money do you anticipate earning via this piece? Be honest!
B. Presume for a moment that you will never earn a penny for this work and that it will only be a hobby project to you. How much of your money are you willing to sink into this story to make it the best it can be?

Whatever you spend on an editor, make sure it does not exceed A + B.

Looking forward to reading posts from others!

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the input!
I'm not really sure what my budget is yet, I suppose I'll figure it out after I've finished my revisions.

9 Years Ago

I've actually been beta reader for someone for years now. Ideally, you want a beta ready who can function as an editor as well, before your work ever goes to a publisher's editor. Because, if you get your work into the hands of a publisher, it's understood that you will make the changes they demand or their editor will. I used to a graphic designer in magazine publication and I can tell you that the happiest authors and artists were the ones who were able to present a polished product to the publishers. Even then, all authors have to face the slash and burn pass over their work before it hits the presses.

9 Years Ago

I'm so sorry about that!! :( I wish I could be of help with that. My editor is my cousin and he used to work as an editor for a small publishing company before he became a counselor. As it is, I've only been working with him for two or three years now and, like Momzilla said, I face the slashing and burning of my work by him every time we revise! What I would suggest is to just find an adequate match to your needs as a writer. Just because you lack an editor does not mean that you should bow to the first one that presents themselves to you! Anyone who is willing to lend a hand and has an eye for polishing can qualify but who actually understands what you're getting at with your work and how to make it stronger? My cousin once told me that as an editor, his opinions often clashed with the opinions of the authors but, in the end, it was always about the story and how to make it better. As for how to go about finding one, I'm useless with that, sorry! :( I know I'll do my best to help you out with your work in my reviews, and good luck with finding another editor!! :)

9 Years Ago

Check out Reedsy.com 
it's a great place to look for editors!

9 Years Ago

The gal who edited my book just put out her Open for Business sign. She's great. You can find her at:

Tell her I sent you!

Gre7g