Beyond Fantasy : Forum : How do you choose your names?

How do you choose your names?

14 Years Ago

What's a in a name?

My question to all of you out there is how do you create your fantasy character's names? Do you use a book --- or maybe one of them software programs that just scramble the words for you? Or how do YOU do it?

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

One of the ways that I pick names for any of my stories that I write is I scroll through the credits on movies. It's an interesting way to find name combos that go together that sound realistic for the most part. The movie that had a lot of interesting names was Underworld. But you can find them anywhere. I also use Baby name sites to find some interesting names. 

Re: How do you choose your names?

13 Years Ago

I've used movie credits as a way to brainstorm for names, too.  Better than most of those baby name books, which don't offer enough ethnic or historical variation.   A book like The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook is pretty useful, at least for starters.  Alas, it doesn't give adequate definitions of those names, but it does have a lot of variety:  Arabic, Celtic, Maori, Welsh, Old Norse...   I would NEVER use an online letter-scrambler thingie to create character names.

13 Years Ago

Sometimes I use a little Collins book on name meanings. Sometimes 'baby names' websites. Sometimes I use names from mythology. Sometimes I just make 'em up! :D Every now and then I just come up with a combination of letters and think: "That would make a great character name!" :D Also, sometimes unusual surnames can make good fantasy-type names. :) Hope this is helpful. :)

13 Years Ago

Since my novel takes place in an alternative world, a sort of medieval England if you will, I chose my names from a databank of traditional English names. For the fays of my novel, who are based on the Irish Tuatha Dé Danaan of the mythological histories, I use mythological Irish names, such as Cáel, Neasa, Morrighan, Rioghnach, and Cliodhna.

11 Years Ago

I have japanese names in my books becasue so my characters have meanings to them, I also do this to piss off my reads

11 Years Ago

I do search a lot before I name a character as I like my names to have the correct meaning but in the end I choose based on instict. What would fit best...

11 Years Ago

A friend suggested I consider using old celtic and old(e) English names - some fantastic medieval names out there.  My favourite became a key demonic figure in my writing - Filkyn - inspires all sorts of images just by reading it.

11 Years Ago

There are tons of different name generators out there, I sometimes use them as a starting point. 
Other times I read words backwards and see if they, with some modification, can be used as names (for characters or places). 

11 Years Ago

Honestly?  I usually pull them out of old video games or out of thin air.

11 Years Ago

I pick my names by picking a letter and go through sounds until a name forms in my head, or if i'm working with a certain area i'll look up common and uncommon names from the area and chose one that seems to fit the charcter.

10 Years Ago

I usually use the baby names sites, especially the ones from Norway or Ireland, I also do research for old Celtic and such. When I did this name research I got horrified how unoriginal the writers like Tolkien were when it came to picking the names for the characters. Sometimes I combine two names to make them sound more original.

10 Years Ago

It depends on what kind of story I'm working on. For a realistic story, I use realistic names, though like throwing less common ones in. On a fantasy story, I go all out with the creative names and usually just think of them out of the blue or to go on baby name sites, typically if I am looking for a name with a certain meaning or origin. Also, I mesh different names together, though I normally end up with ones I made up.

But always think of the character your naming, does the name suit them? Their personality or ability? You want the name to be memorable and different enough from all the other characters so as to not lose the character in the shuffle. 

9 Years Ago

Try these sites, I like to mix things up using these:
1) 
2)