Beyond Fantasy : Forum : Non-Fantasy Novelists Wiring I..

Non-Fantasy Novelists Writing In The Fantasy Genre

14 Years Ago

In your view, is this always a bad idea? I can think of a few exceptions, anyway. Firstly, there are Clive Barker's novels, "Weaveworld" and "The Thief Of Always". Also, Stephen King wrote "The Eyes Of The Dragon" and "Talisman" (co-written with Peter Straub).

What do other group members think about this matter?

Re: Non-Fantasy Novelists Wiring In The Fantasy Genre

13 Years Ago

Every fantasy novelist was, at one time, someone who didn't write fantasy novels; no one is born with pen in hand.  If they had some experience writing fiction before they turned to writing fantasy, at least they had the practice.  I do think that horror writers (unless they stuck to mundane, mad-slasher type horror) make the transition easier than, say, writers of literary or chick-lit novels.  And I can always spot a fantasy novel by a romance writer who thought that he or she (there are more men writing romances than you realize - they just have to hide their identities behind female pen names!) could slap referrences to magic on a standard romance plot, give the male lead some armor and a sword, and ta-da! instant fantasy novel.